Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

(Prince) George’s World

(126 Posts)
MawBe Fri 30-Jul-21 09:45:12

A new animated series about the Royal family portrays Prince George as a scathing commentator on palace life. The Prince, which will air on the US streaming service HBO Max, has a cast that includes Orlando Bloom as the Duke of Sussex and Frances de la Tour as the Queen. It is based on an Instagram run by Gary Janetti, a writer for Family Guy and Will & Grace

Hmm- not at all sure about this.
I suspect Frances de la Tour (whom I have always admired up to now) will be waving goodbye to any OBE/CBE/Damehoods in future Honours lists.
It does seem to be crass to make a cartoon series about living people and (maybe I am being a wee bit patriotic here) about our Royal Family who for the most part are held in high respect both at hone and abroad ( OK maybe not ALL of them!) .

Namsnanny Sat 31-Jul-21 10:03:40

Love the clip MawBe I'd watch that film!

mokryna Sat 31-Jul-21 10:00:23

Surely every child not matter what the situation is has the RIGHT TO PRIVACY.

However, in this case I would think silence could be the best policy to ride out the storm, to avoid publicly and advertising this program.

As for accents, some American parents are complaining that their children have English accents and vocabulary because they were watching Pepper Pig.

Namsnanny Sat 31-Jul-21 09:59:52

their commentary might have more potential
Remember Frank Muir? He did an animation about his Afghan dog didn't he?

MawBe Sat 31-Jul-21 09:49:47

Who needs a silly film about George when you can have a film about ME? tcrsmile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=riIPhs80ARk

Namsnanny Sat 31-Jul-21 09:47:34

I found a clip MawBe but didn't click on it.
What I did read was the release date was changed because of DofE death.
As the portrayal of his character was considered quite scathing.
Apparently it all started as an Instagram 'thing'.
Which should tell us the average age of viewers they are aiming at.

luluaugust Sat 31-Jul-21 09:46:50

Whilst most adults can appreciate drivel when they see it I do hope Prince George doesn't suffer teasing at school over this.

Ellianne Sat 31-Jul-21 09:38:52

In reply to MawBe's post .... me, of course

Ellianne Sat 31-Jul-21 09:37:39

Oi, your maj, wait til your back is turned and I'll be wolfing down all them cakes.

You know that piss in George's tea, well no one let me out earlier did they? Needs must.

Can I sleep on Louis' bed tonight? He needs a bit of taming.

Oops, need to stand up on my back paws for "Dog save the Queen" now.

I'll be back. Woof woof.

Namsnanny Sat 31-Jul-21 09:33:35

My post was to Nezumi65

Namsnanny Sat 31-Jul-21 09:31:49

I dont think it matters whether the voice is the same similar or otherwise.
There is no mistaking who the parody is about.
That's the point. It wouldn't be considered funny (questionable) if it was any random 8yr old.
There is in fact only one person in the world this could be portraying.
I think its setting an unfair precedent.

MawBe Sat 31-Jul-21 09:16:46

Having started the thread it has taken me until now to find the clip /trailer and it is crass. In the cast list they refer to “Middleton” which is pretty rude for a start and nothing I saw looked even remotely funny - clumsy, childish, stereotyped so-called humour. The Queen is neither funny nor “bad-ass granny” and I could see no “scathing commentary” on palace life.
Not even a corgi. Their commentary might have had more potential come to think of it.

Nezumi65 Sat 31-Jul-21 08:19:30

Or maybe the only one who vaguely manages it.

Nezumi65 Sat 31-Jul-21 08:18:49

I honestly wouldn’t care - as grandma70s says the george voice is American and it is just silly. It’s no closer to real life than Disney princes and princesses.

Orlando Bloom is the only one who even attempts to match a voice.

Grandma70s Sat 31-Jul-21 08:15:26

I think the man who is doing Prince George’s voice thinks he is doing an English accent He isn’t.

If it was about my family I hope I would ignore it. It is so obviously silly. Not satire, just silly.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 31-Jul-21 07:58:27

I’m so angry that they can put adult situations and voices onto young children even if it is animation. Prince Louis is voiced as a thug!!
Would you like it if it was about your GCs? Or would you still laugh and say it was only satire and so far from the truth about your own family that people would just laugh? Millions of people.
No , I thought not.
And for those who are as disgusted as I am maybe we can do something about it? A petition maybe? Not sure who to though.

Nezumi65 Sat 31-Jul-21 06:49:45

Saw a clip. It was very clearly so far from the RF that it could not be seen as a mocking of the person. Prince Louis for example has a really deep voice and is portrayed as a scary thug. I don’t think anyone is meant to think the character is based on the actual Prince Louis. Adults are voicing the kids - it’s pure fantasy, not to be taken as a suggestion of the characters of the kids

trisher Fri 30-Jul-21 21:23:57

But nothing is being said about any school and as I said the uniform in the programme is ubiquitous.

Ellianne Fri 30-Jul-21 20:59:20

But this thread should centre on the child and the bullying, not on the school, so I will say no more.

Ellianne Fri 30-Jul-21 20:54:41

I realise that there is antipathy to private schools on GN and that posters do not always understand how they operate. Let me explain, if an independent school feels that it is being misrepresented or that something is defamatory to the school, then they may well pursue it.
False comments cannot be made about any organisation, be it a school or not, without running the risk of litigation. Not hogwash.

trisher Fri 30-Jul-21 20:40:24

I take it you realise the statement about taking legal action is complete hogwash Ellianne but don't want to admit it. hence the banter claim.

Ellianne Fri 30-Jul-21 18:21:55

Ellianne

Nope. My images are far closer than yours, unless my eyes deceive me.

Here, the kids' playground banter, trisher.
My ...... is bigger than yours.

ElaineI Fri 30-Jul-21 18:09:57

Mocking a child or teenager like that is wrong in so many ways. It could seriously harm their mental health and self esteem and cause relentless bullying. I am not a fan of the RF but was disgusted with the clip on TV.

trisher Fri 30-Jul-21 18:08:31

Ellianne

I think the playground banter of the last few comments is lost on you trisher!

I wasn't the one who posted I have just spoken with someone very knowledgeable who says the school would be well within their rights to seek legal advice about the portrayal of the young pupils dressed in that particular school's uniform

that's the strangest banter I've ever seen. grin

Ellianne Fri 30-Jul-21 17:29:55

Blossoming

Ellianne “posh” children at “posh” schools are just as capable of sneaking and bullying as we lesser beings.

That is again a very strange comment. Who said they weren't?
Anyway if you read Thomas's Anti Bullying Policy it should put your mind at rest.

Nanna58 Fri 30-Jul-21 17:28:50

Appalling , to lampoon children , ANY children in this way. Some compassion and restraint should be used here, adults if you must but children never.