Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone else fed up with......

(180 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 04-Aug-21 20:54:18

All the 'stars' doing travel programmes. Just seen two reminders about Fern Britain going to Cornwall and Paul Merton in a camper van with a lady I've never heard of. We have had programmes about Scotland and Wales too quite recently. Is it due to covid and the TV companies have run out of dramas etc so they resort to travel programmes as they can be socially distanced. They are nice to watch but there seems to be so many.

Babbawabba Thu 23-Sep-21 00:22:20

Right. I’ve had enough. I am stopping watching Sky News because I can’t stand Beth Rigby’s bad diction one day longer. What an affectation for such an educated journalist to drop her g-s like that.

crazyH Sat 04-Sep-21 17:58:57

Oh I hope I've got that right - if not, my apologies

crazyH Sat 04-Sep-21 17:58:16

Just heard that Richard E Grant's wife has passed away ?

Mumofthree Sat 04-Sep-21 17:22:47

travelsafar

All the 'stars' doing travel programmes. Just seen two reminders about Fern Britain going to Cornwall and Paul Merton in a camper van with a lady I've never heard of. We have had programmes about Scotland and Wales too quite recently. Is it due to covid and the TV companies have run out of dramas etc so they resort to travel programmes as they can be socially distanced. They are nice to watch but there seems to be so many.

hi, I have been watching that Paul Merton show as I just bought a campervan, it is his wife Suki but she keeps her own name.

travelnan Sat 04-Sep-21 16:41:56

Looking forward to the new series of A House Through Time with David Olusoga. It is on BBC2 at 9pm next Tuesday. Have enjoyed the previous series and hearing about all the previous occupants.

tippytipsy Thu 02-Sep-21 10:33:52

Yes, Michael Portillo hiking around North Cirnwall last night and being so arrogant about not having to worry about nature if you live in a city. Really condescending he was and not doing himself any favours. And I used to quite like him.

Amberone Sun 29-Aug-21 15:53:37

If I really want to sit around, then watching Nothing to Declare reminds me what not to do when I visit Australia.

Mollygo I don't watch much TV but I have seen this and it totally fascinates me. One had a Chinese family with about five suitcases stuffed with food of various sorts because they were staying in a hotel and didn't want to pay for meals. And some of the things they find in the mail - snakes, scarab beetles, drugs of all sorts.

DanniRae Sun 29-Aug-21 14:04:22

Added to your list MM -

Making cider
Splitting slates
Cheese making and testing
Old weaving machines
Demo of creating dry stone walls
Demo of creating hedges

Maybe I just watch too much tv!!

Franco Sun 29-Aug-21 13:07:04

Don't be coy, which area do you live in? I might live in it too.

Jaxjacky Tue 17-Aug-21 11:30:52

I enjoyed exploring Northern Ireland with Siobhan McSweeney last week and will continue to watch the series.

MoorlandMooner Tue 17-Aug-21 10:31:05

Things I've seen more than enough of on TV:-

Sheep, so many, many sheep being born
People in white suits tending bees
Celebrities going down that zip line thing in Wales
People whittling wood in woodland shelters
Wetsuit wearing 'stars' having surfing lessons - paddle paddle flipping paddle.
Dry stone walling
Couples who have escaped the rat race to brew artisan gin using 'botanicals'

I recently really enjoyed Living Wild: How to Change Your Life presented by the inspiring Sophie Morgan. Definitely not the usual indulged talking head churning out scripted lines on a run of the mill tour.

www.channel4.com/programmes/living-wild-how-to-change-your-life

Grandma2213 Tue 17-Aug-21 01:01:15

I like watching the programmes about the different places in Britain but have often thought it would be good if the people who were 'travelling' were not celebrities but ordinary people who have never had the chance to explore their country and for whom it would be a brand new, exciting experience. I, for one, would be a most enthusiastic visitor to beautiful areas and would be fascinated by local history, nature or past and present working practices. I would do it for free!! grin

Callistemon Wed 11-Aug-21 20:48:47

Interested

One thing to note is that the BBC commissions private companies like Paul Merton's company to produce these programmes. This explains why we constantly see the same faces on the television all the time. It's almost like a private club. Also of course there is some acting. Paul Merton finding someone playing a strange musical instrument as he gets off his motorhome is not a happy coincidence. I completely agree this is cheap television which enriches the few in the club. This is an article about making documentaries.
www.independent.co.uk/voices/bbc-david-attenborough-nature-documentaries-fake-a8291961.html

Kate Humble's husband, Ludo Graham, is a TV producer and director as well as cameraman.

Keep it in the family.

MissAdventure Wed 11-Aug-21 19:19:14

I do enjoy countryfile.
At least nobody sings! smile

linspot Wed 11-Aug-21 18:49:20

I record what I want to watch as I am out at work all day but what I really hate is the barrage of funeral plan advertisements! We know we are going to die, we would all like to have everything paid for and sorted in advance but do we have to be constantly reminded of our own mortality when things are tough enough at the moment? I watch TV to relax for goodness sake.

madeleine45 Mon 09-Aug-21 07:56:27

I agree they are just doing it for cheap tv. We have had that and sport non stop. where are the decent plays to watch.? Even if they are not showing new plays there must be plenty of recorded good plays for today etc that they have and if we must have repeats at least they might be worth watching. Plays with good actors in and not just police dramas!

jaylucy Sun 08-Aug-21 20:30:15

Living in the middle of the country, in a county that must win an award for the fewest visits let alone mentions from Countryfile, it would be quite nice to have a travel programme about this area!
But I must admit that I have learnt something different from most of the coastal programmes !

Mollygo Sun 08-Aug-21 12:57:23

All those travels with a celebrity and repeats of things I didn’t watch in the first place have been good for my health. Except for during the Olympics, some of which I’ve enjoyed on various programs, the TV isn’t on but then . . . Back came Only Connect and University challenge! Hurray! That’s Monday evening taken care of. We’ll just have to wait for autumn for the rest of the week to catch up.
If I really want to sit around, then watching Nothing to Declare reminds me what not to do when I visit Australia.

barbs72 Sun 08-Aug-21 11:15:35

True, if not having a jolly, there is usually a book in the pipeline

Lilyflower Sun 08-Aug-21 11:09:42

It's summer. There is never anything engaging on TV in August. Wait until the autumn and all the good stuff will come back.

Violettham Sun 08-Aug-21 10:15:13

yes very fed up with this

Interested Sun 08-Aug-21 08:42:07

One thing to note is that the BBC commissions private companies like Paul Merton's company to produce these programmes. This explains why we constantly see the same faces on the television all the time. It's almost like a private club. Also of course there is some acting. Paul Merton finding someone playing a strange musical instrument as he gets off his motorhome is not a happy coincidence. I completely agree this is cheap television which enriches the few in the club. This is an article about making documentaries.
www.independent.co.uk/voices/bbc-david-attenborough-nature-documentaries-fake-a8291961.html

Kayteetay1 Sun 08-Aug-21 06:47:48

Yes enjoying most of them. Programme makers have been very limited in what they can produce during the pandemic for obvious reasons. Period dramas would be somewhat challenging to film due to social distancing and the relentless need to isolate. The UK has some wonderful scenery so why not showcase?

Lesley60 Sun 08-Aug-21 01:47:51

Tv is just full of reality tv aimed towards the young these days, and half of these so called celebrities I wouldn’t recognise if I bumped into them in the street.
It’s just cheap, lazy TV they get enough in license fees to give us better than this

Kate1949 Sat 07-Aug-21 23:13:35

I agree. Too many but thanks for mentioning the Richard E Grant ones. We've watched two today. They were great.