Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone else fed up with......

(179 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 04-Aug-21 20:54:18

All the 'stars' doing travel programmes. Just seen two reminders about Fern Britain going to Cornwall and Paul Merton in a camper van with a lady I've never heard of. We have had programmes about Scotland and Wales too quite recently. Is it due to covid and the TV companies have run out of dramas etc so they resort to travel programmes as they can be socially distanced. They are nice to watch but there seems to be so many.

Maddison Wed 04-Aug-21 20:59:06

i agree, during these strange times we could do with a good drama or series we can get into and take our mind off things i don't mind the odd travelling programme but maybe somewhere different rather than Scotland or wales but a lot of us can't travel so makes us miss our holidays

Anniebach Wed 04-Aug-21 20:59:22

Far too many

Skydancer Wed 04-Aug-21 21:00:01

Yes there are loads of them. I like travel programmes but would rather they were done by professionals than celebrities. I do think the TV companies are running out of ideas. Fewer people watch TV these days. It must be very difficult.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 04-Aug-21 21:02:51

My DH wants to watch every railway travel programme - I'd prefer to do the travelling!!

Lillie Wed 04-Aug-21 21:03:04

getting fed up with all the wows and gasping noises from celebritities when they visit these places
its as thought they have never been out and about before

LullyDully Wed 04-Aug-21 21:36:59

(At least we don't have too much of Joanna Lumley recently.)

Always seem like " jollies" to me. Being paid to travel somewhere enjoyable and natter about it to the grateful British public.

Calendargirl Wed 04-Aug-21 21:55:38

Susan Calman was visiting different seaside resorts recently. Michael Ball in Wales, probably breaking into song at every touch and turn.
Craig and Bruno’s Great British Road Trip.
Yes, they all seem to be jumping on the celebrity travel bandwagon.

Not watched any of them.

MissAdventure Wed 04-Aug-21 21:55:57

Jane Macdonald is my pet hate.
I wish she would cruise off into the sunset and stay there for a very long time.

BlueBelle Wed 04-Aug-21 22:34:55

Won’t watch any of them
All the celebrity programmes make me feel sick

Zoejory Wed 04-Aug-21 22:36:54

I agree. And there's also too many jumping on the farm/countryside bandwagon.

Have to own up to having deep love for Jane MacDonald in this house though. Until she starts to sing. Then we go off her a bit.

MissAdventure Wed 04-Aug-21 22:39:08

I watched some with my neighbour.
Jane was cruising somewhere or other, and went on a boat trip into a cave.
All dark and quiet inside it, and suddenly "la la la...." sad off she goes, singing.

Callistemon Wed 04-Aug-21 22:53:52

Yes *travelsafar!

Only last evening I had a good old moan about this.

I decided that they are cheap to make, fill programme schedules without the producers having to think too much, spend too much or even do very much.

Some were enjoyable years ago, well researched and insightful, for example the series made by Simon Reeve and I enjoyed Rick Stein's journeys combined with cookery and also the Hairy Bikers' travels (only just caught up with some of these), Michael Palin and Michael Portillo.

Some of the farming programmes were good but we have far too many of those now.

And now we have a plethora of programmes by "personalities" travelling around the UK.
Barrel scraping comes to mind. I think we've had enough.

Esspee Wed 04-Aug-21 23:15:36

travelsafar. Paul Merton is travelling with his wife in that programme which I won’t be watching either. I don’t watch any of the other cheap programmes that fill the schedules these days. Apart from the news and some drama we mainly watch Netflix.

maddyone Wed 04-Aug-21 23:33:24

I prefer travelling programmes to cookery programmes, but I have to confess we’re watching very little live television at the moment. The news, the Olympics, and our old favourite Corrie, and that’s it. Otherwise we’re watching things on iPlayer.

Callistemon Wed 04-Aug-21 23:34:39

Esspee

*travelsafar*. Paul Merton is travelling with his wife in that programme which I won’t be watching either. I don’t watch any of the other cheap programmes that fill the schedules these days. Apart from the news and some drama we mainly watch Netflix.

Even worse! So they both get paid for travelling round and enjoying themselves

MayBee70 Wed 04-Aug-21 23:44:00

It’s obviously the only sort of travel type programmes that were easy to make during the pandemic. Given that I couldn’t go to the sort of places I would have liked to travel to I’ve rather enjoyed watching them, my favourite one being Rick Steins Cornwall which surprised me as I never particularly liked Rick Stein. I’ve enjoyed several of the Ch5 ones and found myself watching Ch5 quite a lot recently. It did make me sad to think that I was enjoying watching most of these programmes because I had been to those places though, and young people weren’t able to do the sort if travelling that I did when I was in my late teens/early twenties: the age at which I think the mind is most receptive to the stimulation that travel provides.

Mollygo Thu 05-Aug-21 00:26:50

Simon Reeve -yes
Michael Portillo in Australia -yes for the country but some bits are a bit cringeworthy.
I’ve enjoyed a series of programs about places where you see them from the air .
But Jane, Paul Merton, Susan Calman, Michael Ball - boring, and rub it in that we haven’t been allowed to travel, why don’t you!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Aug-21 01:19:34

“Write around the World with Richard E Grant”

Is rather good though.

Callistemon Thu 05-Aug-21 09:40:57

Michael Portillo in Australia -yes for the country but some bits are a bit cringeworthy.

"Well, hello Michael, what a surprise!" when he chats to a fellow passenger. I was amused the other evening by the poor chap snoozing away next to the woman chatting avidly with Michael.

PinkCosmos Thu 05-Aug-21 09:47:01

Not quite the same, but I love the Aerial America/Europe etc. programmes on the Smithsonian channel.

There is commentary but just from some random voiceover person - not a celeb.

They are really interesting programmes as it talks about the history and landscape etc.

timetogo2016 Thu 05-Aug-21 09:50:44

And to top it,they have picked the most boring celebs ( so to speak ) ever.
I won`t be watching,i would rather watch grass grow.

MayBee70 Thu 05-Aug-21 10:02:36

Whitewavemark2

“Write around the World with Richard E Grant”

Is rather good though.

Binge watched that last night. Spain was especially interesting as I’ve just binge watched the Hemingway documentary. Isn’t Richard E Grant adorable!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 05-Aug-21 10:15:36

I have been watching many of the travel programmes recently as it has been nigh on impossible to travel anywhere.

I am able to zone out the presenter if I am not a fan, I enjoy the scenery and have found some places of interest to visit when we have our freedom returned.

sodapop Thu 05-Aug-21 12:59:26

I thought the same thing when I heard about Fern Britton. Too many ' celebs' enjoying themselves at our expense, to say nothing of camera crews etc.
I did however enjoy Bradley & Barney Walsh on their travels, they have a lovely relationship.