Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Strictly, yay!

(1001 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Sat 14-Aug-21 09:50:33

So, fellow fans, what do we think of the lineup? A very mixed bunch, personally only know of five, I’m sure we will soon have our favourites. Can’t wait for the glitz and glamour to brighten the long dark nights looming?

Maggiemaybe Sun 15-Aug-21 07:57:02

Bluebellwould

Oh dear, I hate it. All that false enthusiasm, the politics, the rigged voting, the simpering idiots, the sympathy comic entrant. Well I sincerely hope all you enthusiasts enjoy it. I’m off to hide behind sofa with a good book ?????

I hate all that too, Bluebellwould.

I like the actual dancing though, and the costumes and choreography, and to see how the contestants who genuinely haven’t got a dancing background improve over the weeks. So I record it and flick through all the fluff. Strictly is a very short show in this house. smile

Charleygirl5 Sun 15-Aug-21 09:27:33

Who is Robert Webb? I think I recognise the names of three who will be starting on Strictly. I have a feeling that Dan Walker has two left feet but time will tell.

Maggiemaybe Sun 15-Aug-21 09:56:23

Ah, Robert Webb’s one of the few I do know. From (David) Mitchell and Webb? And C4’s Peep Show and Back, two of my favourite comedies.

Calendargirl Sat 18-Sep-21 20:56:40

Missed the first 3/4 hour, but not very interested in the introduction of celebrities to their partners.

They all seem absolutely thrilled with who they’ve got, which is fortunate.

Oh, the bake-off winner has been paired with Johannes. How appropriate.

NotTooOld Sat 18-Sep-21 21:12:14

I feel sad. I used to luuurve Strictly for years but then it went all shouty and emotional and luvvy and made me cringe, so I don't watch it now except sometimes on YouTube. Shame.

NanKate Sat 18-Sep-21 21:18:12

I agree Nottooold it’s so over the top. I had the sound off except when they were dancing. I don’t think I will bother to watch except for the Finals.

Amberone Sat 18-Sep-21 21:21:10

Me too Maggiemaybe - OH hates it all, so I watch it on Iplayer while I'm ironing or working in the kitchen then I can ignore bits of it. I love the dancing and the costumes. I have two left feet so admire anyone who can dance. Rarely have any interest in the celebs unless there is someone I love to watch dancing, so it makes no difference if I don't know any of them

Amberone Sat 18-Sep-21 21:24:47

NotTooOld my favourite dance is the Argentine Tango and I spent three hours one night watching as many as I could find on YouTube - brilliant ?

kittylester Sat 18-Sep-21 21:32:25

Loving the Rose and Giovanni pairing!!

Grandmadinosaur Sat 18-Sep-21 21:35:35

kittylester me too. I can’t wait to see them dance.

3dognight Sat 18-Sep-21 21:35:36

kittylester

Loving the Rose and Giovanni pairing!!

Yes my favourites!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 18-Sep-21 21:39:50

I have a soft spot for Tom Fletcher (DD was an avid McFly fan and I have been to many of their concerts), looking forward to seeing Johanas and John Whaite. (sp)

Sara1954 Sat 18-Sep-21 21:43:41

I am so happy it’s back, we are a multi generational family, and we all love it, loved the opening show, and can’t wait for the next one.
I don’t really know anyone either, but soon will no doubt.

HurdyGurdy Sat 18-Sep-21 21:52:12

I don't know his name, but the CBeebies presenter looked to be pretty good.

I don't really pay attention to the "meet your partner" episodes, they're all too shrieky - especially those who were paired with this year's new professionals. How can they be so fired up over being paired with someone they've never seen before.

But I will be watching all future shows. I just love the costumes (especially Halloween) and seeing how the celebrities who have no dance background progress as the weeks go on.

Grandmabatty Sat 18-Sep-21 21:53:17

Not enough dancing tonight for me. I muted all the lovey stuff.

Sweetpeasue Sat 18-Sep-21 22:00:51

Tonight's celebrity partnering was so drawn out but so looking forward to next week's dancing.
Dan seems such a lovely man, great presenter, though watching him tonight with other dancers I thought he looked a bit awkward.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 06:57:47

We video it. Then whizz through all the nonsense and twattery to watch just the dancing, and even that gets fast forwarded if it’s rubbish.

Usually manage an episode in 20 minutes ????

ginny Sun 19-Sep-21 07:40:15

I love the costumes and the dancing so do the same as some others. Record and fast forward through the rest.

Kim19 Sun 19-Sep-21 07:47:12

Thought the introductions programme last night was hideously drawn out but that's over and now it's happy all the way for me. Comforted to read the comments re Dan's seeming gaucheness as I thought the same. Maybe just nerves. Sure hope so. BRING IT ON!

FindingNemo15 Sun 19-Sep-21 08:11:10

easybee and Alegrias1 - Greg Dyke - I think you mean Greg Wise.

Sara1954 Sun 19-Sep-21 08:23:14

We watch every second because the children like it, we like to guess the pairing, I think it may be a good year, we thought the CBeebies boy looked good, so very much looking forward to seeing some dancing.

TillyTrotter Sun 19-Sep-21 08:27:38

This season’s bunch have great promise - can’t wait for them to get started properly.
Loved the Pro dance (think it was an Argentine tango? Please correct me if that’s wrong?).

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Sep-21 08:40:32

FindingNemo15

easybee and Alegrias1 - Greg Dyke - I think you mean Greg Wise.

I think that Alegrias was aware of that wink

I heard yesterday on the news that there was a lot of trouble behind the scenes.
Two of the pro dancers have refused to have the Covid vaccine, and none of the celebs were prepared to be paired with them.

Grandmafrench Sun 19-Sep-21 08:46:10

eazybee

I'm not watching it until one of the Mabuse sisters leaves the show; one sister wins two years running immediately her sister becomes a judge. Really? I stopped watching when they promoted the dreadful Aleisha Dixon, and didn't miss it.

That said, I so hope Greg Dyke does well; I always felt Emma Thompson emasculated him and squashed his development as an actor after Sense and Sensibility.

Greg Wise, perhaps. Greg Dyke hopefully not.

eazybee Sun 19-Sep-21 08:46:56

Nemo you are right: Greg Wise. Sincere apologies.

He was one of only three people I recognised and I liked him even more, although I fear we shall hear more about 'my lovely wife Emma Thompson' every time he opens his mouth.
I shall do as others intend, record the programme and fast-forward to the dancing and judges 'comments, other than the ridiculous Motsi.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion