Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Charlie Watts

(60 Posts)
Mouseybrown60 Tue 24-Aug-21 17:37:45

It has just been announced that Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones has died aged 80. RIP Charlie.

Shropshirelass Fri 27-Aug-21 10:03:17

Yes it is sad, I read that he didn’t listen to the Stones music as he didn’t like it! Drumming was his job and he just went to do his job. He was a brilliant drummer, irreplaceable. Wonder what Mick Jagger will do now, retire?

glammagran Wed 25-Aug-21 22:18:42

“Songstress* I think One Direction are long defunct.

Charlie Watts bypassed the 60’s in terms of drugs but I’ve read in one article that he was a heroin user in the ‘80’s which surprised me.

MayBee70 Wed 25-Aug-21 20:50:52

One thing I started to realise as I got older was which people would age well and which wouldn’t. I know of several nerdy looking men that no one looked at when young that turned into suave silver foxes as they got older. What Charlie had (and that’s the secret to ageing well) was amazing bone structure. What a beauty his wife is. I don’t think I’ve ever seen photos if her before. And, as if they couldn’t get any more wonderful as a couple they used to rescue retired greyhounds, too.

olliebeak Wed 25-Aug-21 18:28:26

Juliet27

As Maybee wrote Was it Marianne Faithfull that said it was only when she got older that she realised Charlie was the good looking one
I’d never taken much notice of him but looking at photos of him on the news today, he certainly was good looking.

Yeah - Charlie was never considered to be 'the good-looking one' of The Stones - that honour went to Brian Jones and Keith Richards (in the very early days). He was 'just there' as others have said.

The difference is that he hasn't destroyed his body with all kinds of rubbish. I'm amazed that Keith is still able to still stand up on his own two feet.

He may not have been handsome at the age of 23 - but for an 80yr old, he ain't bad at all ;-)

songstress60 Wed 25-Aug-21 17:40:48

I was both a Stones and Beatles fan. they gave great music. Don't think One Direction will last as long and Harry Styles has NO talent. It's all about his looks. All the Stones are amazing.

Edith81 Wed 25-Aug-21 16:32:30

I liked The Stones and The Beatles equally as they were totally different. RIP Charlie, he will be sorely missed by his band mates.

Gabrielle56 Wed 25-Aug-21 15:21:04

#clip ! .....never don't check....

Gabrielle56 Wed 25-Aug-21 15:20:36

Thanks for flip silver ridge .like eavesdropping on friends' chat , wonderful.

Gabrielle56 Wed 25-Aug-21 15:09:35

Cool quiet and the best 'stone' for me in 60s/70s . Gone to the great big drum choir in the sky , say hi to everyone from all of us charlie.what a loss

homefarm Wed 25-Aug-21 13:54:09

Will certainly be missed.
Knew him when he was a very good graphic artist with a 'respectable' day job, very kind to everyone.

Bossyrossy Wed 25-Aug-21 13:36:39

In the early 60s I saw the Stones at Finsbury Park Empire, and at the free concert in Hyde Park. A few years ago they played again at Hyde Park (definitely not free) and I took my three grown up kids to see them, we had a wonderful time. Charlie was always my favourite, a great drummer and a lovely man. RIP.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 25-Aug-21 11:46:17

A true gentleman and a bit of a dandy. I was listening to the tributes to Charlie on the radio during the night and as well as his love of jazz, horses, family and clothes he was also very knowledgeable on military history.
A quiet enigma of a man who will be much missed.
RIP Charlie and condolences to his family.

GagaJo Wed 25-Aug-21 11:27:43

Great story here about Charlie punching Mick for calling him 'his drummer'.

consequence.net/2021/08/charlie-watts-punched-mick-jagger/?fbclid=IwAR05T1_WIR33EEyhsUNn_Rlx7z_WG5QsgFAwTqZohFhfWicJtq_KzArBCio

Nannapat1 Wed 25-Aug-21 11:04:32

Very sad, the end of an era for me when The Stones start to die. They somehow seemed invincible. Apart from Brian Jones of course.
Totally agree

cupcake1 Wed 25-Aug-21 10:55:35

RIP Charlie the most ‘normal’ one in the band ?

Paperbackwriter Wed 25-Aug-21 10:53:47

Deedaa

I always thought Charlie gave the impression that he would rather have been playing jazz - and why not?

Charlie did prefer jazz and had projects of his own going on with jazz musicians. He came to our house once for work-related stuff and was a delight.

annifrance Wed 25-Aug-21 10:53:26

Charlie was my favourite Stone, very sad that he's died. Great tributes to him in the Guardian last night.

I loved that he and his wife bred Arab horses. I once saw a photo of them at a horse event. Charlie was as ever sartorial in morning dress.

We have many Wagtails around our pool, my favourite bird, and they remind me of Charlie in his morning dress, or father of the bride, and I call them all Charlie Watts as they strut around the pool while I float in my water hammock. I shall regard them with even more affection now.

Rosalyn69 Wed 25-Aug-21 10:49:57

Icon. Sadly missed.

Jane43 Wed 25-Aug-21 10:47:22

Sad to see another icon of the music of our youth gone, he always seemed such a gentle soul. RIP Charlie.

henetha Wed 25-Aug-21 10:24:38

I love the Stones and admire their doggedness is keeping on going. Rest in peace, the wonderfully musical and elegant Charlie Watts.

NotSpaghetti Wed 25-Aug-21 08:06:17

Nice little tribute from Stewart Copeland today.

He explained the technical way Charlie played - which I'd honestly never given a moment's thought to. Why would I?
Obviously lots of drummers had.
What an amazing driven sound he helped create.

Esspee Wed 25-Aug-21 06:49:04

First time I saw the Stones live they weren't even top of the bill. Last time was in Barcelona on their European tour a few years ago.
Charlie was the anchor and will be much missed.

BigBertha1 Wed 25-Aug-21 06:02:52

Stones forme. RIP Charlie xx

Shirleyw Wed 25-Aug-21 05:03:29

Sad news. Thanks for the clip silverbridge, very good.

Shinamae Tue 24-Aug-21 23:05:24

Shine on Charlie Watts ……✨??