Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Vigil on bbc1

(209 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 30-Aug-21 08:36:38

I started watching this half heartedly last night as it has the same small pool of current popular actors and actresses in it, and one of them i am not really keen on. But to my surprise it drew me in. The setting of being underwater in a submarine is different and i am looking forward to the next episode this evening.

Silverbridge Wed 15-Sep-21 19:38:13

Yes, I'm hanging on in there but finding the scenes onboard Vigil somewhat daft. Why on earth did Silva allow cook Jackie to be summoned over the tannoy instead of quietly and in-person asking her to report to the skipper? It was obvious what was going to happen. So was that Glover doing the rugby tackle?

The police shorebound investigation side seems more plausible although I'd question whether Longacre is senior enough to be involved in a top-level Downing Street briefing.

Good to see Susannah Doyle as defence secretary. I can't recall seeing her in much at all since Drop the Dead Donkey.

Chestnut Wed 15-Sep-21 17:47:26

Anyone still watching this? I decided to drop out last Sunday as it was all happening so fast the pace was ridiculous. They seem to be overheating the plot. I can't imagine how the actors keep up that frantic pace. I followed LoD just fine so I'm not getting senile (hope not anyway) but this is not an enjoyable watch in my opinion. Not for me.

Callistemon Tue 07-Sep-21 23:52:28

It is, Eloethan but his voice is recognisable despite the change of accent, although it took me a little while to work out.

Likewise the very little we heard of Martin Compston speaking in his Scottish accent, not at all like Steve Arnott!

Eloethan Tue 07-Sep-21 23:45:23

Shaun Evans that should be.

Eloethan Tue 07-Sep-21 23:44:06

I'd been waiting to see where Sean Evans came in and it was only in the last episode that I recognised he was already there in plain sight. I think he is such an excellent actor - totally different appearance, demeanour and accent from Endeavour. I realise he is an actor but I think the transformation was brilliant.

Elizabeth1 Tue 07-Sep-21 08:39:03

After I watched the first episode of vigil I thought of my bil who was a submariner. Mustn’t have been claustrophobic or he couldn’t have done that for long but he was in the navy and he used to say he got a better pay for working in the subs. I imagine that would’ve gone towards his marriage to my ds so it was all in a good cause. I was so disappointed to see line of duty star Martin Compton being killed off in the first few seconds. Perhaps he’ll be resurrected.

LullyDully Tue 07-Sep-21 08:21:52

Am I the only one to think it is a bit boring after all the hype?

The Navy is being portrayed as the enemy, in my opinion, so far.

However the battle between the Police and the Military is very interesting. Immovable object and an indestructible force. Surely the Military plays the trump card.

Let's see what happens, it may pick up.

trisher Tue 07-Sep-21 07:49:02

Yes I thought it was the child's grandparents who had claimed her because they were blood relations and she wasn't.
Some people have relationships with bothe sexes.

Silverbridge Mon 06-Sep-21 23:26:21

Callistemon

^The removal of Silva's child is far-fetched^
I'm assuming it was her partner's child but not hers, but there is no mention of the mother.

Yes, of course. When they were driving by the loch, he said how weird it was that they looked so alike. You wouldn't say that to the child's natural mother.

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 22:56:41

The removal of Silva's child is far-fetched
I'm assuming it was her partner's child but not hers, but there is no mention of the mother.

Silverbridge Mon 06-Sep-21 22:33:38

I think the purpose of Silva's relationship with Longacre is so that they have this personal "code" that they can use in shore-to-boat messages.

The removal of Silva's child is far-fetched. The accident wasn't her fault - her partner was looking into the back seat at their daughter rather than watching the road.

Longacre does have a sidekick back at the office in Porter but she's working directly to DSU Robertson. Being alone adds jeopardy, I suppose. Female officer being pursued by scary black 4 x 4 etc.

A lot of clunky things in Vigil but I like how the story is unfolding.

lemongrove Mon 06-Sep-21 22:25:38

Anyone remember that old film that was always on tv in the 60’s and 70’s ( though made in the 40’s or 50’s) called Up Periscope? It was always on during holiday times, that and
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, or The King And I. I feel depression descending just thinking about it.?

MayBee70 Mon 06-Sep-21 22:16:34

Pittcity

I rewatched the documentary about the nuclear submarines that was repeated a few days ago. It was so different to the scenes on Vigil.
I presume they were not allowed to use correct uniform or an accurate set in case it gave military secrets away.
I think the police/MI5 interest is dramatic license as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if far worse is covered up by the military though.

Was that dive dive dive? I caught that by accident late one night and then rewatched it properly on iplayer the other night. I found it fascinating. I realise now why they’d repeated it. I didn’t know that Vigil was about a submarine.

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 22:07:11

him indoors keeps pointing them out, much to my annoyance
I keep asking "Surely that's not right?" much to the annoyance of himself ?

lemongrove Mon 06-Sep-21 22:03:17

Shaun Evans ( Endeavor) is a Liverpudlian actor and that’s more or less his own accent in Vigil.As Morse, he has a well spoken slightly Northern accent.

lemongrove Mon 06-Sep-21 22:00:49

? Yes, many factual RN mistakes ( him indoors keeps pointing them out, much to my annoyance.)
Apart from that... Why have Silva and the female detective in a Lesbian relationship? Silva had been happy for years with her male partner before the accident in the loch.Even the cat was a different one in another episode.
Why was the female detective always on duty on her own?
So many questions and very few answers.
This is a programme made to suspend all thoughts of reality!

Visgir1 Mon 06-Sep-21 19:15:01

Excellent series,.
My DH was a 2 1/2.. Lt Cdr. On Aircraft carrier and Destroyers.
A commander on a Nuclear Sub would have his XO as a 2 1/2.
On a War Ship the XO is also know as The Jimmy, that could be a Commander, as the Captain would be a full Captain. A lot depends on the size of the ship. Big carriers big senior crew, then little Minesweepers few crew and "Driven" by a 2 1/2
If interested, look up on Google "Perisher" see how a Sub skipper gets to be one, it's hard and tough going.

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 18:33:19

Well spotted!
They did get some things right then ?

A three ringer and a 2½ ringer.

Silverbridge Mon 06-Sep-21 17:39:19

Yes, I've had a look at some footage and the epaulettes are different. Newsome is a commander and Prentice Lt Commander ... which makes him of inferior rank to DCI Silva.

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 17:30:20

Apologies Silverbridge

Prentice is Lieutenant Commander rank.

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 17:26:32

Prentice is a puzzle; he should surely have had his own command by now.
married to an Admiral's daughter too!

I don't know, but would have thought that the XO would have been Lt Commander rank if the Captain is a Commander iyswim.

Perhaps someone else might know more.

-

Silverbridge Mon 06-Sep-21 16:57:59

Ah! So Prentice and Newsome are the same rank but Newsome has command of the boat and therefore has authority to give orders to someone of equal rank (incluing DCI Silva). Is that correct? Explains a lot of the tension between the two men but I think there may be other reasons ...

MerylStreep Mon 06-Sep-21 16:52:58

Callistemon
Re the uniforms. All I do know is, they were very well made. My friend who was on the nuclear subs in the 80s still occasionally wears his shirts. ?

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 16:51:33

I note the latter is also listed as Commander on imdb but that be a mistake. Is he "acting" Captain, perchance? I may have to watch again to see if I can pick up any clues or nuances.

His rank is Commander but he is the Captain of the submarine.

Someone of Commander rank can be the Captain of some types of vessel. Larger ships would require a Captain of that rank, I believe.

Callistemon Mon 06-Sep-21 16:42:32

their not there!