Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Vigil on bbc1

(208 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 30-Aug-21 08:36:38

I started watching this half heartedly last night as it has the same small pool of current popular actors and actresses in it, and one of them i am not really keen on. But to my surprise it drew me in. The setting of being underwater in a submarine is different and i am looking forward to the next episode this evening.

Alegrias1 Mon 30-Aug-21 09:17:54

Oh my goodness, that opening scene! Watched it from behind a cushion!

Can't wait to see how this develops.

Harris27 Mon 30-Aug-21 09:20:42

Have it in my planner for tonight. Was wondering if it was worth watching. Will watch it tonight.

BigBertha1 Mon 30-Aug-21 09:30:39

Gripping I thought!

seacliff Mon 30-Aug-21 09:35:21

Got me hooked so far. Great to watch something new and (so far) good.

Katie59 Mon 30-Aug-21 09:37:43

There is quite a conspiracy brewing, well dramatized, there will be plenty of action and surprises in this series.

grannyrebel7 Mon 30-Aug-21 09:48:19

Really gripping. Looking forward to tonight's episode.

Sarahmob Mon 30-Aug-21 09:51:43

I really enjoyed this last night and am looking forward to tonight’s episode.

henetha Mon 30-Aug-21 09:57:05

Brilliant stuff. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sar53 Mon 30-Aug-21 09:59:49

We both enjoyed it as well. DH doesn't usually like anything that is part of a series but even he said he enjoyed it.

ixion Mon 30-Aug-21 10:01:15

Can anyone explain, please, why mugs of tea are lined with cling film?
Is it something to do with not wasting precious resources like washing up water?

Gripping opening episode.

granfromafar Mon 30-Aug-21 10:09:57

Thought it was excellent and am looking forward to the second episode this evening. That's Sunday and Monday night's viewing sorted for next couple of weeks.

GillT57 Mon 30-Aug-21 10:52:26

Excellent programme, and so well filmed that I began to get all sweaty and claustrophobic as they clambered around the confined spaces of the submarine. The cling film is to save spillages I would think Ixion, the sub moved about a surprising amount, plus all those stairs, ladders and squeezed spaces.

Lillie Mon 30-Aug-21 11:04:18

i was surprised how much i enjoyed it
being in a confined setting the action was easy to follow though i suspect it will spread out to the girlfriend and the detective on shore now

i thought it was maybe a bit top heavy on female roles last night
the 2 detectives, top brass on the bridge of the sub, the doctor etc
not complaining, they are very good actresses

ixion Mon 30-Aug-21 11:07:25

GillT57

Excellent programme, and so well filmed that I began to get all sweaty and claustrophobic as they clambered around the confined spaces of the submarine. The cling film is to save spillages I would think Ixion, the sub moved about a surprising amount, plus all those stairs, ladders and squeezed spaces.

Ah, I see.
I must try it sometime - well, just the drinking technique!
I fear I might be a really messy drinker. Or do I just slurp?

Yangste1007 Mon 30-Aug-21 11:23:09

I thought it was good.

sodapop Mon 30-Aug-21 12:20:44

I enjoyed it, really felt the claustrophobic effect as well Gill.

My husband was not impressed with it at all but couldn't give a reason.

Esspee Mon 30-Aug-21 12:30:46

OH was a submariner. He will no doubt spoil it by pointing out all the inaccuracies. ?
We will be binge watching it. Our memories are not good enough to wait a week between episodes. ?

tanith Mon 30-Aug-21 12:49:08

I enjoyed it I like Suranne Jones and the other police woman was in GOT and Downton I believe. A shame Martin Compston kicked the bucket in the first 10 mins but I’m assuming he’ll appear in flashbacks looking forward to tonight’s.

Alegrias1 Mon 30-Aug-21 13:19:47

tanith

I enjoyed it I like Suranne Jones and the other police woman was in GOT and Downton I believe. A shame Martin Compston kicked the bucket in the first 10 mins but I’m assuming he’ll appear in flashbacks looking forward to tonight’s.

Spoiler alert hmm

tanith Mon 30-Aug-21 13:39:06

Oh my I’m sorry I wasn’t thinking apologies

kittylester Mon 30-Aug-21 13:54:42

I don't think it's being streamed Esspee

Curlywhirly Mon 30-Aug-21 15:15:27

I really enjoyed it, though it did make me feel claustrophobic, would hate to have to live and work in such an enclosed space. Some TV critics have said that the mock-ups of the interior of the sub were not true to life - apparently it is much more cramped in real life ?Hats off to submariner everywhere!

Sparklefizz Mon 30-Aug-21 15:44:42

Wow! An excellent drama at last! I felt claustrophobic in the sub, eg. as she lay on the top bunk, and my legs turned to jelly as she was looking down at the sea, about to be winched down.

I would hate the lack of daylight and fresh air, plus I don't liked cramped spaces and am scared of the sea!! (So not an ideal submariner!!) Won't be watching it before bedtime as I'd probably have nightmares.

Can't wait for episode 2.

Namsnanny Mon 30-Aug-21 15:48:14

Some of our top class actors in it.
I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to the next episode.