Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bake Off is back! Beware of Spoilers.

(17 Posts)
Zoejory Mon 27-Sep-21 20:50:20

I love it now. Much prefer it to the old version.

But I do have a soft spot for Noel and Matt so that might explain things.

Beswitched Mon 27-Sep-21 20:46:58

I preferred it when it was on BBC with Mary Berry and Mel and Sue. But this year I like the fact that there's several fairly amateur Baker s who get it wrong. That is what has been missing in the past few years. Too many almost professional bakers which removed the relatable element from the programme.

I love Maggie and Jurgen and hope they both make it to the final.

Deedaa Thu 23-Sep-21 19:18:35

Well I enjoyed it! I think it's a pity that all these shows don't keep all the contestants in till the second week. I think you've not really had a chance at all if you go home in the first week.

It looks to be a really good mix of people this year. I think the lady with the multi coloured hair may become a bit annoying but I was impressed by the vegan girl's bakes.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:22:24

I used to enjoy it too Bluebell but after last nights childish debacle I doubt very much that I'll watch it again.

I saw the first five minutes and switched over. What absolute nonsense and a complete and utter turn off. I've got a sense of humour but that was irritating beyond belief. What is Channel Four playing at?

Parsley3 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:15:16

I wasn’t going to watch it again but I have and there is a better mix of ages this time. The rock group thing made me cringe. I didn’t understand why the chap whose show stopper was a complete mess stayed in. I expect it will be my go to recording when I have some ironing to do, though.

aggie Wed 22-Sep-21 15:08:00

By the way I think it has become a second rate comedy show rather than a cosy baking show

aggie Wed 22-Sep-21 15:01:10

Thank you Whitewavemark2 always nice to see an answer ?

Bluebellwould Wed 22-Sep-21 14:45:15

Whitewave, I know it’s only a baking show and in life’s turmoil it’s not important but it used to be good and I used to look forward to it.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Sep-21 14:27:47

aggie

I hated the “jolly” intro , totally downgraded the whole show

Blimey it’s only baking cakes!

Calendargirl Wed 22-Sep-21 14:03:03

Didn’t watch last year’s for the first time, and won’t bother with this year’s either. Just doesn’t attract me somehow nowadays.

aggie Wed 22-Sep-21 11:49:18

I hated the “jolly” intro , totally downgraded the whole show

Bluebellwould Wed 22-Sep-21 11:34:10

I thought last night was more of a comedy programme than a baking contest. I don’t want it devoid of humour but that should be secondary to the skills and wonderful bakes that they make. The programme started off as it went on with the rockabilly intro, don’t think Prue looked particularly keen. Then when we were introduced to the contestants my eyes boggled. We had the mad dresser with colourful hair from Liverpool, the toff, the mad boffin, and the nice but dim. All stereotypes. It’s not even a matter of race, gender or whatever that bothers me but that so many of them really didn’t bother and could not do basic things. When you look back at the start of the programme with Mary Berry, there was a pride and seriousness about their productions. I used to sit and think wow I wish I could have made that and was left awe inspired. Now I sit and think my 4 year old grandson could have done better. Why is everything just dumbed down? Why don’t the producers realise that the audience admire people with skills and like to see them, we don’t have to be amused all the time.

merlotgran Wed 22-Sep-21 11:21:01

We don’t have enough family members for all the contestants, liveinnan so the winner will be the one closest to the finishing line. We set up a Facebook group chat with a daft name so we can have a bit of a laugh while it’s on.

We also do it for Strictly, I’m a Celeb and the Grand National. ?

baubles Wed 22-Sep-21 10:54:41

I think the jokey remarks aboutMaggie being Prue’s twin wore thin very quickly.

Liveinnan Wed 22-Sep-21 10:54:37

I can’t say that I picked up on any snootiness by Prue in last nights bake off.
I thought that the showstopper task was particularly difficult for a week one programme and there was a worthy winner.
Your idea merlotgran for a family sweepstake is brilliant, just wish I had a family large enough to do the same.
Just love baking cakes, but the trouble is you have to eat them afterwards, so I tend to resist.

MayBeMaw Wed 22-Sep-21 10:40:46

I wondered if she felt upstaged by Maggie?
Actually while I like her (Maggie) I was wishing she could tone it down a bit - too jolly hockey sticks, what larks!

merlotgran Wed 22-Sep-21 10:18:02

Is it me or did Prue seem a little snooty and 'offish' last night?

I've drawn Jairzeno in the family sweepstake. The first one out has to bake or buy a cake for the winner so I survived last night but I thought Jairzeno was a footballer. grin

My favourites so far are Guiseppe and Jurgen.