Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Our Yorkshire Farm

(138 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Tue 05-Oct-21 09:57:21

Delighted to see the return of one of my favourite programmes tonight at 9pm. I love watching their life on the farm. The children are wonderful.

Grandmagrim Mon 08-Nov-21 15:48:20

The kids seemed to enjoy the local bonfire /fireworks display this weekend but poor Clive looked very lost.

littleflo Fri 05-Nov-21 08:53:36

I thought last night’s episode was filmed last summer. The fact that Amanda was not in it so much probably is a coincidence.

I think I read somewhere that children are cooking on good morning Britain to day.

merlotgran Wed 03-Nov-21 08:16:13

I thought the same, travelsafar. The children seemed just as happy and carefree but I thought the younger ones looked quite unkempt - not just their usual ‘life on a farm’ scruffiness.

travelsafar Wed 03-Nov-21 02:03:38

I felt upset watching tonight now we know what is happening. Clive was constantly with the children and there seemed an element of sadness about him or did I imagine it. ?

25Avalon Sun 31-Oct-21 19:50:26

Amanda has been wearing lots of jewellery and make up just lately which doesn’t exactly gel with a busy farmer, or did she always do this?

Kamj Sun 31-Oct-21 19:41:39

Just feels all false now and yes i feel his 2 children should have some acknowledgement whether it be on the show or newsfeeds/write-ups etc, but theres been nothing.

Hetty58 Sun 31-Oct-21 11:18:33

theveganreview.com/why-people-get-angry-vegan-hate-discrimination/

Then, there's 'tradition' - always trotted out as an excuse. Why not support all the hideous ones? Human sacrifice, bull fighting, fox hunting, cannibalism, infanticide etc. - all 'traditional'.

Hetty58 Sun 31-Oct-21 11:09:50

nightowl, We're well used to these OTT guilt reactions. They don't want to be reminded that what's on their plate has anything to do with animal cruelty.

Of course, it's all so removed, now. Few would go out and torment, then slaughter any animal. No problem, though, they can close their minds (mostly) let others do that - and buy a piece of it, neatly wrapped, at the supermarket!

JaneJudge Sun 31-Oct-21 10:07:13

I don't know, I tend to think if she is a barmaid and her husband is a factory worker and they had their kids pretty young by the look of it, maybe they need the money? It sounds like he has been pretty absent in her life, so maybe she felt she had nothing to lose. Families are often complicated

Anda001 Sun 31-Oct-21 09:01:20

And as for his daughter, well he was there to give her away at her wedding as pictures have shown. But as it was her day he may have said none of the rest of the family to be photographed as he knows what would happen.

I also find it strange that she has really only just started coming out of the woodwork since the family have become famous.

Anda001 Sun 31-Oct-21 08:59:00

Clive did mention his eldest son, and does now and again, he is running their other farm. And he may not want to be in the programme or mentioned as he knows how the media will hound him..as they are doing with Amanda and Clive at the moment.

And has anyone considered that she moved into the rental property as there was work being done on their kitchen, it has been done up, and she was writing a book so wanted peace and quiet to do this. We don't know that she didn't go into the main farmhouse at night etc.. Unless someone is camped out on their doorstep permanently then a lot of it is what is seen in a miniscule moment.

Bobbysgirl19 Sat 30-Oct-21 20:31:23

Lucca

That makes 11…..

Yes I can do the maths my point was that 2 of them are not mentioned not eleven.

nightowl Sat 30-Oct-21 12:59:38

Oh Hetty I could weep. So many doubly standards, so much closing of eyes to animal suffering and brainwashing of children, all because of centuries of ‘tradition’. And yet we’re the ones who are cynical with something to be ashamed of apparently.

Jaxjacky Sat 30-Oct-21 12:34:46

BlueSapphire I’m with you, almost too good to be true…

Calistemon Sat 30-Oct-21 12:25:46

I didn't find merlogran's comment strange.

Casdon I agree.

Viewing the world from a rather narrow viewpoint (even if you believe it is right) does not invalidate other viewpoints and ways of life which have been traditional for thousands of years.

merlotgran Sat 30-Oct-21 12:25:14

Thank you, Hetty58 but I won't be ordering a free 'Go Vegan' pack. hmm

Shinamae Sat 30-Oct-21 12:23:13

Scones

To me Amanda and Clive both seem like very hard working people who have been devoted to each other, their children and their farm. Any success they've had has been due to their hard work and the fact that their lives have captured our imagination and admiration.

I'm sorry they are having such a hard time at the moment. We've all surely had hard times in our own ways. I hope they find a way through it.

This….

Casdon Sat 30-Oct-21 12:18:26

But Hetty58 you are seeing this from your own unique perspective as we all do. Being a vegan doesn’t give you additional insight into how the the world works and the merits and downsides of farming and it’s impact on children, although I appreciate that you may think it does.

Hetty58 Sat 30-Oct-21 11:16:12

merlotgran, what a strange comment! I don't have to be an expert to see suffering. Hill sheep farming is cruel:

www.animalaid.org.uk/the-issues/our-campaigns/animal-farming/suffering-farmed-sheep/

Then there's the psychological damage to those poor children.

Scones Fri 29-Oct-21 20:41:28

To me Amanda and Clive both seem like very hard working people who have been devoted to each other, their children and their farm. Any success they've had has been due to their hard work and the fact that their lives have captured our imagination and admiration.

I'm sorry they are having such a hard time at the moment. We've all surely had hard times in our own ways. I hope they find a way through it.

Kamj Fri 29-Oct-21 19:40:55

JaneJudge

No one would comment at all if she was a man and having to work away

Not commenting on the fact she's working away from home more so about the fact their marriage is on the rocks, we would say the same if it was Clive living away from the farm and all this gossip came out.

JaneJudge Fri 29-Oct-21 18:38:32

Grandmagrim

JaneJudge

well it just goes to show, you can live on one of the most remote farms in the country and your neighbours still spy on you and gossip

Neighbours have been biting tongues for a very long time, no spying required.

sounds pleasant

merlotgran Fri 29-Oct-21 18:16:15

Staying on a farm hardly makes you an expert on farming practices, Hetty58.

Grandmagrim Fri 29-Oct-21 18:00:11

JaneJudge

well it just goes to show, you can live on one of the most remote farms in the country and your neighbours still spy on you and gossip

Neighbours have been biting tongues for a very long time, no spying required.

NotTooOld Fri 29-Oct-21 17:50:09

What's this about Amanda and Garry?