Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

bbc1 who do you think you are

(31 Posts)
lemsip Tue 19-Oct-21 21:11:00

Judi Dench ancestry tonight 9pm

Josianne Thu 21-Oct-21 10:05:50

As we are moving on in the discussion, my GD acted alongside Judi Dench in a couple of films. She said every time Judi walked in, the room lit up, and every time they were struggling with the parts, Judi made it happen effortlessly.

Kate1949 Thu 21-Oct-21 09:59:33

Lucca I have read that Judi's grandson is good friends with Ed Sheeran. Two peas in a pod.

Maggiemaybe Thu 21-Oct-21 07:09:06

And that is our good fortune. Why be embarrassed by it? Although I studied languages and have lived and worked in Europe using them, I don’t agree that every child here should have to spend significant time learning a foreign language if it’s not for them. Of course it’s courteous, and fun, to learn a few words of any language if you’re about to visit a non English-speaking country. But there are so many other subjects now that suit many children better - what’s wrong with letting them use our advantage and concentrate on them instead?

mokryna Thu 21-Oct-21 06:39:58

Beechnut

We thought that too about their English skills while we were in Denmark Germanshepherdsmum. Our waiter told us they start off at a very young age.

In other countries, English tv children’s programs are not translated, watching them children learn naturally. Today there are American children speaking with an English accent because of Pepper Pig.
Don’t forget English is spoken everywhere because the USA elected, by one vote more than German, to have it as their official language.

Lucca Thu 21-Oct-21 05:30:48

Just watched this at 4,30 a,m,,….. absolutely brilliant, how lovely was her distant cousin the actor and what a super apartment he had. Loved the Hamlet connections.

I thought Judi’s grandson was Ed Sheeran at first !!

Witzend Wed 20-Oct-21 18:13:26

Germanshepherdsmum

I loved it and like Yammy’s, my husband watched instead of picking up a book. She came across as a lovely lady too. I was embarrassed by the brilliant English all the Danes spoke ...

It’s the same in a lot of countries where their own language is spoken by virtually nobody else. For better or worse, English is the global language, so if they’re going to pick just one to learn well, there’s not much choice.

My sister was embarrassed at a wedding in the Czech Republic we attended - because many of the local guests spoke English and none of us spoke Czech - (although I did actually study it for a year aeons ago, when I had to do another Slavonic language besides Russian.) But by her reasoning, to avoid embarrassment you’d need to learn the language of every country you ever visited.

It’s a harder choice if English is your mother tongue, not that that’s any excuse IMO for being totally monolingual. IIRC it was Tony Blair’s govt. who made it no longer compulsory for GCSE choices to include a modern foreign language. Very short sighted IMO.

GrannySquare Wed 20-Oct-21 18:13:00

I found the onset of Josh Widdicombe’s journey so highly contrived.

His lineage is no doubt fascinating & reflects how small the circle & concentrated are the powers & assets of the long standing aristocratic families are.

But for his father to casually mention ‘oh we have some landed gentry cousins just t’other side of t’moor for Josh to be so clueless was dissembling to say the least.

Deedaa Wed 20-Oct-21 17:48:22

And isn't her grandson a dead ringer for his lovely grandfather?

Callistemon Wed 20-Oct-21 15:46:31

And how many ‘boring’ or dead-end family tree branches they pursue, before hitting on a corker.

I did wonder that and admire the persistence of the researchers.

ixion Wed 20-Oct-21 15:41:55

Witzend

I do often wonder how many famous people they have to research, before finding one who’s sufficiently interesting? How many are just ditched, I wonder?

And how many ‘boring’ or dead-end family tree branches they pursue, before hitting on a corker.

For my money, the best ever was the actress who played EastEnders Dot Cotton (can’t remember her name) - absolutely fascinating, going back to the persecution and exodus of Jews from Spain in the 1500s, or possibly even earlier - it was some years ago now.

For me it was the story of Ruby Wax in 2017.
Gosh....

Beechnut Wed 20-Oct-21 15:40:12

Witzend I’d like them to pick a few people who aren’t famous. I’m sure some of us have interesting ancestry.

Beechnut Wed 20-Oct-21 15:37:39

We thought that too about their English skills while we were in Denmark Germanshepherdsmum. Our waiter told us they start off at a very young age.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 20-Oct-21 14:12:12

I loved it and like Yammy’s, my husband watched instead of picking up a book. She came across as a lovely lady too. I was embarrassed by the brilliant English all the Danes spoke ...

Witzend Wed 20-Oct-21 14:07:03

I do often wonder how many famous people they have to research, before finding one who’s sufficiently interesting? How many are just ditched, I wonder?

For my money, the best ever was the actress who played EastEnders Dot Cotton (can’t remember her name) - absolutely fascinating, going back to the persecution and exodus of Jews from Spain in the 1500s, or possibly even earlier - it was some years ago now.

Yammy Wed 20-Oct-21 09:18:57

Really interesting, she was so calm but moved by everything. No theatrical gasps or tears just genuine interest in what they had found for her. One of the best I have seen even DH condescended to watch.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 20-Oct-21 08:01:11

We thoroughly enjoyed this episode, like last weeks the bar is exceptionally high this series.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Oct-21 07:11:21

What an excellent series so far ?. But both brilliant. Difficult to continue with such good stuff I would think.

V3ra Wed 20-Oct-21 00:02:35

Such painstaking research, it must take so much time. Amazing story.

Luckygirl Tue 19-Oct-21 23:29:26

It was an excellent programme - so good to have someone who does not go over the top with the gasps!

Josianne Tue 19-Oct-21 22:49:44

I loved the way she said she was going to bore the pants off everyone with the story of the link to the first role she played at The Old Vic.

nadateturbe Tue 19-Oct-21 22:47:29

Callistemon

Do I believe in coincidences?

That was quite amazing!

It was indeed. A lot to take in.

nadateturbe Tue 19-Oct-21 22:42:56

We loved it. A 'must watch' if you didn't see it.
So interesting. Thoroughly enjoyable. I do love Judi Dench.

Callistemon Tue 19-Oct-21 22:34:40

Do I believe in coincidences?

That was quite amazing!

Josianne Tue 19-Oct-21 22:23:05

Those old handwritten Danish diaries were amazing.
And those Shakespearean names.

tanith Tue 19-Oct-21 22:21:44

How very rich in history her family is, best one I’ve seen for a long time.