Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Alec Baldwin - guns

(112 Posts)
Zoejory Fri 22-Oct-21 08:20:22

Alec Baldwin has shot and killed a member of the film crew, cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, on a film set. Another person was injured.

Why on earth do films still use guns with lethal ammunition? I thought this had been stopped years ago. With all the special effects and amazing skill, surely a totally harmless gun can be used.

Heartbreaking for all concerned

Alegrias1 Tue 26-Oct-21 10:50:50

I think this thread could be used in future as an example of how gossip and conspiracy theories start and spread on the internet.

Putting the word "apparently" doesn't absolve you of any responsibility for gossip and insinuation that you then follow it up with. Putting the word "apparently" in front of any made up gossip you got from unreliable sources isn't an excuse.

This is not speculation about what colour hat the Queen likes best, this is insinuation about the character of a public figure and whether he is solely responsible for the death of a colleague. At least there does seem to be a large enough group on here that understands that spreading unfounded rumours is not acceptable.

25Avalon Tue 26-Oct-21 10:45:07

Alegrias I said apparently, not that it was gospel truth. Do we have to be present at every single event to comment? If so there won’t be much left on GN.

tickingbird Tue 26-Oct-21 09:47:29

Behaving like a little boy?? He’s making a western and obviously having to draw his gun, therefore practising.

Some of the comments on this thread are ridiculous.

Alegrias1 Tue 26-Oct-21 09:47:00

Were you there 25Avalon? Did you see him? Perhaps you can tell us more?

25Avalon Tue 26-Oct-21 09:37:16

Apparently AB was pretending to be a gunslinger and practising his quick draw. The little boy in him. A rude tragic wakening to make him grow up.

Deedaa Mon 25-Oct-21 23:48:14

Yesterday a lot was being made of the armourer being only a "young" woman (22). I've known teenagers who would be perfectly capable of dealing with guns safely and making sure they weren't loaded with live rounds. Youth isn't necessarily bad. What they need to know is what the gun WAS loaded with. Hopefully something will have been found when they treated the director, or failing that at the site of the accident.

Sago Mon 25-Oct-21 17:52:27

As a family we have all shot, my husband has made sure a professional taught our children once we felt they were old enough to handle a gun.

The first and golden rule is never to point the gun at a person, it is instilled into you!

The second rule is that all guns must be “ broken” and emptied of ammunition when you are walking with a gun.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 17:40:56

I don't even know who Alec Baldwin is.

BlueBelle Mon 25-Oct-21 17:36:36

* It'll probably end up with a law that bans real guns on set*

Not before time I d say

effalump Mon 25-Oct-21 17:34:23

It wasn't a prop gun, it was real. The ammo was supposed to blanks. There was a prop technician interviewed on radio and he said that the gun should have been checked at least three times before it was used. A lot of people seem to be putting total blame on Alec Baldwin but it was also said that a lot of the crew on that film had walked out and were replaced. I watched a dvd the other night where someone used a gun. In the 'extras' bit on the dvd it was showing you how the gun was put in with cgi. It's a bit like when they use a green screen to super-impose scenery onto the film. It'll probably end up with a low that bans real guns on set.

Kerenhappuch Mon 25-Oct-21 08:06:34

From what I’ve read, guns containing blanks aren’t necessarily safe to point at people. It was pointed at the camera because the camera shot they wanted was of his character aiming the gun. People were behind the camera checking the angles and the picture. I had no idea film sets were so dangerous sad

Gabrielle56 Sun 24-Oct-21 19:28:14

Honestly razzy speculation and gossip is no friend of sincere sentiments. Perspex?! Right

Gabrielle56 Sun 24-Oct-21 19:19:38

I onder if tragically Baldwin has been targeted for his outspoken opposition to the rifle association of America and anti gun stance he's been quite vocal about? I sincerely hope not.its an absolute heartbreak for the young mum and her family. And why oh why in these times of CGI is ANYONE still using real weapons? Rubber ones look same and the rest can be faked!

MerylStreep Sun 24-Oct-21 18:54:46

I hope some folk on here are never summoned to do jury service ?

Alegrias1 Sun 24-Oct-21 18:46:06

? Chewbacca

Chewbacca Sun 24-Oct-21 17:57:08

I was about to post in the same vein as you Alegrias but then realised that songstress60 probably has some insider information, from on set, that the rest of the world hasn't been informed of yet.

Alegrias1 Sun 24-Oct-21 17:54:18

songstress60

This is manslaughter and Baldwin should face charges. It is not the first time his conduct has been called into question. I hope the poor woman's family sue him to kingdom come. There is NO excuse for what happened.

You are making shocking assumptions with no justification. None of what you say is based on truth. Her husband has said that he knows it was a terrible accident.

Your post is nonsense.

Galaxy Sun 24-Oct-21 17:48:36

As my only comment was that there had been a previous fatality on a film set I dont feel i have done much moralising.

songstress60 Sun 24-Oct-21 17:46:30

This is manslaughter and Baldwin should face charges. It is not the first time his conduct has been called into question. I hope the poor woman's family sue him to kingdom come. There is NO excuse for what happened.

tickingbird Sun 24-Oct-21 17:11:21

I find what you have been saying even more unpleasant jumping onto a bandwagon of something you know nothing about. Hypocritical moralising at every opportunity.

tictacnana Sun 24-Oct-21 17:04:57

I read that real ammunition was not used after the screen actors guild, headed by James Cagney, threatened to boycott any productions that used it. This was after a near fatal shot being fired during the making of Angels With Dirty Face in the 1940s. Is this not still the case?

Galaxy Sun 24-Oct-21 16:38:27

Actually I think minimising the violent behaviour of people is equally as worrying. Saying that people who are attacked were goading is quite unpleasant. You have just done exactly what you are accusing others of doing.

tickingbird Sun 24-Oct-21 16:16:17

What vile comments - from AB having anger management issues - one of his wives said so, to the poor lady victim having been from The Ukraine and brought up on a Soviet base, therefore some kind of target. Also AB is not the director, he’s one of the producers; which most star actors are in their films.

Alex Baldwin was married to Kim Basinger before his current wife, Hilaria, with whom he appears to be very happy. He’s been in a few scrapes with the paparazzi and also had an altercation over a parking space. Paparazzi are known for goading celebrities in order to get a better picture and loads of celebrities have been pictured fighting with them. Trying to say he has anger management issues so he has purposely shot two people, one of whom IS the director, is ridiculous.

It’s scary how some people get so involved and know so much about something they know hardly anything about. Thank goodness we no longer go around lynching people as there are some prime candidates to lead the mob on here.

BRAVEBETH Sun 24-Oct-21 14:29:33

Such judgemental posts yet again before all the facts are released. It was a prop gun. The person responsible for the prop gun had caused a problem before.
Baldwin is the actor and director. His staff
was responsible for the prop gun. His past actions have no bearing on this accident. The husband has agreed with Baldwin it was an accident.

Why is this group so judgemental on so many issues.

JaneJudge Sun 24-Oct-21 14:20:39

It is disgraceful. There is something deeply unpleasant about finding humour in any of this! angry