Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Concert tickets. How much would you pay?

(141 Posts)
Kate1949 Wed 27-Oct-21 09:56:11

My sisters, who are in their 60s, are life long Rod Stewart fans. They have seen him every single time he has come to Birmingham since the 1970s when he was with The Faces, usually in small venues. Once the tickets were £1 each.
In latter years they have gone with their husbands and, as the tickets were over £100, you can imagine it was an expensive night with parking etc. Still, they love Rod and went. He is coming back in December next year and the tickets are in sale tomorrow. At £174 for reasonable seats. For the first time they can't (and won't) go. How sad. Would you pay?

MooM00 Thu 28-Oct-21 14:23:28

I actually paid £80 to see Lulu a couple of years ago. I got the chance to meet her afterwards and have a photograph taken with her. She looks amazing for her age.

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-Oct-21 14:33:28

Jzpap, I agree with you on George Michael. What a showman! We saw him in Manchester just after he’d had a couple of well-publicised “incidents” while driving. He turned up nearly an hour late, but then gave us his all. Fortunately we’d booked a hotel as the show ran on and on, and lots of people had to leave for their trains long before the show was over.

Saying that, Rod Stewart’s a great showman as well, and certainly gives the audience value for money.

Elvis58 Thu 28-Oct-21 15:45:32

Most l paid is £75 to see Stevie Wonder awful show.We left halfway through such a disappointment!
Most l would pay is £65.Best l ever saw was George Michael.

Abigailmckd Thu 28-Oct-21 16:23:02

£348 for tickets for an enjoyable night out.

EEJit Thu 28-Oct-21 17:14:15

Went to see Jason Manford a couple of weeks ago, £27 a ticket. Bargain. Came out with sore ribs.

Engelbert Humperdinck is still touring at 86, tickets from £46.

dragonfly46 Thu 28-Oct-21 17:37:15

I paid over the odds to see Neil Diamond at the O2 on his last tour and I am pleased I did. We have also fairly recently see Bob Dillon twice, the first time he was rubbish and Dire Straits at the Royal Albert Hall which was not cheap but great.

Eve22 Thu 28-Oct-21 18:22:43

Im a big long time fan of Rodders but I won’t pay that as it’s based on his new, due out soon, album. I may not like it. I did pay couple of hundred to see him sing all the old favourites and I go to his concerts when he does them.
I like Ed Sheehan’s style. I recently purchasedseats and they were something like £52 or £80 ish. And he makes it as difficult as possible for the touts.
So basically would I pay - depends. As much as I’d like to see Adele I wouldn’t pay that sort of money. Feels like they are ungrateful towards their fans and the support they give them when tickets are that high.
And there endeth my rambling thoughts!

bridie54 Thu 28-Oct-21 20:13:00

I drove 98 miles each way to Glasgow to see Eric Clapton a few years ago. Went with my daughter and paid a good bit for tickets (can’t remember exactly now but over £100) even tho we were “up in the gods”.
The first part of his set was fine but nearing the end he obviously had sound issues and abruptly walked off stage. Then he came back but walked off again and that was it. End of concert.
I didn’t even keep my CD’s of his after that. Prima Donna in my mind.
Paul Simon and Sting on the other hand, worth every penny, tho I can’t remember ticket prices for them either. We, daughter n me again, were so lucky and got an upgrade for that one.
I might go up to £140 nowadays but definitely not £170. As for Adele’s prices, she’s got to be joking.

Ruby79 Thu 28-Oct-21 20:22:50

Kate1949 I agree concert prices have just got ridiculous and the fact that you have to book at least 1 whole year in advance really irritates me. As an avid Rod Stewart fan of old myself can I suggest a band that you may want to seek out. They are called Cregan and Co. Jim Cregan used to play with Rod Stewart from 1975 and co-wrote many songs such as Baby Jane and Hot Legs etc. The band has an excellent singer called Ben Mills (he came second to Leona Lewis on X factor) and if you close your eyes you could think you’re listening to Rod back in the day. Rod himself endorses this band. They really are worth a look. I’ve seen them almost as many times as I’ve seen Rod and that’s a lot over the years.

V3ra Thu 28-Oct-21 21:31:27

Re: booking ahead...
In November 2018 we booked tickets for Elton John's worldwide farewell tour in November 2020.
Those tickets were postponed to November 2021 because of Covid.
They've now been postponed to June 2023 because of his accident.
I did take out the artist non-appearance insurance on these tickets, though we still live in hope! ?

Pearlsaminger Thu 28-Oct-21 22:08:57

£175 to see Queen in June 2020. Only it didn’t happen… the ‘rona cancelled it.

Rescheduled for June 2021… again didn’t happen.

Rescheduled for June 2022. But… Brian may is pretty poorly and might not be able to play… John Deacon left long ago… We tragically lost Freddie (although I hear Ádám Lambert is an excellent lead singer for the group) And Roger May who is still beating on his drums.

Who knows if it’ll go ahead.. confused

Kate1949 Thu 28-Oct-21 22:10:50

Thank you Ruby I will tell my sisters. They are the Rod fans smile

Nansparkle25 Fri 29-Oct-21 10:30:30

Wowsers £568 to see Adele, glad she isn't my cup of tea! If it was someone I really wanted to see I would pay that price. Would ask for contributions as a birthday present.

nipsmum Fri 29-Oct-21 10:39:52

More than 20 years ago I paid £60 each for tickets to see Jesus Christ Superstar. It's inflation I'm afraid. It's difficult for the elderly to afford such prices now. If it's a once in a lifetime chance to see Neil Diamond live I'd pay that though.

Visgir1 Fri 29-Oct-21 11:55:13

I was in the que yesterday for Adele tickets I was one of the 1.6 million. I joined at 43k no luck cheapest was £90 happy to pay up to £250 but even these sold out.
Have paid up to £200 for tickets, to see The Stones and Stevie Wonder.
Still waiting to see Michael Buble and The Killers both been cancelled from 2020.
Let's face it the Theatre in London isn't cheap either.

Pearlsaminger Fri 29-Oct-21 14:10:48

I’ve seen Elton John in concert… it was the most boring gig ever! He must have been having a bad night. No interaction with the audience apart from hello and goodbye. No encore. And when people stood up to dance they were kicked out. Happened again at a Madness gig, also at the 02 in Greenwich at the Dome. It must be a thing there that you’re not allowed to stand up. But who can sit still at a music event?

P!nk in concert is absolutely amazing - her arial show is breathtaking, especially when she glides across the stadium above the fans! It was one of the best concerts I’ve been to. You definitely get a show with P!nk.

Seen Adele in a small intimate gig in London, she was great. Woman next to us was moaning, telling us, and everyone around us to stop singing! Rude! We sang louder!

Lucky enough to have seen George Michael twice in concert - once at Wembley Arena once at the stadium.

The arena concert was fantastic. It was where he brought out Elton John as a guest and they duetted ‘Don't let the sun go down in me’ which was then released.

I do tell people I feature on that song as a backing singer ???

Chardy Fri 29-Oct-21 14:24:42

I don't think the artist has control over ticket pricing. If you look at different venues on the same tour, the prices can vary considerably.

Riverwalk Fri 29-Oct-21 15:23:13

I’ve seen Elton John in concert… it was the most boring gig ever! He must have been having a bad night. No interaction with the audience apart from hello and goodbye. No encore. And when people stood up to dance they were kicked out. Happened again at a Madness gig, also at the 02 in Greenwich at the Dome. It must be a thing there that you’re not allowed to stand up. But who can sit still at a music event?

I agree with not being allowed to stand up - it blocks the view of the people behind you! Not everyone can stand up for a long show. Those who want to stand and dance should go in a standing area (mosh pit)

Kate1949 Fri 29-Oct-21 16:01:08

Pearl We saw Elton too. He came on, played his songs and went off
No interaction as you say.

Pearlsaminger Fri 29-Oct-21 16:16:44

Kate1949

Pearl We saw Elton too. He came on, played his songs and went off
No interaction as you say.

I think it was something like the Red Piano Tour or something like that.. very disappointing. The only good thing was that my daughter had won the tickets in a competition, so she didn’t lose any money on them. Just the petrol and the £15 car parking charge.

We come from the same area as Elton grew up in Pinner Middlesex, so used to hold him quite dear to our hearts as he was a ‘local celebrity.’ You can’t beat his older recordings, he has some absolute classics - but I think it all changed after the 80’s for us. Really haven’t followed his music since Nikita came out.

I know Reggie (Elton) had a very big fallout with Rod Stewart after announcing his last tour. Rod told him he was only doing it for the money and they fell out spectacularly. Kissed and made up now though so Rod says ?

Strange as Elton also fell out with George Michael too… wonder if he’s really the diva people say he is! ?

Pearlsaminger Fri 29-Oct-21 16:24:16

Riverwalk

^I’ve seen Elton John in concert… it was the most boring gig ever! He must have been having a bad night. No interaction with the audience apart from hello and goodbye. No encore. And when people stood up to dance they were kicked out. Happened again at a Madness gig, also at the 02 in Greenwich at the Dome. It must be a thing there that you’re not allowed to stand up. But who can sit still at a music event?^

I agree with not being allowed to stand up - it blocks the view of the people behind you! Not everyone can stand up for a long show. Those who want to stand and dance should go in a standing area (mosh pit)

So you’ve NEVER stood up and danced, or stood up to clap or given a standing ovation to a performer?

If I wanted to sit down and see the show without people standing or having the view interrupted, I’d buy the DVD and stay home to watch it. ?

nadateturbe Fri 29-Oct-21 18:13:26

Blondiescot

I must really be in the minority here - there's no way I would (or even could) pay those kind of prices for a concert ticket! There's a comedian I really like who is coming to Edinburgh and I looked at tickets to see her, but they're more than £50 and even that I balk at paying. I remember when Leonard Cohen was playing at Edinburgh Castle a few years back and I just couldn't pay the price they were asking for tickets then - if I'd known then I'd never get the chance to see him again, I might have.

His concerts were the best. But I was annoyed when I heard he cancelled a concert because it was booked on a Jewish feast day. Tickets were refunded but people lost money on hotels and flights. He had made millions from recent concerts, and he should have either gone ahead or refunded all losses, even if it wasn't his fault, imo.
I think some artists are just plain greedy.

Jaibee007 Fri 29-Oct-21 20:10:03

No way, even if I coukd afford to - no concert is worth more than £25 imo - pure extortion, I can't imagine why anyone would pay that much, there's no one worth it

Catterygirl Sat 30-Oct-21 00:28:13

I can’t be sure but think I saw Rod at the Locarno in Basildon. Maybe he remembers. I didn’t pay anything.

Dinahmo Sat 30-Oct-21 19:00:36

BlueBelle

Wouldn’t pay anything like those prices I feel sorry for the youngsters I saw all the 60 s groups live for peanuts in the 6Os
Could name dozens and dozens including the Stones I ve also seen lots through festivals over the years but no I think it’s extortion and wouldn’t pay into it at all
In modern days I ve seen people like rag and bone man George Ezra etc at a festival lovely atmosphere

It wasn't peanuts when you consider how much we were paid and how much our rent was. 3 of us rented a one bedroomed flat for £12 per week. Utilities on top of that plus food, fares out of a salary of about £12 per week (before tax). This was mid - sixties. I checked for prices at the Marquee and they were between 25p and 50p (5 shillings and 10 shillings). In fact, I usually spent the previous month's salary within a week and so I worked evenings in a cinema to pay for food and entertainment.