Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Concert tickets. How much would you pay?

(141 Posts)
Kate1949 Wed 27-Oct-21 09:56:11

My sisters, who are in their 60s, are life long Rod Stewart fans. They have seen him every single time he has come to Birmingham since the 1970s when he was with The Faces, usually in small venues. Once the tickets were £1 each.
In latter years they have gone with their husbands and, as the tickets were over £100, you can imagine it was an expensive night with parking etc. Still, they love Rod and went. He is coming back in December next year and the tickets are in sale tomorrow. At £174 for reasonable seats. For the first time they can't (and won't) go. How sad. Would you pay?

Kate1949 Sun 31-Oct-21 14:41:53

Our daughter and son-in-law are going to see The Food Fighters next year at Villa Park. I've just looked at the prices. They're dearer than Rod's and it's open air. They could get soaked shock

Maggiemaybe Sun 31-Oct-21 11:51:35

We saw Elton John at a local football stadium years ago. For once we paid a bit extra for the “best seats” on the pitch. The heavens opened and we got absolutely drenched, while everyone in the stands stayed dry. smile

He put on a good performance and engaged with the audience (he must have been in a good mood that day). But the star of the show was definitely Lulu, billed as his support act.

Tusue Sun 31-Oct-21 11:32:58

I went to see Elton John once at an outside venue, he was terrible, basically sounded to us as if he couldn’t hold the tunes any longer.stropped on the stage ,said hello ,went through his list of songs like a robot ,stood up ,smiled and stropped off the stage.very disappointing.
In defence of the Adele ticket prices, the £500 + tickets are the “platinum “or Diamond enclosure,right in front of the stage etc bit VIP really. Great if that’s what you want to spend ,personal choice in my opinion.

MissAdventure Sun 31-Oct-21 07:58:34

You got in at exactly the right time, *Sue".
smile

SueEH Sun 31-Oct-21 07:44:34

Tickets for the Genesis concert I went to last month were £174 and worth every single penny! Their early music was the background to my teenage years and brings back so many happy memories. I’ve seen them before but this was the very last chance as they won’t tour again. If work commitments had permitted if have gone back the following night and done it all over again.

Mollygo Sat 30-Oct-21 22:38:10

Just paid around £100 to go to a concert in London. It’s the cost of transport and overnight stop that made it expensive.

MissAdventure Sat 30-Oct-21 22:24:41

Get to the back of the queue!
Anyway, have you seen his lovely young wife?

GagaJo Sat 30-Oct-21 22:20:33

Yeah, he could sail me, anyday LOL

MissAdventure Sat 30-Oct-21 22:14:11

They've never really floated my boat, for some reason.
Dave Grohl does, though smile

GagaJo Sat 30-Oct-21 22:04:26

MissAdventure

I bet the Foos were worth every penny!
I'm envious!

They were amazing. At Wembley too. Shockingly, I was underwhelmed by the Chilis. I've loved them for years but meh...

MissAdventure Sat 30-Oct-21 19:14:54

I bet the Foos were worth every penny!
I'm envious!

GagaJo Sat 30-Oct-21 19:13:57

Paid £60 to see the Foo Fighters 15 years ago. And more to see the Chili Peppers 10 years ago.

SO, I guess, I'd pay up to about £150 IF I were still into concerts. But covid has put those days permanently to a halt for me.

Kate1949 Sat 30-Oct-21 19:12:50

When I saw The Beatles for ten shillings, I got the ticket out of my Saturday job pay, which was 14s 6d. I had 4s 6d left that week which was plenty!

MerylStreep Sat 30-Oct-21 19:11:51

Catterygirl

I can’t be sure but think I saw Rod at the Locarno in Basildon. Maybe he remembers. I didn’t pay anything.

I saw him at the Kursal in Southend. That’s when the ballroom had a sprung floor.

Dinahmo Sat 30-Oct-21 19:06:55

Catterygirl

I can’t be sure but think I saw Rod at the Locarno in Basildon. Maybe he remembers. I didn’t pay anything.

The first gig I ever went to was Dave Clark at the Locarno, followed by Long John Baldry and Manfred Mann. I left home after that. LJB was the best I think - I had an LP of him and the Hoochie Coochie Men which he signed. Sadly it was nicked from a flat where we had a party.

Dinahmo Sat 30-Oct-21 19:00:36

BlueBelle

Wouldn’t pay anything like those prices I feel sorry for the youngsters I saw all the 60 s groups live for peanuts in the 6Os
Could name dozens and dozens including the Stones I ve also seen lots through festivals over the years but no I think it’s extortion and wouldn’t pay into it at all
In modern days I ve seen people like rag and bone man George Ezra etc at a festival lovely atmosphere

It wasn't peanuts when you consider how much we were paid and how much our rent was. 3 of us rented a one bedroomed flat for £12 per week. Utilities on top of that plus food, fares out of a salary of about £12 per week (before tax). This was mid - sixties. I checked for prices at the Marquee and they were between 25p and 50p (5 shillings and 10 shillings). In fact, I usually spent the previous month's salary within a week and so I worked evenings in a cinema to pay for food and entertainment.

Catterygirl Sat 30-Oct-21 00:28:13

Jaibee007 Fri 29-Oct-21 20:10:03

No way, even if I coukd afford to - no concert is worth more than £25 imo - pure extortion, I can't imagine why anyone would pay that much, there's no one worth it

nadateturbe Fri 29-Oct-21 18:13:26

Blondiescot

I must really be in the minority here - there's no way I would (or even could) pay those kind of prices for a concert ticket! There's a comedian I really like who is coming to Edinburgh and I looked at tickets to see her, but they're more than £50 and even that I balk at paying. I remember when Leonard Cohen was playing at Edinburgh Castle a few years back and I just couldn't pay the price they were asking for tickets then - if I'd known then I'd never get the chance to see him again, I might have.

His concerts were the best. But I was annoyed when I heard he cancelled a concert because it was booked on a Jewish feast day. Tickets were refunded but people lost money on hotels and flights. He had made millions from recent concerts, and he should have either gone ahead or refunded all losses, even if it wasn't his fault, imo.
I think some artists are just plain greedy.

Pearlsaminger Fri 29-Oct-21 16:24:16

Riverwalk

^I’ve seen Elton John in concert… it was the most boring gig ever! He must have been having a bad night. No interaction with the audience apart from hello and goodbye. No encore. And when people stood up to dance they were kicked out. Happened again at a Madness gig, also at the 02 in Greenwich at the Dome. It must be a thing there that you’re not allowed to stand up. But who can sit still at a music event?^

I agree with not being allowed to stand up - it blocks the view of the people behind you! Not everyone can stand up for a long show. Those who want to stand and dance should go in a standing area (mosh pit)

So you’ve NEVER stood up and danced, or stood up to clap or given a standing ovation to a performer?

If I wanted to sit down and see the show without people standing or having the view interrupted, I’d buy the DVD and stay home to watch it. ?

Pearlsaminger Fri 29-Oct-21 16:16:44

Kate1949

Pearl We saw Elton too. He came on, played his songs and went off
No interaction as you say.

I think it was something like the Red Piano Tour or something like that.. very disappointing. The only good thing was that my daughter had won the tickets in a competition, so she didn’t lose any money on them. Just the petrol and the £15 car parking charge.

We come from the same area as Elton grew up in Pinner Middlesex, so used to hold him quite dear to our hearts as he was a ‘local celebrity.’ You can’t beat his older recordings, he has some absolute classics - but I think it all changed after the 80’s for us. Really haven’t followed his music since Nikita came out.

I know Reggie (Elton) had a very big fallout with Rod Stewart after announcing his last tour. Rod told him he was only doing it for the money and they fell out spectacularly. Kissed and made up now though so Rod says ?

Strange as Elton also fell out with George Michael too… wonder if he’s really the diva people say he is! ?

Kate1949 Fri 29-Oct-21 16:01:08

Pearl We saw Elton too. He came on, played his songs and went off
No interaction as you say.

Riverwalk Fri 29-Oct-21 15:23:13

I’ve seen Elton John in concert… it was the most boring gig ever! He must have been having a bad night. No interaction with the audience apart from hello and goodbye. No encore. And when people stood up to dance they were kicked out. Happened again at a Madness gig, also at the 02 in Greenwich at the Dome. It must be a thing there that you’re not allowed to stand up. But who can sit still at a music event?

I agree with not being allowed to stand up - it blocks the view of the people behind you! Not everyone can stand up for a long show. Those who want to stand and dance should go in a standing area (mosh pit)

Chardy Fri 29-Oct-21 14:24:42

I don't think the artist has control over ticket pricing. If you look at different venues on the same tour, the prices can vary considerably.

Pearlsaminger Fri 29-Oct-21 14:10:48

I’ve seen Elton John in concert… it was the most boring gig ever! He must have been having a bad night. No interaction with the audience apart from hello and goodbye. No encore. And when people stood up to dance they were kicked out. Happened again at a Madness gig, also at the 02 in Greenwich at the Dome. It must be a thing there that you’re not allowed to stand up. But who can sit still at a music event?

P!nk in concert is absolutely amazing - her arial show is breathtaking, especially when she glides across the stadium above the fans! It was one of the best concerts I’ve been to. You definitely get a show with P!nk.

Seen Adele in a small intimate gig in London, she was great. Woman next to us was moaning, telling us, and everyone around us to stop singing! Rude! We sang louder!

Lucky enough to have seen George Michael twice in concert - once at Wembley Arena once at the stadium.

The arena concert was fantastic. It was where he brought out Elton John as a guest and they duetted ‘Don't let the sun go down in me’ which was then released.

I do tell people I feature on that song as a backing singer ???