Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Have you ever been on a TV show?

(102 Posts)
Scones Wed 27-Oct-21 22:07:37

Watching Escape to the Country today and wondering what makes people go on this type of show. I'm glad they do as I love watching but I wouldn't do it myself.

Have you ever been on a TV show? What made you go on it and what was the experience like?

Calistemon Fri 05-Nov-21 20:58:52

Lucca

geekesse

Does being on Mastermind count (in the days of Magnus Mangnusson)?

Certainly does !,

Ooh yes, geekesse
You've won (at least in the Gransnet Hall of Fame)

I did meet Sally Magnusson once (Songs of Praise) although the cameras missed me. sad

Lucca Fri 05-Nov-21 18:04:38

geekesse

Certainly does !,

geekesse Fri 05-Nov-21 17:04:46

mumofmadboys Fri 05-Nov-21 13:59:05

My son was an extra in the film Calendar Girls!

Kate1949 Fri 05-Nov-21 12:35:54

I was in the audience of Thank Your Lucky Stars (remember that?). The camera focused on the person in front of me (story of my life) so my knees and hands have been in TV.
I have a picture of myself and a few other people sitting on stage directly behind The Beatles at another episode of TYLS but that was a rehearsal. I've been on the radio a few times talking about my Beatles escapades.

Sago Fri 05-Nov-21 10:45:51

My husband was on BBC breakfast on Boxing Day about 16 years ago.
He and his birth mother were the first adopted child/ mother reunion in the UK after a law change to allow birth parents to find their children.

The filming took place a week previously at his mothers home, the item was shown on a loop throughout the morning so nearly everyone we knew got to see it!

The phone never stopped ringing!

BigBertha1 Fri 05-Nov-21 06:50:22

I have been on the radio talking about Gransnet.

BigBertha1 Fri 05-Nov-21 06:48:57

Songs of Praise and DH was on Esther Rantzens That's Life.

Calistemon Thu 04-Nov-21 22:53:12

My DC have all been on TV and in films but nothing major (yet!)

grannyactivist Thu 04-Nov-21 22:49:04

Not daughter’s! Daughters.

grannyactivist Thu 04-Nov-21 22:48:26

I’ve been on the tellybox a few times, but blink and you’d miss me. Once was a short interview about my job, once at the Remembrance service at the Royal Albert Hall, and two or three times on Songs of Praise. I have been on radio and one of my interviews (about tracing birth families) was really quite extensive and I knew the whole office would be listening in. Fortunately I had a lot of experience to draw on so I was able to acquit myself well enough to get a round of applause when I got back to work.

One of my daughter’s has a beautiful singing voice and as a youngster she was on Songs of Praise twice. One of those times she was interviewed for the Mother’s Day programme and I sat with the whole family and watched her saying how much she loved me, that I was a wonderful mother and her best friend etc.

With tears in my eyes I turned to embrace her and she shrugged her shoulders and with a completely deadpan face looked me in the eyes and said, “I lied”.

She was a minx! ?‍♀️

She was also on an episode of Cracker when she was at junior school and received a payment of £50!!

grannyrebel7 Thu 04-Nov-21 22:06:07

DH and I have been on Question Time twice. The second time the camera was on us a lot. The next day people in work kept coming up to me and saying they'd seen me! It was quite embarrassing ?

Pinnywinch Thu 04-Nov-21 19:50:21

I was on the local southern news in about 1962 as we were going on the Troopship Nevassa to Kenya (my father had been posted there).
The other time was in approx 1994 in Childrens Hospital when it was filmed in Sheffield. ?

grannybuy Sun 31-Oct-21 00:08:44

I was at the Big C at the Albert Hall one year. I just happened to turn the TV on near Christmas, and the recording was on, and while I was on the phone telling DD to watch it, we both saw myself on the screen.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 30-Oct-21 14:16:49

That seems jolly unfair Tizliz I expect they weren't ready to give away the top prize, though there was no guarantee that the next £1m question would be comparable but I bet she felt a bit miffed.

Sometimes you wonder what they have in mind at the auditions. I can only surmise that they want people who are fairly good quizzers, are reasonably likeable and confident enough not to freeze on screen.

Smileless2012 Sat 30-Oct-21 14:05:30

Yes, I was on 'This Morning' in August 2017 with Ruth and Eamonn.

The Daily Mail had done a feature article on Esther Rantzen following the birth of her twin GC. She wrote about how wonderful it is to be a GM, and how terrible it must be for those not allowed to see their GC.

The DM asked people to write in about their experience of not being able to see their GC so I did. My peace was featured in the 17.8.2017 edition in it's entirety and later that morning the paper 'phoned and asked if they could forward my details to ITV's 'This Morning'. I said it was OK and about 3.00pm they 'phoned and asked me to appear on the show the next dayshock.

Mr. S. and I were on a train at 17.30 down to London, collected at the station and taken to a hotel. We were collected first thing the next day and taken to the studio where I was given a wig to protect the identity of our GC, and just to be on the safe side, I was filmed from behind.

I was called Gloria, the name given to me in the newspaper article, once again to prevent our GC's identities and was the first guest on the show that morning.

Before filming, Eamonn came into the Green room to introduce himself to me, shook Mr. S. by the hand and said 'I see you've bought your dad with you'grin.

He was lovely, they both were. I wasn't the slightest bit nervous it had been 5 years since our estrangement had begun, and I found it incredibly liberating and empowering.

When the interview was over, just as I'd left the studio there was a commercial break and I heard Eamonn calling me back. I went to the door way and he asked me to remove the wig so he could see exactly what I look like. I did and he gave me two thumbs upsmile.

By 12.30 we were back on the train heading for home.

vegansrock Sat 30-Oct-21 06:21:13

My YDS has been on Eggheads and sang on Songs of Praise, my EDD was on the Weakest Link years ago and Portrait Artist of the Year current series( her episode hasn’t been shown yet) , my EDS has been on the news TV/ radio quite a few times as an “expert”.

absent Sat 30-Oct-21 05:50:16

I have been on TV a few times but probably not on what you would call a show, such as a quiz. I was on the News at Ten once.

mokryna Sat 30-Oct-21 03:27:53

When I stopped at a set of red traffic lights, I was asked my opinion on the changed speed limits by a local French camera news team, that was shown twice but I didn’t see it.

I was also in the BBC radio audience, 4th January 1967 when Jimi Hendrix preformed. The news before he played announced the death of Donald Campbell.

Youngest DD’s French class was shown singing twice on Chinese TV.

Zoejory Sat 30-Oct-21 00:21:40

Curlywhirly

Zoeyjory I went to Mr Smiths a couple of times, so I must have seen you! From memory the dancers were on a podium inside a cage.

Probably , (Curlywhirley*

Yes, those rather wobbly cages! I doubt anyone would want to see me cavorting in one of those now!

glammagran Sat 30-Oct-21 00:19:01

DD1’s X from approx 30 years ago is appearing on Family Fortunes this weekend. As I’ve never watched it I cannot offer up an opinion.

Framilode Fri 29-Oct-21 21:15:11

I was on the panel in a schools quiz show in my early teens. Our team won but no thanks to me. I absolutely froze in front of the camera and failed to answer questions that I could have answered easily if I had not been on t.v. It was filmed in front of both schools and if I think about it now I still feel embarrassed and ashamed.

We were also interviewed by Al Jazeera during the big pro EU march in London. Whether it was ever shown I don't know.

Cindersdad Fri 29-Oct-21 20:48:01

I was on Antiques Roadshow in 2008 from Liverpool with a Scottie Wilson painting.

Lizbethann55 Fri 29-Oct-21 20:04:47

My husband was on Songs of Praise a few years ago. The BBC had approached all the local churches and our priest recommended my husband. Someone came round a while before filming to see DH was suitable. On the day of filming the film crew moved some of our furniture around to get the best look and a huge lamp was shone through our window from outside. Russell Watson was the interviewer and it all went very smoothly. On the day of the church service we were told where to sit. When the programme was broadcast, my husband was shone a lot in the service bit, but there was not one glimpse of me even though I was right next to him.
It was amazing how even years later people would say " Didn't I see you on Songs of Praise"

aggie Fri 29-Oct-21 19:29:31

I was on channel 4 news as the background to the newscaster talking about the new euro currency , my daughter was just back from Japan and had bright yellow hair , she was at the cash dispenser and we were examining the new currency while the talking was going on !
I was on the radio on Gardeners Corner asking a question , all was well till I had to talk back to the answer to my question , it was off the cuff and my voice ascended to a squeak!
I never volunteer for anything now !