Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Freddie Mercury

(66 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 27-Nov-21 21:44:38

I'm watching a really interesting (and sad) programme about the man, the music, and the attitude to AIDS, back when it was first known about.

If anyone gets the chance to watch it on catch up or something, I can recommend it.

Shelbel Mon 29-Nov-21 17:08:13

I saw it and loved it. He was so talented and such a loss.

MissAdventure Mon 29-Nov-21 14:35:22

Oh, I am glad!
Weren't we lucky to have had him?

Kim19 Mon 29-Nov-21 14:34:35

Thank you for this recommendation. As a direct result, I watched this show and thoroughly enjoyed it.

MissAdventure Mon 29-Nov-21 12:33:51

Almost christmas!
smile

youtu.be/Y1fiOJDXA-E

Dee1012 Mon 29-Nov-21 12:19:26

I think he was an incredibly talented man and his voice.....I listened to the isolated vocals once and was in awe.

Shakespeare said it very well 'He was perfect in everything. I'll never see the likes of him again.'

Rosalyn69 Mon 29-Nov-21 12:09:53

I watched this too. A great star and so sad. So many young men died too soon.

Kali2 Mon 29-Nov-21 11:18:37

I regularly see his statue by the Lake and always pat his bottom ... although I refrained a few weeks ago. As every single tourist can't resist doing so... I caught Covid by doing so exactly 1 year ago. It took me several days before I realised what had happened ... as I had been so so so careful! In fact, a friend suggested it- and I thought 'bingo'.

choughdancer Mon 29-Nov-21 11:12:05

SO jealous of all of you that saw him live!

MissAdventure Sun 28-Nov-21 20:06:16

You don't know what you've got till it's gone is certainly true of Freddie, I think.
He was just so great that it kind of gets forgotten until you see him in action again.

Auntieflo Sun 28-Nov-21 20:02:50

I watched both programmes, on catch up, this afternoon. Great, but had teary eyes at times. What talent .

Washerwoman Sun 28-Nov-21 18:11:52

Urmstongran.DH and I were at that concert at Manchester Maine Road too.and really close to the stage.That day I had just found out I was pregnant with our first DC.Happy days indeed and last nights programme brought back memories of how amazing they were.

MissAdventure Sun 28-Nov-21 13:15:01

smile

choughdancer Sun 28-Nov-21 11:02:43

Weren't the programmes wonderful! I also watched on My5 Freddie Mercury in his Own Words. Lots of interviews with Freddie (and others who were close to him, but mainly the man himself). It showed how shy he was in person, and I can relate as I am shy, but once in a costume and/or mask I change completely! As always I was crying by the end, as I was last night. An amazing man, song writer, musician and singer.

Kandinsky Sun 28-Nov-21 10:53:53

Very sad.
So many beautiful, talented, young men died awful painful deaths.
And to add to the pain, just a few short years later an effective drug treatment came out that kept people alive & well.

Coastpath Sun 28-Nov-21 10:50:45

I adored the film Bohemian Rhapsody so much I went to the cinema to see it twice. Those Live Aid scenes gave me goosebumps.

Just recently I watched the video to Living on my Own. Oh my goodness what a thrill, I was singing along and longing for those carefree party days. Wish dear old Freddie was still here with us. We need people like him to light up our lives.

henetha Sun 28-Nov-21 10:46:09

I absolutely adored Freddie and loved all Queen music.
No one can ever take his place, even though I do like the way Adam Lambert sings those Queen songs.
I think they are touring next year (Covid permitting) but I expect the availability and ticket prices are beyond me.

Jaxjacky Sun 28-Nov-21 09:35:41

I saw them in May ‘77 in Southampton.
Also went to the tribute in 92, I’ve still got the ticket and programme.
David Bowie and Annie Lennox singing Under Pressure gave me goosebumps then and still does now.
Freddie was a one off, unique. The programme last night was sad, but interesting too, a piece of history.

J52 Sun 28-Nov-21 08:54:56

Amazing man and band. We had them play at Uni the year before they really took off. The Student Union paid them £40 for the gig.
They were really friendly, chatting in the bar after the first set. Little did we all know!

Urmstongran Sun 28-Nov-21 08:39:59

He was the ultimate showman. We saw him in one of Queen’s last concerts at the old Man City ground Maine Road. Status Quo were the support band.

joannapiano Sun 28-Nov-21 08:32:32

We also enjoyed the programs last night.
My brother was at Reading University in the late 60’s and he saw Queen perform one of their first live concerts there. He said they were not very good! I think Brian May was still studying at Imperial College then.

MissAdventure Sat 27-Nov-21 23:37:56

RIP

Bridie22 Sat 27-Nov-21 23:30:51

Fabulous Freddie he is so missed,

OnwardandUpward Sat 27-Nov-21 23:25:56

Bluebelle I thought the same and smiled at Freddies sister's singing. They don't look or sound alike, but it was nice to see her and I hadn't seen her before.

Freddie was so talented, one in a million, for sure.

Calistemon Sat 27-Nov-21 23:24:39

Speak for yourself ?

MissAdventure Sat 27-Nov-21 23:23:03

It comes to us all in the end. wink