Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Power Of The Dog - Netflix

(37 Posts)
Jane43 Sat 18-Dec-21 11:55:12

For me this was an amazing film, for DH not so much. It is set on a ranch in Montana in the 1920s (but actually filmed in New Zealand) owned by two brothers who have a very close relationship, then one brother meets a woman with a grown up son who is studying to be a doctor, marries her and brings her and her son to live at the ranch . The ensuing relationships between the four main characters make up the story which has a very dramatic conclusion. It is slow moving but, for me, compulsive viewing - the cinematography is amazing as one would expect from a Jane Campion film and the performances from Dominic Cumberbatch and Kirsten Dunst are exceptional.

MayBee70 Wed 06-Apr-22 00:59:14

Just watched it and was seriously underwhelmed by it, although I’m not in the best of moods so maybe that didn’t help. I usually like slow burning films like this as well.

Pepper59 Tue 05-Apr-22 15:09:56

Sue, he acted his socks off in The Responder, really excellent.

Pythagoras Mon 04-Apr-22 12:52:06

SueDonim I think that about a lot of the "national treasures" who just play themselves in different costumes. Many of the British actors are one trick ponies.

There are some very good American actors, and some that are not so good, and the same goes for British actors.

I thought The Power of the Dog was overrated...

SueDonim Mon 04-Apr-22 12:38:43

Pepper59

Unfortunately I must be the only person on the planet who thinks Mr Cumberbatch is way overrated. I did enjoy Sherlock until that ridiculous final season. I actually think Martin Freeman is a far better actor who seems to get little credit, but each to their own.

Oh, that’s funny. I always think Martin Freeman plays Martin Freeman in all his roles. grin

Caleo Mon 04-Apr-22 11:01:46

Thanks Boz. If I had read your comment before seeing the film I may have understood it.

henetha Mon 04-Apr-22 10:29:07

I was slightly underwhelmed by this, although I did appreciate the acting and the way the tension built.

Jane43 Mon 04-Apr-22 10:22:48

Pepper59 Martin Freeman has won many awards for his acting performances and has been nominated numerous times. There is a list here:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Freeman

Perhaps he avoids publicity more than other actors. I agree he is a good actor and very versatile, he was particularly good in the series Fargo.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 04-Apr-22 09:13:44

Saw the film and then discovered it was a book. Usually I read a book and then moan about the film ruining it. In this case the film adaptation was spot on. No changes and an excellent understanding of the book. The book pads out the story so of course even better. I am going to watch the film again with more understanding.

Pepper59 Sun 03-Apr-22 23:27:47

Unfortunately I must be the only person on the planet who thinks Mr Cumberbatch is way overrated. I did enjoy Sherlock until that ridiculous final season. I actually think Martin Freeman is a far better actor who seems to get little credit, but each to their own.

Jane43 Sun 03-Apr-22 22:49:02

Boz

This is not an Action movie. It is about psychological warfare with your family in order to be top dog. Very deep themes you need to plug into to enjoy this film. Predict Cumberbatch for Oscar win.

Yes that’s exactly what it was about. I saw an interview with Benedict Cumberbatch and he said it was about toxic masculinity.

JaneJudge Sun 03-Apr-22 16:13:25

I thought it was like one of those day time films on channel 4!

granfromafar Sun 03-Apr-22 16:11:58

JaneJudge

oh I was going to watch this but accidentally watched the lost daughter instead. Will give it a go

I didn't think a lot of the Lost Daughter either! What did you make of it JaneJudge?

SueDonim Sun 03-Apr-22 14:23:03

I recently saw this and loved it. Unusually for me, I realised fairly early on what the denouement was likely to be. I thought the sense of menace was palpable. It received mixed reviews from others in my house, I will admit!

My memory might be misleading me as it’s more than 40 years since I saw it, but it reminded me a bit of Clint Eastwood’s film The Beguiled.

snowberryZ Sun 03-Apr-22 12:44:32

I didn't like it
I tried to, but found it all a bit self indulgent and all a bit try hard.
And very slow.

FlexibleFriend Sun 03-Apr-22 12:40:40

I thought it was boring and nearly turned it off a number of times but stuck with it and wished I hadn't.

Shinamae Sun 03-Apr-22 12:34:06

Got about 25 minutes in then gave up,not for me..

Shandy57 Sun 03-Apr-22 12:32:56

I was put off by the description of 'animal dissection' - is it explicit? I can never unsee things once seen.

JaneJudge Sun 03-Apr-22 12:29:15

oh I was going to watch this but accidentally watched the lost daughter instead. Will give it a go

Kate1949 Sun 03-Apr-22 12:25:22

I might give it a go then. My husband watched it and said it was a load of old tripe.

granfromafar Sat 02-Apr-22 23:31:25

Just watched this film on Netflix. So many scenes filmed in poor lighting it was hard to see what was going on. Beautiful scenery, not surprising when I discovered it was filmed in NZ. Had to Google the ending for an explanation!

Urmstongran Thu 30-Dec-21 19:39:04

Yet I might watch it again next week Kali2 I loved it all so much!
Good job we’re all different.

Kali2 Thu 30-Dec-21 19:29:43

Who said it was an 'action movie'?

Boz Thu 30-Dec-21 12:08:38

This is not an Action movie. It is about psychological warfare with your family in order to be top dog. Very deep themes you need to plug into to enjoy this film. Predict Cumberbatch for Oscar win.

Kali2 Wed 29-Dec-21 18:04:21

My dil's comment was 'well that was 2 hours I'll never get back again' ... I don't think I could even consider watching it again, and double that time 'lost'.

humptydumpty Wed 29-Dec-21 18:00:12

Kali2 worth looking it up with Google to get clear what was going on - we felt a need to watch again as we missed vital clues