Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Ladies in Lavender (Netflix)

(26 Posts)
tanith Sun 27-Feb-22 12:36:25

I watched this lovely gentle film yesterday such a beautiful story.
Dames Judy Dench and Maggie Smith as well as Miriam Margolyes all star a really good watch in fact I will probably watch it again.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 27-Feb-22 12:41:06

A real tonic for anyone getting bogged down with everything going on.

Purplepixie Sun 27-Feb-22 12:45:02

I’ll have a look at that one as I need something to unclog my brains at the moment with all of this misery in the world going on.

Grandmabatty Sun 27-Feb-22 13:31:16

The violin playing is sublime. Joshua Bell is the violinist. Daniel Bruhn the actor is excellent too. Two Dames of the acting world show how it is done perfectly. A lovely film.

GagaJo Sun 27-Feb-22 13:47:45

Lovely film.

Shandy57 Sun 27-Feb-22 13:50:10

It's lovely isn't it. My best friend's partner was the set dresser and still has the quilt from Judy Dench's bed in his loft - I'm hoping to receive it as a gift when they visit!

Luckygirl3 Sun 27-Feb-22 13:54:24

My OH and I saw this many years ago, with no idea what it was about. We were enchanted with it - OH was a talented amateur violinist and as music lovers we thoroughly enjoyed it. Superb acting - Miriam Margoyles is brilliant.

BigBertha1 Sun 27-Feb-22 16:03:55

Its a beautiful film. I remember my darling father watching this and getting upset as Judy dench reminded him so much of his own mother who died when he was a boy- indeed the likeness on family photographs was striking.

Harris27 Sun 27-Feb-22 16:06:47

Lovely film very poignant.

Sparklefizz Thu 03-Mar-22 21:12:52

tanith Thank you so much for mentioning this film. I saw it at the cinema years ago but had forgotten what a truly lovely film it is.... superb acting and exquisite music, and just the perfect escapist antidote to the terrible news at the moment.

tanith Thu 03-Mar-22 21:16:06

I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Callistemon21 Thu 03-Mar-22 21:47:00

I have this on DVD, time for another airing I think.
Thanks for the reminder, tanith
Yes, we've got Netflix - who keeps DVDs?

Spice101 Thu 03-Mar-22 21:50:39

Love it but then again pretty much anything Judi Dench is in I love.

My all time favourite of hers is Mrs Henderson Presents.

Kalu Fri 04-Mar-22 01:20:58

Beautiful film. I bought the dvd years ago for the simple reason it starred Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. I wasn’t disappointed. A lovely gentle film with such beautiful music which I listen to often.

I noticed it was on Netflix. It deserves another viewing soon.

Armynanny Sun 06-Mar-22 11:02:06

What a lovely film thanks for the recommendations.

Ashcombe Sun 06-Mar-22 11:05:18

I’ve seen this as a stage play. A lovely, gentle story.

JaneJudge Sun 06-Mar-22 11:07:56

Oh i think I'll watch this later. I watched an erased boy yesterday, which was really quite sad but had a happy(ish) ending smile

I only say ish as it is unbelievable it still goes on

JaneJudge Sun 06-Mar-22 11:08:22

actually it was called Boy Erased blush

Witzend Sun 06-Mar-22 11:08:39

tanith

I watched this lovely gentle film yesterday such a beautiful story.
Dames Judy Dench and Maggie Smith as well as Miriam Margolyes all star a really good watch in fact I will probably watch it again.

Thank you! After hearing the lovely theme tune on Classic the other day, I had a real yen to watch it again, and wondered whether it was on Netflix.

ShazzaKanazza Sun 06-Mar-22 12:48:37

I’ll watch this without DH when he goes out cos he can’t stand Miriam Margolyes. He thinks she’s a horrible foul mouthed woman but I really like her she’s a fine actress and I like her blunt nature. Watched her in Plebs she was very funny.

Elusivebutterfly Sun 06-Mar-22 13:25:15

I also watched Ladies in Lavendar this week and agree it is a lovely film. After that I watched Judi Dench in Esio Trot which is very different but also light and easy to watch.

Sparklefizz Sun 06-Mar-22 13:31:08

ShazzaKanazza

I’ll watch this without DH when he goes out cos he can’t stand Miriam Margolyes. He thinks she’s a horrible foul mouthed woman but I really like her she’s a fine actress and I like her blunt nature. Watched her in Plebs she was very funny.

In real life she is (or seems to be) but she's good in Ladies in Lavender.

Witzend Yes, it's on Netflix.

travelsafar Sun 06-Mar-22 14:06:36

Wish i still had Netflix it went along with my DH when he died, he use to pay for it each month i will probably at some point re instate. I love this film such beautiful acting and music and as others have said a gentle film perfect for Sunday afternoon viewing. Especially now as the world in such turmoil, we need something gentle in our lives.

Shandy57 Sun 06-Mar-22 22:25:04

Can you juggle your budget to get it again travelsafar? It's gone up now. We used to have Sky which I stopped when my husband died. I think Netflix has some marvellous films and as I can't bear to watch the suffering on tv anymore, I'm going to watch some series.

Armynanny Mon 07-Mar-22 12:14:41

travelsafar

Wish i still had Netflix it went along with my DH when he died, he use to pay for it each month i will probably at some point re instate. I love this film such beautiful acting and music and as others have said a gentle film perfect for Sunday afternoon viewing. Especially now as the world in such turmoil, we need something gentle in our lives.

Do you have anyone you could share it with? We give our son the extra money to have us on the account.