Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Life After Life - BBC begins this evening

(63 Posts)
Jane43 Tue 19-Apr-22 09:30:23

I am a fan of Kate Atkinson's books and read this one a while ago. I hope the series does it justice and the trailers do look good.

MayBee70 Sat 30-Apr-22 11:48:34

I wonder if I should stop binge watching and read the book. I can’t seem to find books that grab my attention these days.

Dempie55 Sat 30-Apr-22 11:53:42

already watched the first episode - it was fabulous!

MayBee70 Sun 01-May-22 12:01:25

Watched a couple more episodes last night. Made me feel terribly sad, but not necessarily in a bad way if that makes sense.

MayBee70 Mon 02-May-22 02:33:47

SPOILER ALERT.I’ve just watched several interviews with Kate Atkinson and was relieved to hear someone say that Life After Life ended so abruptly it took her aback and left her a bit angry because I felt that at the end of the series. Relieved to find that I really like Kate Atkinson and relate to her in several ways eg she loves objects and tends to retrieve things from her family home because her Zen like mother just throws things away. And that she’s an only child. Also she did a reading from the book and it seems that a lot of the dialogue from the book is in the series. Also, as people that have read the book have said, the book is quite witty. Having binge watched it I can’t quite move on from it and might have to rewatch it. I do hope they adapt A God in Ruins although I’ve stupidly wikipedia’d it so I know what happens…..

tiredoldwoman Mon 02-May-22 09:00:08

It was a driech day here yesterday so I binge watched Life after Life . I loved it , a wee bit confusing at first but I relaxed into it - just like life !

Glorianny Thu 05-May-22 10:33:44

I didn't particularly like the book and couldn't decide why as it is beautifully written and I usually love her books. But watching the TV series has clarified what I find wrong with it.It mixes up two theories of life, reincarnation and the infinite universes theory. If you are reincarnated as Ursula sometimes seems to be you come back as someone different. If you are part of the infinite universes your life splits every time you make a choice, or are subjected to some incident. The life you are living continues as it was but another you in another universe makes a different choice and lives a different life. The idea that you live the same life over and over again seems a rather narrow and restricted idea. Apart from that I think it's a reasonably good production.

dragonfly46 Thu 05-May-22 10:38:06

I loved both the book and the series.

mokryna Tue 10-May-22 22:03:07

I was left wondering if there was something more to come but the TV series finished this evening.
Does the book have the same ending?

Sara1954 Sun 15-May-22 19:19:35

I am so happy I persevered with this program.
After the first episode I wasn’t sure, but I’ve just watched the last three, and found it to be outstanding.
Don’t pretend to completely understand it, but it was a wonderful production, the acting was superb, especially Ursula.
I was crying through most of the final episode, so poignant.

Cs783 Sun 15-May-22 19:25:24

Just reread the book and it seemed so much more cheerful than the tv adaptation. I’ll rewatch it, then no doubt re- reread, then…

A God In Ruins is just wonderful, perhaps the best way in to Kate Atkinson books? Oh if you haven’t already read the Jackson Brodie books, of course

MayBee70 Thu 19-May-22 10:52:04

mokryna

I was left wondering if there was something more to come but the TV series finished this evening.
Does the book have the same ending?

I saw an interview with the author and I think the book ends in the same way. Because there isn’t an ending to it as she will continue to be reborn.

OakDryad Thu 19-May-22 11:04:56

I watched the first episode, enjoyed it but found it was going too fast, missing the thoughtfulness and nuances of the book. I've decided not to watch the rest.

Having reread the book, I don't want to give too much away but it returns to the event which starts the book (but not the TV adaptation). Ursula does something which changes world events.

Then there is a series of very short chapters revisiting the different scenarios of her births, over and over. The final chapter is midwife Mrs Haddock the midwife, snowbound in the pub.