Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Grace on tv tonight

(60 Posts)
Claudiaclaws Sun 24-Apr-22 23:16:50

Is it just me or was the sound really bad on this programme.
Please don't accuse me of racism, byt the female person of colour was dreadful, I couldn't tell a word she was saying.
Another problem is that the music is too loud.

aonk Mon 25-Apr-22 13:56:51

I didn’t watch this last night but will catch up with it during this week. I’m not surprised that people found it gruesome. There’s no point in comparing it with other programmes. I’ve read all the Roy Grace books and am a huge admirer of Peter James. The books are graphically horrifying and so not for everyone. The tv series is based on the books hence the scenes some viewers find distasteful. This is what tv dramatisation is supposed to be.

sodapop Mon 25-Apr-22 17:04:12

Again I agree with you Curlywhirly the earlier Grace books were the better ones.
I was quite surprised at the Norman Potting casting aka Dot Cotton. He was good in the part though even if he did not fit the physical description.

shysal Mon 25-Apr-22 17:11:53

Thank you Terribull for the back story.

Hellogirl1 Mon 25-Apr-22 17:20:22

I quite enjoyed last night`s programme, no sound problems. I`ve read all the Roy Grace books by Peter James, I love them. Like someone else said though, I did miss the sometimes comical banter between Grace and Glen.

Chestnut Mon 25-Apr-22 23:47:11

Chestnut

I have recorded it but not watched yet so can't give you an opinion on the sound. However, since using my hearing aid linked to the TV I've had no trouble with sound at all and can hear speech crystal clear. I will get back to you when I've watched to say whether I notice these issues you mention.

Just to add to my first comment. I decided to give it a go and found it rather dismal and depressing. Gave up after 15 minutes as I couldn't waste any more time on that. Felt rather sad remembering John Simm in 'Life on Mars' which was such fun and so much more enjoyable. What has happened to series like that, everything now is so dark and full of miserable characters.
As for the sound, my hearing aid worked just fine with the TV and I heard every word, so maybe you need to try that Claudiaclaws

Boz Tue 26-Apr-22 09:45:14

I don't like Peter Jame's books which was confirmed by this tv adaptation. Dreary character and vile content.

Claudiaclaws Thu 28-Apr-22 00:02:27

Thank you everyone for your replies. Especially Chestnut and the use of a hearing aid. I think I really am going to have to have a hearing test.

Chestnut Thu 28-Apr-22 16:44:21

Claudia my Phonak hearing aid from Boots is tuned wirelessly to the TV through a little device which simply plugs into the TV. I was given this free!
Phonak TV Connector
I don't know how this works if one person has a hearing aid and another doesn't. I also don't know about any other types of hearing aid and whether they connect to the TV. You'd need to check all these things.

TillyTrotter Mon 02-May-22 08:03:19

I gave the second episode a try last night and found the storyline, as it eventually unfolded in the last 15 mins, unbelievable.
Did anyone else?

TillyTrotter Mon 02-May-22 08:04:47

Cleo came into the story last night and I liked her and Roy’s blossoming relationship.

Curlywhirly Mon 02-May-22 08:09:15

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the actor playing Grace (I know he's usually a good actor) is rather wooden in this series? It's hard to imagine that Cleo would fancy Grace as he comes across as so boring!

ElaineI Mon 02-May-22 08:26:13

Regardless of that programme, I have different sound settings for different programmes. We have a sound bar thing. So news programmes are 11 or 12, documentaries 12, Corrie and Emmerdale (DH not me) 12, Casualty and Grace type programmes 14 and Not going Out type programmes 13. This is because actors don't speak clearly. Newscasters do and most soaps are ok probably as the actors are trained to speak clearly and are used to scripts but others I believe are meant to talk naturally which doesn't really work well especially as you get older.

TillyTrotter Mon 02-May-22 08:26:55

Is it because of the nature of his wife’s disappearance causing him to put a guard up around himself?

TillyTrotter Mon 02-May-22 08:28:43

Annoyingly the adverts come on - which I don’t need to hear - and the volume rises to be very loud.

Curlywhirly Mon 02-May-22 08:49:20

TillyTrotter

Is it because of the nature of his wife’s disappearance causing him to put a guard up around himself?

It could be -I don't suppose the character would be too cheerful with a missing wife mystery to deal with; but I think they should have made him a little bit more interesting, from what we saw I can't imagine why Cleo would actually ask him out ?

Calendargirl Mon 02-May-22 08:55:48

I didn’t really take to Cleo.

“I’m not going to sleep with you, well, not tonight.”

I hoped John Simm might say “Huh, well, don’t flatter yourself darling”.

grin

As regards the storyline, I lost track of how many baddies there were, and which one was the killer.

Haven’t read the story, what about the stalking ex abattoir mortuary worker who also fancies Cleo? What was all that about?

BigBertha1 Mon 02-May-22 09:19:38

I nodded off in this one!

Glorianny Mon 02-May-22 10:48:47

Oh dear. The story line last night was ridiculous. I always think that the solution (which I won't reveal) is the last refuge of an author who has written themselves into a corner!!
Can't decide if I want to watch more or not.

BlueBelle Mon 02-May-22 10:54:55

I didn’t like Cleo at all I was hoping he’d say no to her too calandergirl
I was getting on with it ok until the end which then became totally ridiculous and unbelievable He is a bit boring and stiff isn’t he not someone you’d throw yourself at
There isn’t much else on so guess I ll stick with it

Callistemon21 Mon 02-May-22 12:01:48

We didn't see the first episode, thought last night's was okish and were relieved that the 'mystery' (such as it was) was solved in one episode. DH thought I'd written the script as I kept predicting what was going to happen, it was so obvious ?.

We didn't have to use sub-titles as we do with some BBC programmes and nor did they film it all in the dark as the BBC tends to do.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-May-22 12:02:45

Sorry - I meant to say - did she go straight from the mortuary on a date without having a shower first?

Charleygirl5 Mon 02-May-22 12:18:30

Cleo on TV is not the same as the character in the book who is really lovely and not as "forward" as last night stating she would not sleep with him on their first date. He is so wooden I really do not like Simm as Grace.

At least last night was watchable but as somebody said, we did not have much choice!

I switched it off last week but stuck with it last night. At least it was not filmed in the dark, makes a pleasant change.

Curlywhirly Mon 02-May-22 12:29:19

I agree Charleygirl5 - Cleo (and Grace) are much nicer and likeable in the books.

Rosalyn69 Mon 02-May-22 13:13:38

I didn’t take to the denouement either. It was just silly. Neither did I take to Cleo. I liked the first episode. This one was just meh.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-May-22 15:08:15

TillyTrotter

I gave the second episode a try last night and found the storyline, as it eventually unfolded in the last 15 mins, unbelievable.
Did anyone else?

Predictable!!

I kept spoiling it or DH by telling him what would happen next
No, I haven't read the books grin