Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Midwich Cuckoos?

(28 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 11-Jun-22 07:24:46

Hello! On Sky.
I watched one and a half episodes yesterday.

Not my normal type of thing at all (sci fi) but I’m loving it.
Keeley Hawes is brilliant as usual.

Anyone else watching?

Or seen the film, for that matter, or read John Wyndham’s book?
Thanks!

Calendargirl Sat 11-Jun-22 07:31:17

Don’t have Sky, but don’t think Keeley always picks great parts….

That rubbish about the dead husband who fell down the stairs, the revival of Upstairs Downstairs… but yes, a good actress.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 11-Jun-22 07:33:25

I read the book many, many years ago.

I don’t usually watch the film after I’ve read the book, but I might give it a go.

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Jun-22 07:34:18

She was fab in Line of Duty, too

A complete aside, but in the first episode she goes for a date in London, and wears the most beautiful dress

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Jun-22 07:39:23

I’ve just realised that Hawes looks very similar to Catherine, DoC.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 11-Jun-22 07:39:25

OH and I binge watched the first three episodes last night. Highly recommended. I read the book years ago and saw that film with the creepy blonde-wigged children. I also watched a dreadful remake with Christopher Reeve.

tanith Sat 11-Jun-22 07:55:53

I saw the adverts and thought it looked interesting, then realised it was on Sky which I don’t have. Annoying when they show adverts for programs I can’t watch ?

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Jun-22 07:58:15

That is annoying tanith
Bring a bottle and pop around to minesmile

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 11-Jun-22 08:00:19

tanith

I saw the adverts and thought it looked interesting, then realised it was on Sky which I don’t have. Annoying when they show adverts for programs I can’t watch ?

We’re watching it on Now TV.

tanith Sat 11-Jun-22 08:03:54

Ooh thank you ? I do have Now TV I’ll take a look.

Grandmabatty Sat 11-Jun-22 08:04:00

I am a big fan of all John Wyndham novels. I've watched two films made of the Midwich Cuckoo's, the second one with Christopher Reeve, and enjoyed them both. My favourites by Wyndham are probably The Day of the Triffids and The Chrysalids. Sadly I don't have sky so won't see this version of the cuckoos.

Marydoll Sat 11-Jun-22 08:08:29

In my twenties, I too was a big fan of John Wyndham, read all the novels, then suddenly lost interest in sci fi novels. No idea why.
I don't know if I would want to watch a film now.

Mollygo Sat 11-Jun-22 08:19:00

Read the book years ago. We’re watching it now and it’s OK. DH is loving it, but it’s too slow for me so I bought the book and read it again.

eazybee Sat 11-Jun-22 08:37:14

Absolute rubbish. Read the book many years ago and enjoyed it, re-read it about five years ago in Book Group and we were all shocked at how misogynistic it was; poor little women who couldn't think for themselves and needed the strong men to make decisions for them.
The production presents a very metropolitan take on an idyllic village which actually would be full of empty holiday lets, second homes and retired people. Not many fecund women available.

Patsy70 Sat 11-Jun-22 08:42:46

I’ve downloaded the book, as however much I’m enjoying a programme, I doze off! It’s infuriating. I’ve suggested to OH that he watches it when I’m out and I’ll catch up after reading the book.

Poppyred Sat 11-Jun-22 09:12:30

Very disappointing ending.

Mine Sat 11-Jun-22 11:30:33

I binge watched it as well...Some parts were quite creepy...Thought it was amazing....Sad ending....

GrannyGravy13 Sat 18-Jun-22 18:48:23

Another who read the book as a teenager, we have watched first episode (totally forgot our friends daughter had a major part)

Obviously it’s different as it’s set in a different era.

bevisp1 Sat 18-Jun-22 19:26:38

Watching the series, I think it’s great, also a little freaky..

MiniMoon Sat 18-Jun-22 22:05:06

I read the book in my final year of secondary school. In fact I think I read all of John Wyndham's books that summer.
My favourite was The Chrysalids too Grandmabatty.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 18-Jun-22 22:57:38

OH and I enjoyed it. He didn’t like the ending, but I did!

vegansrock Sun 19-Jun-22 05:03:13

Wasn’t expecting to like it, but did get into it. I expected it to be set in the 1950s but was glad it was brought up to date. Would recommend.

Greyduster Sun 19-Jun-22 06:21:57

I read the book and saw the first film but don’t have Sky so won’t get to see the new one. I don’t generally like remakes anyway.

MawtheMerrier Sun 19-Jun-22 07:48:29

That reminds me of how we used to chuckle at road signs like these, nudge each other and say watch out for the Triffids! gringrin

Caleo Sun 19-Jun-22 10:11:37

Do you have to have Sky to be able to see it?