Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Sherwood

(140 Posts)
Callistemon21 Mon 13-Jun-22 22:37:39

Did anyone else watch this?

There were so many characters, all linked or related in some way, that it is going to take some sorting out. Five more episodes to find out who is who ?

If it wasn't for the title I wouldn't have realised from most of the accents that it was set in the Midlands, although I did hear someone addressed as "duck".

We spent a lot of time spotting known faces - "Oh, it's him!" "Oh, it's her!" "Where have we seen them before?"

The acting is good.
David Morrissey is excellent.

mrshat Tue 14-Jun-22 15:03:31

I'm enjoying it too. Like you kittylester my DH was not impressed (to say the least) with the reference to "Notts Forest" - what were the producers/writers thinking of? Can't they get the basic facts right??
Talk about taking the whole thing personally!!

kittylester Tue 14-Jun-22 15:20:29

I have lived in Leicestershire for over 50 years and have never once been called mi duck.

HousePlantQueen Tue 14-Jun-22 15:33:05

I thought it was excellent, and like some of you, spent a lot of time trying to remember what we had previously seen actors in, Robert Glenister had DH fooled for a while. Great cast.

westendgirl Tue 14-Jun-22 15:34:08

Loved it.

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Jun-22 16:27:28

kittylester

I have lived in Leicestershire for over 50 years and have never once been called mi duck.

When I said it was a Staffordshire saying I was told it was Nottinghamshire.
As born and bred Staffordshire, I heard it frequently and know I'm home when I hear it again

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Jun-22 16:29:35

Chewbacca

Pretty excited, on the whole Callistemon! But maybe not so chuffed that whole streets were blocked off for days on end to allow filming and residents on those streets were told that they had to move their cars off the road between certain hours. Plus the one and only car park was taken over by huge vans, lorries and filming units so we were impacted pretty heavily. But generally most people were ok about it.

I wondered if it brought back painful memories for some?
Perhaps families of those who lost their lives?

kittylester Tue 14-Jun-22 16:34:57

I don't think chewbacca lives in the Sherwood area but the area where it was filmed.

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Jun-22 17:02:48

kittylester

I don't think chewbacca lives in the Sherwood area but the area where it was filmed.

Oh, got it!

Floradora9 Tue 14-Jun-22 21:22:20

We lived some years ago in a town near to where there was a coal mine which closed down . We heard that 20 years on from the big strike the resentment from those who did strike against the ones who worked on still lingered on . Families were torn apart never to heal.

Casdon Tue 14-Jun-22 21:52:26

I was working at the old Mansfield General Hospital at the time, and that time remains one of my strongest memories, communities and families were so deeply divided, work was very tough indeed because staff had to work together through all the trauma. There was a huge rally in the town which turned really nasty, I can remember the crying miners wives on the phone worried about their husbands and wanting to know if they were in hospital as if it was yesterday.

Pittcity Tue 14-Jun-22 22:00:35

Well, who'd a thunk it????

Jaxjacky Tue 14-Jun-22 22:06:33

Yep, didn’t see that coming.

Casdon Tue 14-Jun-22 22:07:17

Callistemon21

kittylester

When I said it was a Staffordshire saying I was told it was Nottinghamshire.
As born and bred Staffordshire, I heard it frequently and know I'm home when I hear it again

It was said plenty in Mansfield when I worked there - and in Ilkeston, where I worked for a short time too. They also used Duckie for young children.

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Jun-22 22:09:56

Right across the Midlands, then!
Quack ?

Casdon Tue 14-Jun-22 22:15:17

Callistemon21

Right across the Midlands, then!
Quack ?

Yes - wonder how far north you go before it morphs into hen - and where they say chicken/chuck. I worked in Manchester too, and they used chuck. The joys of local dialect.

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Jun-22 22:17:09

My mother used to call me chick (amongst other things).

Urmstongran Tue 14-Jun-22 22:17:48

Just watched the first episode on iPlayer. Stellar cast. Lots of characters to follow!

Kate1949 Tue 14-Jun-22 23:13:46

We like it. I can understand folk who live there getting irritated by accents and expressions used. As a born and bred Brummie, Peaky Blinders used to drive me up the wall.

ginny Wed 15-Jun-22 07:42:13

I’m enjoying it. I don’t know about the accents. I do know that I have to concentrate to keep up. I even had to put down my crochet.

merlotgran Wed 15-Jun-22 07:47:35

My father in law called just about everyone, ‘mi duck.’ They lived half way between Worksop and Sheffield.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-Jun-22 08:48:32

Blimey what an end to episode 2.

I am sort of enjoying it, good cast.

Pittcity Wed 15-Jun-22 09:19:22

We were talking about accents yesterday and the conclusion was that people have moved about so much over the last century that local accents have become diluted. There are few whose family has stayed put, so it's feasible that people could live in Nottingham who have Yorkshire, Glaswegian, Mancunian accents and so on.

lixy Wed 15-Jun-22 09:33:30

How many sleeps until next Monday?!
Brilliant first two episodes, and many twists and turns to come I think.

glammanana Wed 15-Jun-22 10:27:27

Gripping second episode I wonder if anything will turn up between the London Detective & the Headmistress of the local school ?

Yammy Wed 15-Jun-22 10:35:12

kittylester

It's gone now but the old Groby Road Hospital reception desk and a lot of the nurses who worked there.