Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Sherwood

(139 Posts)
Callistemon21 Mon 13-Jun-22 22:37:39

Did anyone else watch this?

There were so many characters, all linked or related in some way, that it is going to take some sorting out. Five more episodes to find out who is who ?

If it wasn't for the title I wouldn't have realised from most of the accents that it was set in the Midlands, although I did hear someone addressed as "duck".

We spent a lot of time spotting known faces - "Oh, it's him!" "Oh, it's her!" "Where have we seen them before?"

The acting is good.
David Morrissey is excellent.

Pittcity Mon 13-Jun-22 22:40:22

Good wasn't it? A stellar cast. Not so much a whodunnit as a whydunnit!

Callistemon21 Mon 13-Jun-22 22:45:14

I like Alun Armstrong
But he played quite a different part to his role in New Tricks!

Doodledog Mon 13-Jun-22 22:47:15

It was excellent.

Apparently it's on tomorrow then on Mondays and Tuesdays for six episodes in total.

I'm going to check if it's on iPlayer and try to binge it after tomorrow's, so I don't forget all the links between the characters in between the weeks.

Callistemon21 Mon 13-Jun-22 22:48:52

so I don't forget all the links between the characters in between the weeks
I need to sort them out!

Deedaa Mon 13-Jun-22 22:54:25

Such a good cast! Much better than I was expecting.

rafichagran Mon 13-Jun-22 22:59:23

Very good, I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to tommorows episode. Good strong cast.

merlotgran Mon 13-Jun-22 23:01:10

Very good. Really enjoyed it.

eazybee Tue 14-Jun-22 06:35:50

I watched it, and agree about the actor spotting; I thought Alun Armstrong had died (sorry)so was pleased to see him acting again. Regrettably, I fell asleep, and was even more confused by having watched a recent episode of Vera also concerning hostilities dating from the minors' strike.

Calendargirl Tue 14-Jun-22 06:47:24

Yes, it was ‘spot the actor’ wasn’t it? Felt a bit muddled over who was who, and what part they had in the drama, but it became clearer by the end. Thought at first David Morrissey and ‘Mrs Lewis’ were the bride’s parents! Look forward to next episode.

Grandmadinosaur Tue 14-Jun-22 07:36:02

I agree that there were a lot of characters to work out but I will stick with it. As someone originally from the East Midlands I felt the only one to get the accent correct was Joanne Frogatt. The use of the word duck did grate on me even though it is common in those parts.

spottybook Tue 14-Jun-22 08:20:58

Thoroughly enjoyed this. However, as an ex-East Midlander the accents weren’t right at all so why do TV programmers think everyone north of Watford speaks with a Yorkshire accent!!! I have cousins who were miners in Notts during that time. They were in different Unions and to this day still don’t speak to each other.

Cabbie21 Tue 14-Jun-22 08:30:36

I live in the East Midlands and I thought “ mi duck” would be heard, not just duck.
I agree that not all accents were quite right.
I haven’t quite sorted out who’s who.
Having said all that, I enjoyed it.

glammanana Tue 14-Jun-22 08:40:31

I really enjoyed it such a good cast of amazing actors.

kittylester Tue 14-Jun-22 08:48:19

DH has taken offence at references to Notts Forest when everyone knows that it is Nottingham Forest.

Mamardoit Tue 14-Jun-22 09:16:20

In Leicester (and the shire) the reds are called Notts Forest. It should of course be mi duck.

Jaxjacky Tue 14-Jun-22 09:38:34

Enjoyed it and will watch again tonight. Being a southerner I can make to comment on accents or dialect.

lixy Tue 14-Jun-22 09:51:04

Enjoyed this very much but, like many others, will need to watch again to get the character web sorted. Looking forward to tonight's episode.

kittylester Tue 14-Jun-22 10:47:42

Mamardoit

In Leicester (and the shire) the reds are called Notts Forest. It should of course be mi duck.

Not in our bit of Leicestershire - he is educating them.

Chewbacca Tue 14-Jun-22 10:51:05

Parts of this were filmed in our village and several of the actors visited a couple of local pubs and eateries. But I don't have a tv so won't be watching it.

maddyone Tue 14-Jun-22 11:00:17

I did my higher education in Nottingham and quite liked being called duck by friendly people. It happened particularly in shops.

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Jun-22 11:35:06

Chewbacca

Parts of this were filmed in our village and several of the actors visited a couple of local pubs and eateries. But I don't have a tv so won't be watching it.

I wonder how local people feel about it all being turned into TV drama?

Charleygirl5 Tue 14-Jun-22 11:41:21

Where I come from in Scotland a female would be called hen which I do not like. It is as bad as duck in my opinion.

Chewbacca Tue 14-Jun-22 11:45:07

Pretty excited, on the whole Callistemon! But maybe not so chuffed that whole streets were blocked off for days on end to allow filming and residents on those streets were told that they had to move their cars off the road between certain hours. Plus the one and only car park was taken over by huge vans, lorries and filming units so we were impacted pretty heavily. But generally most people were ok about it.

Yammy Tue 14-Jun-22 12:02:06

I thought it was very good and reminded me of the angst of the Miner's strike. We were living in the North East at the time and in the thick of it. Then I worked with a woman who came from the area and she told of the animosity that was still there.
I had relations in Notts and could hear the accent wasn't like theirs, though do they ever get an accent right? My part of the world is always given a Yorkshire accent. My name on here has led people to believe I was from somewhere else and even to me it should have been mi duck having lived in Leicester.
I'll be watching the next episode.