Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Happy Birthday Sir Paul ? ??

(64 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Sat 18-Jun-22 09:10:01

Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen (combined ages 152) performing to celebrate Paul’s birthday.
1) How old does that make YOU feel?
2) who was YOUR favourite Beatle?

MawtheMerrier Sat 18-Jun-22 09:10:46

Forgot the pic! Put it down to age ??

Kate1949 Sat 18-Jun-22 09:34:42

Happy birthday Sir Paul. Sorry for chasing you around Birmingham Town Hall. grinblush I have many Beatle stories to tell.
George was my favourite. I loved him. Still do. They were a big part of my life.

merlotgran Sat 18-Jun-22 09:38:28

Paul was my favourite followed closely by George.

All those wonderful songs. Such talent.

Happy birthday.

Kate1949 Sat 18-Jun-22 09:40:04

I can't believe he's 80. Where did the time go?

BlueSapphire Sat 18-Jun-22 09:50:52

Paul has always been my favourite, just so talented, and so many beautiful songs to his name.

henetha Sat 18-Jun-22 09:52:25

Young Paul is 80! (I'm older than him) Gosh. Happy birthday to my favourite Beatle always. smile

kittylester Sat 18-Jun-22 09:54:47

My favourite is Paul. I am so sad I never saw them.

Chestnut Sat 18-Jun-22 09:56:04

Happy birthday Paul. One of my earliest Beatles memories (aged 13) was reading that Paul wanted a guitar shaped swimming pool and I used to dream of us swimming together, after we got married of course. He was my favourite as a youngster but as I got older I preferred John.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 18-Jun-22 09:59:38

Paul was always my favourite. Can’t believe he’s 80.?

SkyBird Sat 18-Jun-22 10:08:15

I loved them all. However Paul has always been my absolute favourite.

Chestnut Sat 18-Jun-22 10:15:21

A picture of the fab four in their Beatle suits.

MrsKen33 Sat 18-Jun-22 10:18:15

Favourite Beatle was George, though I much preferred the Rolling Stones

Kate1949 Sat 18-Jun-22 10:31:33

I'm sitting behind him in this pic.

Chestnut Sat 18-Jun-22 10:39:43

I remember being really shocked in 1964 to see them doing such ordinary things in my Beatle book. These were musical gods, how could they be making cups of tea and doing the ironing? I imagined them living in magical palaces and waited on by fairies.

glammanana Sat 18-Jun-22 10:46:43

Where have all the years gone ?
John was my favourite Beatle followed by Paul.
Liverpool has announced today that Matthew Street will be renamed Paul McCartney Street in his honour to be honest it just doesn't have the same feeling to me after all the times I spent in The Cavern in my younger days watching The Beatles.

Kate1949 Sat 18-Jun-22 10:52:50

Much as I loved them and it's an honour for Paul, I love heading for Matthew Street when we visit Liverpool.

MawtheMerrier Sat 18-Jun-22 10:54:18

Kate1949

I'm sitting behind him in this pic.

I recognised the knees! gringrin

Chestnut Sat 18-Jun-22 11:03:20

I don't like name changes, whether streets or pubs. People know that place historically and changing the name loses some of its character. Young people don't appreciate that, they don't understand the history of a place.

Kate1949 Sat 18-Jun-22 11:11:21

Maw grin

DanniRae Sat 18-Jun-22 12:23:45

Oh I really loved Paul and detested Jane Asher for being his girlfriend. There is no forgiveness in my heart all these years later and I still can't stand her! Years ago when they were performing on a tv programme coming from Teddington Studios my pal and I went over there -I lived really nearby- to see if we could see them. We stood looking through the glass doors and amazingly enough three of the Beatles walked across the foyer right in front of us. Sadly I can never remember which three it was!!
I wish Paul a Very Happy Birthday

Kate1949 Sat 18-Jun-22 12:26:25

I'm the same with Pattie Boyd *Danni"

merlotgran Sat 18-Jun-22 12:30:51

I remember the howls of anguish at school when we realised Jane Asher was Paul’s girlfriend but she was the height of cool - along with Francoise Hardy so we forgave her.

It was Linda who we really didn’t like.

LauraNorderr Sat 18-Jun-22 12:40:16

Happy birthday Sir Paul.
Always loved George the best.
Don’t agree with all this honouring of celebrities thought, knighthoods and street naming, not to mention the airport.
John Lennon Airport fgs. Liverpool has produced far more worthy people, William Roscoe, William Rathbone, Eleanor Rathbone, Hannah Lightbury, Kate Sheppard, John Alexander Brodie, Sir Henry Tate, William Gladstone.
So many wonderful philanthropists, suffragettes, abolitionists.
Yet the airport pays tribute to a musician, albeit talented, who promoted the use of cannabis, made films of himself on the toilet, treated his first wife badly.
Sorry, it’s a pet beef of mine.
Still do love the music though, favourite song is Anna.

Kate1949 Sat 18-Jun-22 13:08:35

My favourite is Hey Jude closely followed by Happy Just To Dance With You purely because it's George singing and the bit of him singing it in A Hard Day's Night is lovely to watch.
I was never keen in Anna (sorry Laura but we all have our favourites). I prefer the songs they wrote themselves. Although in the early days they did some great covers.