Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Steve Wright in the Afternoon.

(71 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 01-Jul-22 18:30:51

Are any Radio 2 listeners as dismayed as I am that Steve Wright in the Afternoon is to be dropped?

It's such a great programme with good music, humour, interesting guests and a genial host who loves to send himself up.

Gardening in the Afternoon just won't be the same. sad

Sara1954 Fri 01-Jul-22 20:32:06

I haven’t heard the show for years. We used to have it on at work until one of our staff members said he literally couldn’t stand it.
I didn’t like it is was cringingly awful, not only him but those dreadful know all co presenters

TillyTrotter Fri 01-Jul-22 20:33:19

When I was working, for the last 12 years I listened to Steve Wright in the background. I remember those years fondly.
I retired, and if it is Steve’s time to retire then good on him.
Thanks Steve for the memories and the music.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 20:33:29

"Fillet of fish, fillet of fish! Give me fish to fillet"....

Visgir1 Fri 01-Jul-22 20:39:52

Good.. He drives me nuts.
Scott Mills.. Really? Can't see him lasting long.
Next get rid of that pillock Jeremy Vine.

But never ever Sir Ken.

Iam64 Fri 01-Jul-22 20:52:28

I like the mix of music, SW doesn’t irritate me too much but in recent months I’ve felt it’s time for a change
If someone has to go why not the awful Jeremy Vine

Chardy Fri 01-Jul-22 20:55:39

I like the 3pm listener choice slot, I will turn that in if I remember, but rarely want to listen to the rest. Strangely I remember finding him irritating in 80s, but was that R1 or R2?
Jeremy Vine definitely off switch
Ken Bruce is passable

Callistemon21 Fri 01-Jul-22 20:57:56

I don't often listen to the radio now but did enjoy SW in the afternoon occasionally when I was driving home after the GD's school run.
I liked it when he played older music.
Much of R2 is more like R1 these days.

Millie22 Fri 01-Jul-22 21:03:12

I won't miss him as he is far too silly. He was funny 30 years ago on radio 1 but not now.

Paddy has been brilliant this week on the lunchtime slot.

mamaa Fri 01-Jul-22 21:03:39

Steve Wright in the afternoon has always been my go to since the 80’s. Hope he joins Greatest Hits where Simon Mayo now resides. ☹️

Callistemon21 Fri 01-Jul-22 21:04:25

MissAdventure

I used to love sir Tel. smile

He's just irreplaceable.
Unique

merlotgran Fri 01-Jul-22 21:06:17

He’s a good impersonator. I love his Donald Trump, Paul McCartney and taking the p**s out of Jeremy Vine riding his bike. ?

Aveline Fri 01-Jul-22 21:09:39

We still laugh when we remember some of the daft stuff Terry got up to. Janet and John, Norah Treadwell's Tan and Touch up emporium, Chuffer Dandridge and so much more. Made the morning commute something to look forward to. Happy days.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 21:12:45

Vitas Guerillitis, in your shorts all nice and white-us... grin
Was it Jimmy Young who followed on from him?
Terry used to give him some stick; "Here he comes, a frail shell of a man, in a bath chair..."

Marsha Fri 01-Jul-22 21:14:21

Oh, Terry Wogan was a legend! Loved him.

Callistemon21 Fri 01-Jul-22 21:16:33

Jimmy Young was a recording artist before becoming a DJ.
His most successful year as a recording artist was 1955, when "Unchained Melody" (from the film Unchained) and "The Man from Laramie" (from the film of the same name) were both number one hits.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 21:19:12

Songs for swingers was one of my favourite little forays Terry did.
Songs for swinging bedbugs - on the sheet where you live.

Aveline Fri 01-Jul-22 21:28:14

Graham Norton was good fun on Saturday mornings and Jonathan Ross was too.
These later DJs are all so bland. No personality.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 21:30:18

I love the Father Ted episode of Graham Norton riverdancing in the caravan. grin

Jane43 Fri 01-Jul-22 22:30:38

There have been mixed messages about this, at first I read he had been doing the show for 24 years and wanted to give it up and now I am reading he has been doing it for 40 years and it wasn't his decision to leave. I think he will still be doing the Sunday morning show though. The only one we listen to on a regular basis now is Ken Bruce, we used to like Johnny Walker before he left because of ill health.

merlotgran Fri 01-Jul-22 23:08:35

I used to love the chemistry between Johnnie Walker and Sally Boazman. They were so funny I’d be driving home from work in tears of laughter.

Zoejory Fri 01-Jul-22 23:17:44

I've always liked Steve. Very funny. I listened mainly when he was on in the afternoon on Radio 1.

Lilypops Fri 01-Jul-22 23:31:03

I like SW in the afternoon, can’t stand Zoe Ball , Jeremy. One , Ken Bruce isok. But I listen to Boom Radio now , much better music 50,s 60,s mainly and the DJ ,s are good too , they don’t waffle on ,

Lilypops Fri 01-Jul-22 23:31:27

Jeremy Vine !!!

Bridie22 Fri 01-Jul-22 23:38:17

My ideal line up,
Loving vernon on the breakfast show, get rid of Jeremy vine...awful person.
Looking forward to Scott Mills in Steve wrights place, 3 hours of Sarah Cox...brilliant followed by Jo whilley,
Oh I forgot keep Ken Bruce were he is please.

FannyCornforth Sat 02-Jul-22 09:16:08

merlotgran

He’s a good impersonator. I love his Donald Trump, Paul McCartney and taking the p**s out of Jeremy Vine riding his bike. ?

That isn’t Steve Wright merlotgran.
I’m a bit surprised that you though it was!
It’s an actor chap called Lewis MacLeod, who also appears on the magnificent Dead Ringers (which is on today, R4. 12.30. Yay!)

I’m delighted that Wright is going. I’m amazed that he’s lasted as long as he has.
Now to get shut of Vine and the atrocious Ball.
I remember Vine saying that he was a better journalist that Nicky Campbell.
I hate this emoji, but ?