Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Steve Wright in the Afternoon.

(71 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 01-Jul-22 18:30:51

Are any Radio 2 listeners as dismayed as I am that Steve Wright in the Afternoon is to be dropped?

It's such a great programme with good music, humour, interesting guests and a genial host who loves to send himself up.

Gardening in the Afternoon just won't be the same. sad

FannyCornforth Sat 02-Jul-22 09:17:43

Lilypops yes. If you like good music of all times and genres then Boom is the way to go.
Better in the week than the weekend though.

Aveline Sat 02-Jul-22 09:26:23

Vine is appalling! So irritating.

merlotgran Sat 02-Jul-22 10:34:14

I did wonder if it might not be SW doing the impersonating but I’ve seen/heard him doing some on TV so gave him the benefit of the doubt.

rockgran Sat 02-Jul-22 11:07:21

I'm ready for a change - just hope there is still some music I recognise!

Jaxjacky Sat 02-Jul-22 11:12:24

Dont mind Scott Mills, Jeremy Vine grates, he’s all about him, best bit on his show is Terry and his allotment on a Friday.
Ken rules though.

kittylester Sat 02-Jul-22 13:24:51

Jane43

There have been mixed messages about this, at first I read he had been doing the show for 24 years and wanted to give it up and now I am reading he has been doing it for 40 years and it wasn't his decision to leave. I think he will still be doing the Sunday morning show though. The only one we listen to on a regular basis now is Ken Bruce, we used to like Johnny Walker before he left because of ill health.

Johnny Walker still does a show on R2. It's called Sounds of the 70s.

NanKate Sat 02-Jul-22 16:03:12

I know I will be heavily criticised for saying this, but I can’t bear to listen to Steve Wright as his pronunciation is so slovenly. It’s the ‘Ello’ at the beginning of his show that starts me off complaining. ?

Rainwashed Sat 02-Jul-22 16:21:09

I have never liked Steve Wright in the afternoon so haven’t listened to it for years. Like a PP I do like Sunday love songs though. I quite like Jeremy Vine, and Johnnie Walker is great. They are the only 2 I listen to on radio 2 nowadays.

tidyskatemum Sat 02-Jul-22 16:50:53

I’ve always detested Steve Wright’s show. I just found him really irritating and his sidekicks even more so. I admit I haven’t actually listened to Radio 2 since they drove out Simon Mayo after pairing him with Jo Whiley and getting rid of his team.

AGAA4 Sat 02-Jul-22 16:55:10

The only one I listen to now is Ken Bruce.

Hellogirl1 Sat 02-Jul-22 17:07:48

Another convert to Boom Radio here, I especially like David Hamilton`s Hotshots.

Nannytopsy Sat 02-Jul-22 17:13:30

I can’t bear Steve Wright and his idiotic drivel! Thank goodness!
But don’t DARE touch Ken Bruce ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 02-Jul-22 19:27:12

I'm not terribly keen on Scott Mills and hearing him when he sits in for Ken Bruce is not a good start to the day. I think it's time for a change in the afternoons - what about a soothing female voice like Lisa Tarbuck?

On our sister site MN it has been suggested that Ken Bruce should be on all day! What about that kittylester? He has, after all, been called the last grown-up on R2 and who could argue with that?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 02-Jul-22 19:29:42

Oh, and the way that Steve Wright reads out listeners' comments beginning, 'love the show Steve' sounds like he is congratulating himself - just not the done thing.

merlotgran Sat 02-Jul-22 19:45:12

They all do it.

Naninavan Sat 02-Jul-22 19:45:44

Lot of love for Ken Bruce in these parts! I switch off Zoe as she's such an over excited sycophantic puppy and it's not an enjoyable listen....Love Lisa Tarbuck....will miss Steve, especialy if he's to be replaced by blandness. Having said that, he's had a really good run and will still have two shows running.....

Kandinsky Sat 02-Jul-22 19:53:16

Absolutely love ❤️ Ken Bruce.
I don’t mind Steve Wright tbh. He’s a reminder of my younger days.

Kandinsky Sat 02-Jul-22 19:55:07

switch off Zoe as she's such an over excited sycophantic puppy and it's not an enjoyable listen

Couldn’t agree more.

Aveline Sat 02-Jul-22 20:06:04

I agree. Can't be bothered with her.

Mapleleaf Sat 02-Jul-22 21:09:19

Personally, I’m glad Steve Wright is calling it a day. I found him incredibly irritating and juvenile in recent years - his format was becoming well past it for me. (I can’t even say it’s an age thing on my part colouring my view because I think he’s older than me). I’ve no idea what his replacement is like, and doubt I’ll find out because I stopped listening to most of radio 2 some time ago because it just did not appeal to me the way it used to do. (I occasionally listen to Ken Bruce, who I like, and some of the Saturday afternoon programmes if they’re on when I’m driving anywhere and I’m tuned into R2, but I don’t have R2 on religiously). I can’t be doing with giddy presenters any more.