Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Steve Wright in the Afternoon.

(70 Posts)
Sago Fri 01-Jul-22 20:06:21

Despite living in England I listen to Irish radio, radio Kerry and RTE.
I can’t stand Ken Bruce or Steve Wright.

Sparklefizz Fri 01-Jul-22 20:04:47

Paddy O'Connell is much better than Jeremy Vine in my opinion.

Zoe Ball babbles on too much. Ken Bruce is fantastic. If he goes, that's it !!!

lixy Fri 01-Jul-22 19:58:21

I'm also looking forward to Scott Mills taking over, though I hope he keeps the Wednesday harpist - so relaxing!

I've really enjoyed listening to Vernon Kay on the Breakfast shoe and Paddy O'Connell standing in for Jeremy Vine too. I flop=flop between Radio 2 and Radio 4, but always listen to Paddy O'C on a Sunday morning.
I wonder what other shake-ups are on the horizon.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 19:57:58

My daughter and I used to listen to him in the afternoons, years ago.
We found him really funny..
"I need an ambliance!"

Grandmadinosaur Fri 01-Jul-22 19:55:01

Waiting for him coming on at 8 Casdon I’m not happy about his move to Saturday night.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 19:47:30

Serves him right for not speaking properly and making people want to scream, I say. smile

Casdon Fri 01-Jul-22 19:47:22

Yes, I like Gary Davies too Grandmadinosaur, we must have similar DJ tastes!

Grandmadinosaur Fri 01-Jul-22 19:45:05

Yes I read that he is to continue doing Sunday Love songs. Sparklefizz I don’t mind him on there funnily enough.

I agree Casdon I’ve loved Vernon on the breakfast show. I haven’t listened to it for a while ( Zoe witters on too much and don’t get me started on Richie) but I have tuned in this week and also when Gary Davies has done the show.

Casdon Fri 01-Jul-22 19:45:04

No, it wasn’t his own choice - he was on the BBC News tonight and said his friend and producer told him a fresh look was needed. He seemed fine about it though.

crazyH Fri 01-Jul-22 19:44:14

I like Steve Wright in the afternoon !!!

henetha Fri 01-Jul-22 19:42:47

Oh yes, Jane43, I hope it was his own choice. I feel better now ..?

Casdon Fri 01-Jul-22 19:40:03

I don’t like him, I’m glad he’s going. Scott Mills isn’t my favourite either, I prefer Vernon Kay, who’s standing in for Zoe this week. I’m with kittylester though, no mucking about with Ken Bruce or I will be very upset.

Sparklefizz Fri 01-Jul-22 19:37:59

I don't like Steve Wright in the Afternoon, but I hope Sunday Morning Lovesongs will carry on, either with or without him.

Jane43 Fri 01-Jul-22 19:33:50

henetha

Oh no! I really like Steve Wright in the afternoon. He plays good music and is friendly and chatty. What's going on?

He’s done the programme for 24 years so I would imagine it’s his choice to leave.

Pudding123 Fri 01-Jul-22 19:33:14

I have been hoping for a few years that Steve Wright would be replaced as he is well past his sell by date .
I cringe when on the odd occasions I have put radio 2 on.Sorry time for a change.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 01-Jul-22 19:33:05

I’m with kitty and marsha I think he is past his sell by date. Not impressed with his replacement though. An immediate switch off when he’s a stand in for Ken Bruce.

henetha Fri 01-Jul-22 19:29:56

Oh no! I really like Steve Wright in the afternoon. He plays good music and is friendly and chatty. What's going on?

Marsha Fri 01-Jul-22 18:59:44

I agree with kittylester - Steve Wright gets on my nerves; I find him really irritating. I actually don’t know Scott Mills, so can’t comment. I gather Sarah Cox is to have an extra hour - I quite like her show, I’m usually driving at that time, and it’s pretty cheery!

kittylester Fri 01-Jul-22 18:34:45

I wascquite chuffed as he gets on my nerves nowadays. But, Scott Mills drives me bonkers.

Just don't muck about with Ken Bruce.

merlotgran Fri 01-Jul-22 18:30:51

Are any Radio 2 listeners as dismayed as I am that Steve Wright in the Afternoon is to be dropped?

It's such a great programme with good music, humour, interesting guests and a genial host who loves to send himself up.

Gardening in the Afternoon just won't be the same. sad