Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

I'm a celebrity.

(304 Posts)
Joseanne Tue 22-Nov-22 22:41:40

Continuation of previous thread .... if this works.

www.gransnet.com/forums/tv_radio_film_arts/1317587-Im-a-celebrity?msgid=29749154

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 16:13:47

Chestnut

Quote:
The most recent series of Almost a celebrity saw unemployable would-be stars abusing crayfish, cockroaches, rats, snakes, eels and crickets. The SPCI unreservedly condemns this unconscionable cruelty, but appreciates that in these cases prosecution may be inappropriate as the people involved are clearly in need of urgent psychiatric help.
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I once ate a crayfish .....

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 16:12:42

Chestnut πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I remember having a lovely bbq with friends at their house; at the end of the evening the host pointed out that all evening a tree frog had been sitting motionless a few inches from my head. I think if it had jumped on me I'd have jumped across the table!

Chestnut Mon 28-Nov-22 16:04:29

Quote:
The most recent series of Almost a celebrity saw unemployable would-be stars abusing crayfish, cockroaches, rats, snakes, eels and crickets. The SPCI unreservedly condemns this unconscionable cruelty, but appreciates that in these cases prosecution may be inappropriate as the people involved are clearly in need of urgent psychiatric help.
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Chestnut Mon 28-Nov-22 15:48:57

Callistemon21

Here we are, the Cockroach Appreciation Society:
insectrights.org/cockroachimmigration.html

OMG I love that! It is exactly my sense of humour. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I remember writing stuff like this when younger. My friend and I loved taking everyday things and weaving a story or a situation around them.

Aveline Mon 28-Nov-22 15:40:33

He seems to have got away with it chestnut

Chestnut Mon 28-Nov-22 15:33:44

Well I commented on all this some time ago, when Matt had to hold his breath several times in the most filthy water and surrounded by pooing animals. It looked disgusting. And also when he was stung by the scorpion and then had to go straight into that doll's house and put his hands in a huge bath full of offal and swarming with flies. Surely having an open wound was a disease risk? Maybe I'm just too hygienic for this programme. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 14:35:42

and they poo ......

Joseanne Mon 28-Nov-22 14:34:19

I hope for Matt's sake that the water in the tank was treated with chemicals so as not to cause him problems. Frogs sharing your water can give you salmonella, and I think they lay their eggs in the water too. We added chlorine to our pool to avoid this, but sadly the creatures used to die from this treatment and we would find them in the filters in the morning. You can't win really, frogs leap at the chance to have a swim!

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 14:23:37

Here we are, the Cockroach Appreciation Society:
insectrights.org/cockroachimmigration.html

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 14:21:27

Chestnut

Fancy rats (the type used for pets) make friendly and intelligent pets and are very different to wild rats. I would hope all animals used in the trials will be specially bred and not gathered in the wild. I realise there is much greater animal cruelty in the world but this is done purely for our entertainment. I won't be watching again.

Of course they're not gathered in the wild.

For a start, they need to ensure that the reptiles, animals and insects are not carrying diseases and are not a threat to humans.

The only toads in Australia are non-indigenous; they are an introduced species which have taken over and caused havoc to native species. They are poisonous.
The "toads" will be frogs.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 14:17:30

Aveline

I saw that and have set the TV to record it. Sounds a bit derivative but hey ho. We need something to counteract the endless football.

BBC News just announced that there will be no news at 6pm this evening because of the football.

How amazing is that - all the world's problems solved, no news at all!!

Aveline Mon 28-Nov-22 14:16:01

I saw that and have set the TV to record it. Sounds a bit derivative but hey ho. We need something to counteract the endless football.

Chestnut Mon 28-Nov-22 14:02:50

For those who are feeling lost now it's ended, head over to BBC1 where a new reality show is starting. I've just opened a thread for The Traitors

Chestnut Mon 28-Nov-22 12:06:22

Fancy rats (the type used for pets) make friendly and intelligent pets and are very different to wild rats. I would hope all animals used in the trials will be specially bred and not gathered in the wild. I realise there is much greater animal cruelty in the world but this is done purely for our entertainment. I won't be watching again.

karmalady Mon 28-Nov-22 12:05:01

Callistemon21

^I hate the animal cruelty so I will never watch it again.^
Don't worry, the insects etc are all collected up and given loving homes afterwards. They are sent to the wildlife park to be part of the foot chain.

even after they have been mashed in a smoothie? Asking for virus transmission as per the wet markets in china

Horrible programme

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 11:53:29

It is their tails, I think. When we looked after a friend's rats once, I was terrified when they leapt up for their food bowl. Yet I loved the hamsters.

FannyCornforth Mon 28-Nov-22 11:44:19

I used to have pet rats.
They are so clever and sweet, like little dogs.

People often say that it’s something to do with their tails. David Attenborough has a phobia of rats.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 11:41:34

What was it about rats that was so terrifying? Many of us or our DC will have had pet hamsters. Was it Jill who said she was just thinking of her pet hamster when the rat was on her neck?

Millie22 Mon 28-Nov-22 11:37:53

Chestnut
I think like you! I couldn't watch the trials last night. I really don't like the use of animals.

I enjoyed the challenges for treats from Kev.

Thank you everyone for a fun and interesting thread.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 11:10:07

Yes, me too.
They need to use more imagination with the trials rather than just using creatures as objects of terror.

Aveline Mon 28-Nov-22 11:05:50

I prefer the trials that don't involve animals or insects. Some of the dingo dollar ones were fun and the Cyclone is just them against the wicked rangers.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 10:48:08

I hate the animal cruelty so I will never watch it again.
Don't worry, the insects etc are all collected up and given loving homes afterwards. They are sent to the wildlife park to be part of the foot chain.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 10:36:55

the toads were trying to get out of the water before they drowned

Were they toads or frogs?
Toads love water and the wet, although they're not great swimmers they can swim. Come home in a deluge and there will be toads all across the road, the garden. I doubt they were toads as they're poisonous.

Frogs love water and have webbed feet.

Chestnut Mon 28-Nov-22 10:30:52

The last three trials were awful! Owen eating that bull's testicle was horrendous and possibly damaging to the teeth. The use of animals was horrible, the toads were trying to get out of the water before they drowned. All very cruel to the animals.

I have never watched it before, I only watched it this time to see how they coped with Matt. I hate the animal cruelty so I will never watch it again.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-Nov-22 07:24:05

I think the so called rugby tackle was just desperation to get all the stars, the cyclone is a tad difficult.

Congratulations to Jill πŸ‘πŸŽ‰