Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Happy Valley

(503 Posts)
Clawdy Mon 02-Jan-23 08:57:14

Anyone watching? Very grim, but compelling as always. Last ever series too.

Ziplok Mon 02-Jan-23 14:47:01

I enjoyed episode 1. Looking forward to the next one. I had no problem hearing what Sarah Lancashire said at all.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-Jan-23 14:51:58

Blinko

^I just have to keep reminding myself that James Norton played Rev Sidney Chambers in Grantchester because he is so utterly chilling as Tommy Lee Royce I might have nightmares about him.^

He also played Dr Stephen Ward (rather brilliantly, I thought) in last year's drama about the Profumo scandal.

Oh, I missed that Blinko

Now, the PE teacher, I'm still thinking how we should deal with him.
Pushing him off a cliff is far too quick.

Blinko Mon 02-Jan-23 15:00:11

Callistemon you're right there re the PE teacher. Some kind of public humiliation seems appropriate. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

TerriBull Mon 02-Jan-23 15:11:53

Compulsive viewing, it's been a long lapse in between episodes.

The PE Teacher should be made to do a 100 bench presses with dumb bells followed by a session of hot yoga until he's sweated out all his toxicity before be comes home to that poor wife of his shock

Tommy Lee Royce's hair is awful he looks like an evil version of the blue eyed Jesus that my school friend's Irish parents had hanging in their living room shock It's hard to think of him in McMafia after seeing him in Happy Valley last night.

Erica23 Mon 02-Jan-23 15:34:10

I’ve recorded it. Does anyone know where I can read what happened in the previous series, I’m can’t remember and think I may well be lost when I watch it 😂

Calendargirl Mon 02-Jan-23 15:37:58

Erica23

I’ve recorded it. Does anyone know where I can read what happened in the previous series, I’m can’t remember and think I may well be lost when I watch it 😂

Just Google ‘Happy Valley’, Wikipedia will give a run down of previous series.

Jaxjacky Mon 02-Jan-23 15:48:08

Loved it, great viewing, no problem with the sound or accent from this southerner.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-Jan-23 15:53:25

The PE Teacher should be made to do a 100 bench presses with dumb bells followed by a session of hot yoga until he's sweated out all his toxicity before be comes home to that poor wife of his shock

You're too kind, Terribull

Washerwoman Mon 02-Jan-23 16:57:05

Great first episode.DH and I rewatched the first two series before Xmas and glad as all the characters still in my mind.Sarah Lancashire is brilliant and I loved the way she identified the body at the resevoir to the patronising SOCOs.And maybe because I live very near the locations I'm not having a problem with the dialect. She speaks my language!

Erica23 Mon 02-Jan-23 17:41:15

Thank you Calendargirl never thought of that.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 02-Jan-23 17:48:24

We could dangle him over the edge by his ankles first Callistemon21 if you think that would be more fitting.

I wonder if Tommy could suffer a fatal fall through the roof of a derelict warehouse or mill.

I think this programme is bringing out a dark side to us.

Farzanah Mon 02-Jan-23 17:57:27

Sarah Lancashire is great.
When I first lived in Yorkshire I had difficulty understanding the accent, was like a foreign language to me, but am reasonably fluent now! Sadly no longer there.

dragonfly46 Mon 02-Jan-23 18:04:50

Not a northern thing as I am a Yorkshire girl!

Urmstongran Mon 02-Jan-23 18:07:25

I’m with volver - so many interesting questions!

I’ve never watched HV before & thought that after 7y absence I’ll just “pick it up” as it goes along. I think it’s great, very gripping. I may well have to start from the beginning as backfill and run in tandem it’s so good!

Kamiso Mon 02-Jan-23 18:07:33

My OH was still working, often at night, when the last series was on. First time I’ve ever been frightened to go up to bed.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 02-Jan-23 18:23:18

Great writing, great acting - worth my TV licence on this programme alone. Yes, Kamiso, the last series gripped us so much that my daughter had to watch the denouement from the stairs in the hall.....she was 25 at the time

Iam64 Mon 02-Jan-23 18:51:59

I rewatched series 2 in preparation.
The first episode last night was fantastic. Tommy with his Jesus hair cut is even more terrifying.
Volver - thanks, they’re my questions as well.

Sarah Lancashire is simply brilliant. I’m over the pennies in Lancashire but I understand every word she speaks. She’s the Serg every young pc and very local police station depends on. Recognising the teeth in a skeleton because he bit her when she arrested him 👍🏻

Sally Wainwright is a brilliant writer and good actors work with her
Fabulous

Urmstongran Mon 02-Jan-23 19:05:54

This was an interesting read.
2 days ago from The Guardian.

www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/dec/31/siobhan-finneran-happy-valley-interview-sarah-lancashire

Callistemon21 Mon 02-Jan-23 20:01:49

lovebeigecardigans1955

We could dangle him over the edge by his ankles first Callistemon21 if you think that would be more fitting.

I wonder if Tommy could suffer a fatal fall through the roof of a derelict warehouse or mill.

I think this programme is bringing out a dark side to us.

Can we predict?

Tommy is released from prison, hears the PE teacher being nasty and abusive to Ryan and hits him. PE teacher bashes his head on the goalpost and dies.

Callistemon21 Mon 02-Jan-23 20:04:02

I wonder if Tommy could suffer a fatal fall through the roof of a derelict warehouse or mill
Not until the last episode!

volver Mon 02-Jan-23 20:04:25

Urmstongran

I’m with volver - so many interesting questions!

I’ve never watched HV before & thought that after 7y absence I’ll just “pick it up” as it goes along. I think it’s great, very gripping. I may well have to start from the beginning as backfill and run in tandem it’s so good!

Oh, do go back and catch up Urmstongran - you will get so much more out of it!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 02-Jan-23 20:14:40

Just love it especially the humour. I laughed myself silly about yoga being dangerous

Callistemon21 Mon 02-Jan-23 20:22:16

Barmeyoldbat

Just love it especially the humour. I laughed myself silly about yoga being dangerous

Oh, but it can be 😂

Urmstongran Mon 02-Jan-23 20:25:28

Actually I will volver. Starting now! Himself is washing up (I cook) so why not? What else am I doing?
Nowt.
I bet Sarah Lancashire & others will look so much younger - as we all will have done back then!

Off I pop ... 📺

volver Mon 02-Jan-23 20:32:15

I think Sarah Lancashire looks about he same as she does now! Ryan, however...

There is a scene in the last episode of series 2 which may be the best scene in TV drama ever. No spoilers. wink