Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Fawlty Towers.

(40 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 08-Feb-23 18:31:34

The famous 70’s sitcom to be rebooted, courtesy of John Cleese and his daughter Camilla.

He must be running short of cash again.

Best left as a happy memory.

His last role, in the dire ‘Hold The Sunset’, is best forgotten.

Pittcity Wed 08-Feb-23 18:35:42

Why?
The original was perfect as it was. Leave well alone.

BlueBelle Wed 08-Feb-23 18:38:04

Never liked it, I don’t like John Cleese one bit so won’t be watching any rehashed programmes

GrannyGravy13 Wed 08-Feb-23 18:39:10

Loved Fawlty Towers, not sure about a reboot though.

henetha Wed 08-Feb-23 18:43:01

One of my favourite programmes ever, but I think it's best to let it lie in the past.

Oldwoman70 Wed 08-Feb-23 18:48:51

BlueBelle

Never liked it, I don’t like John Cleese one bit so won’t be watching any rehashed programmes

Glad I am not the only one - never understood why people think Cleese is funny.

Grandmabatty Wed 08-Feb-23 18:50:34

I was never keen on Fawlty Towers and, looked at through modern eyes, there's a lot that was questionable. I doubt it'll be made.

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Feb-23 18:51:35

He's apparently making it with his daughter

lemsip Wed 08-Feb-23 18:53:21

all about making money of course.. not a good idea...when I see clips of old comedies I once laughed at back in the day, they don't do it for me these and I wonder what I found funny

'some mothers do 'ave em', for instance used to roll up watching that but it was on recently and I didn't find it funny anymore.

Lexisgranny Wed 08-Feb-23 18:58:32

Enjoyed Fawlty Towers, although not a fan of John Cleese. This programme was always heralded as a prime example of how it was best to leave the audience wanting more, rather than becoming stale. I think it would have been best left as a good memory.p for those of us who enjoyed it.

J52 Wed 08-Feb-23 19:13:10

Sounds a bit like a hotel version of One Foot in the Grave.
I’d suggest forgetting about it.

HousePlantQueen Wed 08-Feb-23 19:21:07

John Cleese is turning into the reactionary, anti-woke old man that he used to mock when he was young, avante garde, and funny. He is now a rather bitter man, blaming society for everything that has gone wrong with his life (his marriages, chiefly), and is being supported in his silly crusade by people like Piers Morgan. Yes, comedy has changed, and frankly mostly for the better, although it is subjective. I enjoyed Faulty Towers, it was ok, not quite as much a national treasure as Cleese would like to think. He is liable to make a fool of himself, but that is his prerogative, and despite what he says, it is generally a free country and nobody will stop him.

Smileless2012 Wed 08-Feb-23 19:25:21

Didn't like it first time around, I just never found it funnyhmm.

maddyone Wed 08-Feb-23 19:38:25

I liked it but not sure that I’ll like it again remade. Comedy is of it’s time so what is funny in one decade is not necessarily going to be funny in another.

Blondiescot Wed 08-Feb-23 19:41:20

Pittcity

Why?
The original was perfect as it was. Leave well alone.

Totally agree. There are some programmes which were just perfect they were they were, and will never be bettered. Fawlty Towers was one of them. Blackadder another.

Kandinsky Wed 08-Feb-23 19:41:56

Brilliantly in its day - but bringing it back after all these years will be a big mistake.

MerylStreep Wed 08-Feb-23 19:45:20

If he wants to make it in more or less the same format as before it won’t be shown on terrestrial tv, it will be on a streaming platform.

Sparklefizz Wed 08-Feb-23 19:47:48

It's too dated. It would be a big mistake to bring it back.

Callistemon21 Wed 08-Feb-23 20:35:52

It was of it's time.
Best not revisited.

Callistemon21 Wed 08-Feb-23 20:36:02

Its

Iam64 Wed 08-Feb-23 20:46:07

I enjoyed it at the time but I don’t see how Basil Faulty’s character could be entertaining now. I agree with Callistemon, leave it in the past.
HousePlantQueen sums Cleese up well. He’s a bitter man, he’s not had a long lasting successful marriage and has often complained he’s no money because of ex-wives. He stopped being funny a long time ago.

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Feb-23 20:54:51

He may always have been this type of person of course...
but I loved Faulty Towers in its day.
It was of its time.

If they can do something as new now as that was then - well good luck.
I'm not holding my breath though!

NotAGran55 Wed 08-Feb-23 21:07:40

An absolute classic comedy show. Part of the genius was the fact that there was only 12 episodes. It needs to stay in the past.

Doodledog Wed 08-Feb-23 21:26:46

NotAGran55

An absolute classic comedy show. Part of the genius was the fact that there was only 12 episodes. It needs to stay in the past.

Agreed. It was of its time, and funny for the 70s. Jokes about foreigners, women, people who don't speak English, the disabled and race aren't funny for the 2020s and without them it won't be the same sitcom.

Also, how can an 84 year old Cleese be running the hotel?

Grammaretto Wed 08-Feb-23 21:48:20

I loved every episode. It was brilliant but yes why try to revive it?