Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The piano

(57 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Wed 15-Feb-23 22:04:10

Anybody else just throughly enjoyed this wonderful hour of TV, utterly magical!

Washerwoman Mon 20-Mar-23 13:57:12

Only just started this prompted by the thread on GN otherwise probably would have missed it.So thanks as I'm loving it so far.So many lovely talented people.

annsixty Mon 20-Mar-23 13:09:54

I only saw Lucy playing on catching up on Gogglebox last evening, she was fantastic but did anyone else find it a very uncomfortable watch.
She is described as neurodivergent and I wonder if she is comfortable being in the public eye.
She puts her fingers in her ears so as not to hear the applause.
So sad I thought.

Frogs Sun 19-Mar-23 17:17:28

merlotgran

MawtheMerrier

The Festival Hall concert.
Lucy OMG - beyond "moving" 😍

I settled down to watch it yesterday afternoon but had an unexpected phone call. Thankfully it did save me from the God awful racket/assault from Mica and Lang Lang at the beginning.

I’ll give it another go later as I’m sure the contestants will be a far better watch.

I love to watch Mika sing - but seems he’s not to everyone’s taste 😆

singingnutty Sun 19-Mar-23 15:45:38

Watched the Concert last night on catch up. Very emotional indeed - even DH, who had been rather unimpressed by the previous programmes leading up to this, was moved. It was quite a risk, I would think, for the programme makers to depend on each of these 4 people being able to cope with performing at the concert. However, it worked, and it was a triumph. I can't imagine what it must have been like to have been in the audience - I would have cried buckets I think. They were all brilliant, but agree that Lucy was the best of all.

Dianehillbilly1957 Sun 19-Mar-23 14:54:31

Not my normal type of TV watch, but to be honest it drew me in, so many amazingly talented normal everyday people, their talent and their stories brought tears to my eyes, it was very emotional. I hope though this isn't going to be ongoing and be done to death, it was a great one off.

spabbygirl Sun 19-Mar-23 14:14:39

I loved this programme, I didn't mind the less good bits cos it's nice to have things less perfect sometimes. If there was a collection of these players I'd buy it. I hope for more next year

rowyn Sun 19-Mar-23 13:41:46

Amazing, mind boggling, emotional etc etc. Had never heard of the Amber Trust - think it's London based. I know there will be a lot of charities who will use music to enrich the lives of those in need, but this one must be VERY special. We need more.
I've donated - here's the link if anyone else wants to do the same. ambertrust.org/donate-now/

Judy54 Sun 19-Mar-23 13:35:29

It was fantastic and mesmerising in equal measure. I do hope that another series is made.

LuckyFour Sun 19-Mar-23 13:33:13

I thought the whole thing was excellent. A wide range of people and styles of music, it's wonderful to hear live music.

JaneJudge Sun 19-Mar-23 12:53:30

I LOVED it too. Lucy was amazing and yes, you absolutely felt the emotion. It really made me think about how we underestimate people with learning disabilities and autism. I wondered what unlocked potential people have, that we may take for granted what people can acheive - although Lucy must be a savant?

silvercollie Sun 19-Mar-23 12:49:53

~Mini Moon It as Lucy the blind 14 year that won. But the three lads are keeping in touch and working on new projects,

Diggingdoris Sun 19-Mar-23 12:13:07

Lucy played my favourite classical piece and I was moved to sobbing tears watching her. She's amazing!

CoolCoco Fri 17-Mar-23 12:44:59

I love Lang Lang

NanaDana Fri 17-Mar-23 12:15:57

Mini Moon. SPOILER ALERT!!! Jay certainly won his heat, but did not win the final. The clear winner at the Festival Hall was Lucy, who with a memorable performance of Debussy's Arabesque, brought the house down and received a heartfelt standing ovation. I've loved the series. A real, emotional roller-coaster.

Smileless2012 Fri 17-Mar-23 11:19:34

They are merlotgran, you wont be disappointed.

merlotgran Fri 17-Mar-23 11:18:36

MawtheMerrier

I settled down to watch it yesterday afternoon but had an unexpected phone call. Thankfully it did save me from the God awful racket/assault from Mica and Lang Lang at the beginning.

I’ll give it another go later as I’m sure the contestants will be a far better watch.

grannyactivist Thu 16-Mar-23 03:35:43

Lucy is amazing, but what an amazing man Daniel Bath, her piano teacher is - he’s been teaching her since she was three years old through an organisation called the Amber Trust. I hope the link below works, it gives an insight into Daniel’s work with Lucy.

m.facebook.com/watch/?v=926998468152156&paipv=0&eav=Afa2zykZSf-KgcQOzX0_ISjGesLx_xQL8ynx7EdvLRL9COv2UsF4NTVQtd0oc6QAwdw&_rdr

Greendress Thu 16-Mar-23 01:20:04

Just all so wonderful and especially Lucy. Thinking that King Charles should ask her to play as part of the Coronation ceremonies.

Sweetpeasue Wed 15-Mar-23 22:43:00

The power of music to help these people with their individual challenges and sufferings. Extraordinary. All brilliant though Lucy brought so much love and she was amazing.

Smileless2012 Wed 15-Mar-23 22:30:17

WOW you've summed up just how I felt YorkLady; simply amazing.

YorkLady Wed 15-Mar-23 22:23:17

I’ve never felt so much joy, happiness and emotion watching a tv programme . Cried so much at the final performances.
This has been the best tv of the year! I want to watch it all again!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-Mar-23 22:15:28

Brilliant programme.

Lucy was outstanding 👏👏👏

ixion Wed 15-Mar-23 22:02:10

Do we actually know what they are looking for?
Lucy is so different to the three others in style.

lemsip Wed 15-Mar-23 22:01:34

yes, I'm watching too, so moving.

MawtheMerrier Wed 15-Mar-23 21:51:25