Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Endeavour

(130 Posts)
mamaa Wed 22-Feb-23 22:55:11

For those of us who have enjoyed this show and might not be aware that the final series consisting of 2 two hourly episodes is due to be shown with episode 1 this coming Sunday 26th Feb, and the final episode the following Sunday, 5th March.
Yet another great series coming to an end…

absolutedisc Mon 10-Apr-23 08:43:06

it and thinks many boeis hidden in the grounds, and they were discovered in the most recent episode, along with a brutal intervention by cops from that section beating up a piece of Endeavour.<a href="https://drifthunters2.io">drift hunters</a>

Callistemon21 Fri 17-Mar-23 09:45:22

merlotgran

Never mind the accents. It was a nice change to see Anton Lesser looking a bit cool.

Did you see him in the recent BBC series Better?
A complete contrast to his role in Endeavour.

He always has a certain je ne sais quo though 😀

Calendargirl Fri 17-Mar-23 07:10:11

I thought ‘Joan’s’ face looked a bit red in real life, as well as Kevin Whateley’s .

But ‘Win’ looked far more attractive than her character.

As for lovely Roger Allam, a bit portly, but still ❤️

merlotgran Fri 17-Mar-23 00:23:41

Never mind the accents. It was a nice change to see Anton Lesser looking a bit cool.

Eloethan Thu 16-Mar-23 23:16:21

Why was it disappointing to hear Shaun Evans with a different accent from the one he used in Endeavour? I also think it's rather rude to say you hate a particular accent. No wonder people with regional accents feel they are discriminated against.

Callistemon21 Thu 16-Mar-23 22:38:08

It was surprising, I admit.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 16-Mar-23 22:22:16

I know but it really took the shine off. Such a disappointment.

Callistemon21 Thu 16-Mar-23 22:10:04

Germanshepherdsmum

Watched the documentary tonight and really wish I hadn’t. I was so disappointed with Sean’s accent - apologies to all who have or like a Liverpudlian accent, but I hate it. Disappointed to hear the real ‘Max’ too. This will take the shine off watching episodes again, for me.

They're actors, dahling!!

Washerwoman Thu 16-Mar-23 21:38:21

I love Sean's accent.It's a very mild Scouse one.But then DD lives in Liverpool and I've always liked the city and the dialect.And the humour.
Interesting how strong an Scottish accent Sara Vickers (Joan) has
Just shows how good and versatile the actors are.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 16-Mar-23 20:51:53

Watched the documentary tonight and really wish I hadn’t. I was so disappointed with Sean’s accent - apologies to all who have or like a Liverpudlian accent, but I hate it. Disappointed to hear the real ‘Max’ too. This will take the shine off watching episodes again, for me.

Calendargirl Thu 16-Mar-23 12:25:20

I’ve read all the Morse books, and have to say, John Thaw made him a much nicer individual than he appeared in the books.

His lovely flirtatious manner (on tv) came across as a bit creepy in print, and not very fanciable, apart from his piercing blue eyes.

And Lewis was a rather stolid, older Welshman, nothing like Kevin Whateley.

Esmay Thu 16-Mar-23 12:07:01

Totally brilliant idea from loopylou !

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 16-Mar-23 11:45:43

I’m looking forward to it Grey.

Well that’s an idea ‘loopy’. What happened to his half sister Joyce?

Greyduster Thu 16-Mar-23 11:24:47

GSM I needed a tissue at the end of the documentary. It was unexpectedly moving.

loopyloo Thu 16-Mar-23 11:22:06

Could they write a series that has a child of Morse's from one of his liaisons, who he did not know about who joins the police force. ?? Perhaps a woman?
Then we could go on having wonderful shots of the city and Shaun Evans as grandfather.
Perhaps I should write a proposal. ?Synopsys?

NanKate Thu 16-Mar-23 11:17:25

Add me to the list Sparklefizz 👍

Sparklefizz Thu 16-Mar-23 11:07:11

I have gone back to the first series, episode 1, and had forgotten how bullied Endeavour was at the beginning. Shaun Evans as Endeavour is my not-so-secret-or-guilty crush blush

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 16-Mar-23 10:56:17

I waited to read this thread until I had watched the last episode. I will watch the documentary tonight.

A brilliant series, so well written and acted and I’m sad that there won’t be another. A clever drawing together of threads and a very fitting ending.

Btw the young policeman who was shot was George Fancy.

Greyduster Thu 16-Mar-23 08:47:52

We spent a weekend in Oxford a few years ago and absolutely fell in love with the place. Who doesn’t? We had lunch in the White Horse; it was packed. Interesting about the Hitler connection, NanKate. Thank God he didn’t!

NanKate Thu 16-Mar-23 07:02:35

Wyllow yes I so agree with your comments.

Shaun Evans is very similar to a lovely boyfriend I had in those times and is still a friend. One of the locations is a tiny pub down a number of alleyways that we were taken to by an old friend whose father was a professor during the 40s/50s. She told us that Oxford was never bombed because Hitler had singled out Oxford as the city he was going to live in when he visited England, when he won the War !!

Wyllow3 Wed 15-Mar-23 22:50:04

Maybe ill?

NanKate I think thats a major appeal - its our youth, and we spot social and cultural things, and over the series they have recorded these very well as part of plots.

I dont know Oxford tho, it would be lovely to have taken in a place I was familiar with.

Delila Wed 15-Mar-23 22:45:11

Sorry to see “Lewis” looking rather frail in the documentary.

NanKate Wed 15-Mar-23 21:20:21

Fabulous end to a brilliant series. Quite a bit of mopping up of tears. 🥲

I seemed to be reliving my early 20s as I could relate to the fashions and life in the late 60s early 70s. I felt so nostalgic and emotional. I know Oxford well and recognised so many places.

Will watch the documentary tomorrow.

Greyduster Wed 15-Mar-23 15:10:24

I didn’t know he had both directed and starred in some episodes. A man of many talents.

Eloethan Tue 14-Mar-23 23:01:11

I've just watched it. I would never have guessed Shaun Evans had a different accent from the one he used in Endeavour. It was a most enjoyable documentary and there seemed to be a very genuine camaraderie within the cast and a touch of sadness to see the end of Endeavour.