Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

David Attenborough suppressed

(49 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 10-Mar-23 15:27:52

What do you think of the BBC's decision not to broadcast one episode of David Attenborough's new (and probably last) series Wild Isles on the grounds that it might upset right-wing pressure groups? The particular episode is about the destruction of wildlife by industrial farming, fishing and forestry, and the prospects of rewilding.

It this the same BBC that once successfully challenged the establishment with programmes like That Was The Week That Was and Cathy Come Home? And <shudder> Threads? Now being bullied into suppressing programming by a 96-year-old national treasure?

I despair sometimes. I shouldn't feel this way but from time to time I can't help being glad that the greater part of my life is behind me and, unlike my daughter and her generation and those that come after, I won't have to have the full experience of the shitstorm we are placidly sliding into.

I think David Attenborough should be given a state funeral when he dies. He's the epitome of my idea of a non-executive president of a British republic.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 10-Mar-23 15:28:19

Sorry, forgot the link.

www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/10/david-attenborough-bbc-wild-isles-episode-rightwing-backlash-fears

Blossoming Fri 10-Mar-23 16:06:32

I think it’s shocking. The BBC is blatantly biased, are they worried about the licence fee?

Chardy Fri 10-Mar-23 16:18:28

I'm not surprised BBC suppress things. But I am surprised BBC suppress David Attenborough.

Fleurpepper Fri 10-Mar-23 16:21:09

Anyone any good at starting a petition- I am sure it would get 100s of 1000s to sign.

Luckygirl3 Fri 10-Mar-23 16:27:35

It is because the BEEB's funding is under review so the thought police are out in force. What price democracy?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 16:28:36

That has completely ruined my day.

I was so looking forward to it.

Things are going from bad to worse. 🤬

Zoejory Fri 10-Mar-23 16:29:06

I am neither right wing nor left wing. But I always thought that the BBC was slightly more left than right. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'll be interested to hear if the Beeb says anything about this. It sounds very strange that they'd opt not to show it. Has DA commented on the decision?

The press can and do print stories to suit their readership.

It was all over the press that Jeremy Clarkson had been sacked from Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Which wasn't true. ITV had to issue a statement.

Also articles stating that Amazon weren't renewing his brilliant farm show. That wasn't true either.

Zoejory Fri 10-Mar-23 16:31:34

I should have read the article before I posted!

The episode will be available on Iplayer.

I'm sure most of us have access to that.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 16:33:49

Zoejory

I should have read the article before I posted!

The episode will be available on Iplayer.

I'm sure most of us have access to that.

🙂 well that is good news but the criticism still stands.

What i# the matter with the BBC ?

Zoejory Fri 10-Mar-23 16:39:36

I agree, WW2. No clue why they think terrestrial TV viewers can't cope.

Very odd decision.

Hetty58 Fri 10-Mar-23 16:45:35

Don't despair, LadyHonoriaDedlock, I think it will backfire, rather loudly - if they fail to show episode six. They will have to mention it's presence on iPlayer - and won't that attract a lot of attention, questions and controversy? It will turn around and bite them on the backside!

We all know there's a simply ridiculous amount of pro-farming stuff on (all seen through rose-coloured glasses) and this episode provides some balance by highlighting the destruction/pollution/suffering caused, the awful environmental consequences. They'll regret calling attention to it - so all is well!

Sarah75 Fri 10-Mar-23 16:57:22

In the Guardian article there is rather an ageist comment!

she hoped a young audience would be able to find the film, as they are used to streaming on Player rather than watching a broadcast

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 17:01:55

It seems to me that the BBC has totally lost the plot.

It has never before got so involved in such controversy.

What with Attenborough, Lineker and that wretched woman on QT it is getting ridiculous.

M0nica Fri 10-Mar-23 17:10:15

the destruction of wildlife by industrial farming, fishing and forestry, and the prospects of rewilding.

This is probably the most important and significant episode in the whole series. The damage that is being done to the environment by our decisions about the food we demand, and what and how we consume it.

This is neither a right wing nor left wing issue, it is a personal issue for every single one of us. We need to face up to the damage we are doing to our own environement, not directly but the way we shop the way we eat and the way we waste food.

Not to broadcast this episode on terrestrial tv, shows how the BBC is infiltrated by right wing fifth columnists.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 10-Mar-23 17:18:57

I see that Gary Lineker has finally been forced out now. A win for the bullies then.

Although I'm sure he'll get a more lucrative contract elsewhere.

Siope Fri 10-Mar-23 17:53:41

The BBC appear to be colluding in their own demise.

Whatever the BBC do to appease the right-wing fruitloops, it will never be enough. The far right are ideologically opposed to the very idea of a public broadcaster, and will continue to find ways to attack and diminish it.

And now, many of those who are natural supporters of public broadcasting will find it harder to defend the BBC.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 18:11:55

Culture Wars Latest: Censoring UK’s most trusted voice on nature is shocking dereliction of BBC’s duty to public service broadcasting. It CANNOT allow truth on nature depletion to be victim in cynical culture wars stoked by populist Ministers

Caroline Lucas

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Mar-23 18:14:12

In 2011, Jeremy Clarkson called for striking workers to be "shot in front of their families". He continued to present Top Gear for another four years.

Fleurpepper Fri 10-Mar-23 18:18:16

Ah but was just 'in jest' hey!

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 10-Mar-23 18:45:49

Woz just da bantz innit

Granmarderby10 Fri 10-Mar-23 19:27:06

I don’t like it one bit. Was just about to renew my tv license 🤔
Whitewavemark2 who is “that wretched woman” on Question Time.. do you mean Fiona Bruce! What’s she done now?

Fleurpepper Fri 10-Mar-23 19:29:26

She said last night on Question Time that Stanley had only broken his wife's nose once (so that's OK then!).

Wyllow3 Fri 10-Mar-23 19:36:17

Luckygirl3

It is because the BEEB's funding is under review so the thought police are out in force. What price democracy?

Indeed.

Oreo Fri 10-Mar-23 22:13:25

Read the other thread on this subject before getting outraged.