Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

I KnowWhere the Crawdads Sing

(42 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 11-Mar-23 15:23:27

I watched the film last night and enjoyed it but have never read the book. Is it true to the original story and are the characters as you imagined them?

Fleurpepper Sat 11-Mar-23 15:24:14

Saw the film last year and it was so beautiful and moving. And never saw the end coming either.

Greenfinch Sat 11-Mar-23 15:24:51

Sorry, got the title a bit wrong! Too many words!

Greenfinch Sat 11-Mar-23 15:25:44

Yes the ending took me by surprise too.

Fleurpepper Sat 11-Mar-23 15:26:02

Crawdogs, btw.

Greenfinch Sat 11-Mar-23 15:29:08

confused

Tortoiselover Sat 11-Mar-23 15:35:54

I read the book first then watched the film which was very true to the book, I thought. The twist at the end is unexpected.

Sarah75 Sat 11-Mar-23 15:57:42

Fleurpepper

Crawdogs, btw.

???

Sarah75 Sat 11-Mar-23 15:59:25

I loved both the book and the film, though I thought the film was very sanitised and gave little idea of the smells and dirt in the swamps.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Mar-23 16:00:37

I loved this film went with my best friend and she hated it

I loved the ending too haven’t read the book

Fleurpepper Sat 11-Mar-23 16:02:31

Sarah75

Fleurpepper

Crawdogs, btw.

???

Sincere apologies- just checked our CineClub list for 2022 season, and it said Crawdogs.

Oreo Sat 11-Mar-23 16:33:10

I read the book last year and thought it was soooo good, haven’t seen the film but the book is heart wrenching.

garnet25 Sat 11-Mar-23 16:39:24

I adored the book but was in two minds about watching the film. Proably will now.

seadragon Sat 11-Mar-23 16:47:08

DH recommended the book to me having heard it read on Radio 4. We went to see the film together and sat in tears at the end along with several other couples of similar vintage (mid 70's. Both felt it was true to the spirit of the original and were not put out one iota by the beautiful clothes and cleanliness. However there is much controversy over the book and the author:https://www.google.com/search?q=i+know+where+the+crawdads+sing&rlz=1C5CHFA_enGB790GB790&oq=I+know+wh&aqs=chrome.1.69i59l2j0i131i433i512j69i57j46i512j0i512j46i512j0i512j46i512l2.7419j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Patsy70 Sat 11-Mar-23 19:52:15

We’ve read the book, along with many of our family and friends, and loved it. Just about to have a late dinner (home cooked chicken curry) and will be watching the film. What a lovely Saturday night! 😊

MerylStreep Sat 11-Mar-23 20:02:07

garnet25

I adored the book but was in two minds about watching the film. Proably will now.

I didn’t want to watch the film because I looooved the book so much, but I’m glad I did.
I wish the film had shown more of her younger life.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Mar-23 20:27:34

This book is in my top ten reads, absolutely got lost in it.

I have been putting off watching the film as I do not want to be disappointed I have such a strong vision in my mind what the characters and environment look like.

Luckygirl3 Sat 11-Mar-23 20:33:37

Here is a review I did of the book for a local mag .......

Don't read on if you do not want to know anything about the plot!!! ...

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
Kya Clark is born into a troubled family in post-war North Carolina, where they live in a glorified hut on the local marsh. Her father, once rich, fell on hard times and brought his wife and children to this isolated place, where family life falls apart under the influence of his drinking and violence, and over time they all leave, except Kya who is left behind to raise herself from a very young child. Dodging the education department officials, she earns her keep fishing for mussels and selling these on to “Jumpin’”, a black man who, shunned by the village, runs a small local shop selling petrol for the boats that use the lagoons and marshes, and basic food requirements. Kya too is shunned by the villagers, labelled the Marsh Girl, and treated with suspicion.
Her only friend is local boy Tate Walker, who coaxes her into conversation with gifts of feathers – a perfect lure for nature-loving Kya. Their paths diverge when he leaves for college and Kya is left as prey for the local buck, Chase Andrews.
Fast forward to the 1960s and Chase’s body is found at the base of an abandoned fire tower in the swamp. Kya is the sheriff’s first and only suspect.
The book is full of stereotypes: poor black families and rich middle class narrow-minded upright citizens who protect their children from the dangers of any fleeting association with the Marsh Girl. But the overwhelming redeeming feature of the book is the lyrical description of the marsh and its wildlife which peppers this novel. The author is herself a renowned naturalist, zoologist and conservationist who spent a large part of her life in near or true wildernesses both in America and in Africa where she and her husband worked to conserve lion and elephant habitats – the parallels with her protagonist are clear. And her love of the wild shines through the character of Kya. Owens’ story is somewhat marred by the fact that she and her (now estranged) husband are still wanted in Zambia for the alleged murder of a poacher.
Kya, having been steeped in the life of the marsh and isolated from human company, acquires her life lessons from the world of nature around her: “Most of what she knew, she'd learned from the wild. Nature had nurtured, tutored, and protected her when no one else would.” But it was not always a very helpful learning ground for establishing relationships with her fellow humans: “Female fireflies draw in strange males with dishonest signals and eat them; mantis females devour their own mates. Female insects, Kya thought, know how to deal with their lovers.”
There is some good writing here, and a well-constructed and suspenseful courtroom sequence. It is definitely worth a read – or a watch, as this novel has been turned into a successful film.

JackyB Sat 11-Mar-23 21:32:37

I read the book as it was so highly recommended here on GN. Thought it was just "meh". Wasn't surprised by the ending. Decided to give the film a miss.

Patsy70 Sat 11-Mar-23 22:50:54

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Patsy70 Sat 11-Mar-23 22:52:58

Sorry, that was meant for GrannyGravy13. I loved the book and the film.

Kate1949 Sat 11-Mar-23 23:10:54

I loved the book and thought the ending was predictable. Haven't seen the film but might give it a go.

MawtheMerrier Sun 12-Mar-23 07:48:07

Fleurpepper

Sarah75

Fleurpepper

Crawdogs, btw.

???

Sincere apologies- just checked our CineClub list for 2022 season, and it said Crawdogs.

If anybody is still in any doubt as to what Crawdads are

Crawdad is an American slang word for crayfish: these crustaceans cannot sing, but when Kya's mother encouraged her to explore the marsh, she would often say: "Go as far as you can -– way out yonder where the crawdads sing. ."

Loved the book, resisted the film, because “the film of the book” so often disappoints (!) but I’ll give it a go now and from what I have read here and elsewhere, think I’ll enjoy it.

Farzanah Sun 12-Mar-23 10:27:13

Loved the book. I too was not keen to watch the film because they often over glamorise, and the film usually bears little resemblance to the book (plus this film had poor reviews).

I watched it in the end and loved it.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Mar-23 11:13:01

The book was OK, but I don’t think it lived up to its hype. It was similar to much literature I’ve read about the Deep South of USA.