Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Everything, Everywhere All at Once

(59 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 13-Mar-23 07:58:34

Started to watch this on Prime yesterday but gave up. Surprised to read that it's an Oscar winner. I found it to be confused and confusing. Am I missing something?

Freya5 Sun 19-Mar-23 19:30:59

A wasted half hour of my time, before I switched off.

grannyactivist Sun 19-Mar-23 18:37:48

Unusually for me I have actually seen quite a few of the current crop, some at the local (absolutely wonderful) local cinema and others on streaming channels.

I watched EEAAO with my husband at home and we persevered with it to the bitter end, but thought it rather silly. Top Gun was, well…….Top Gun, and therefore a known entity; slightly nostalgic and took my thoughts back to the time of the original; a good film of it’s type. Living showcased the wonderful acting of Bill Nighy and was enchanting; it’s a film I would watch again at home although I was glad to see it on the big screen. The Banshees was an interesting film and some of the acting was outstanding; Barry Keoghan particularly deserved his Oscar nomination and Kerry Condon, Brendan Gleason and Colin Farrell were all well cast. I first saw it on my own at the cinema and then watched it again at home with my husband. He absolutely got the black humour and I enjoyed it more watching it with him. I saw An Irish Goodbye just yesterday and thought it was very moving - a worthy Oscar winner.

I haven’t yet seen Elvis, but friends who have watched it said it was the outstanding film of the year. Interestingly it’s the only film that everyone I discussed it with agreed was brilliant - opinions on all the others have been divided.

Froglady Sun 19-Mar-23 18:14:10

Pittcity

Well I went back and persevered to the end. Yes, it is about half way through that you finally see what's going on, but it's still a no from me.

I really enjoyed "An Irish Goodbye" though....free on iPlayer.

I watched An Irish Goodbye on iPlayer and enjoyed it as well.

Pittcity Sun 19-Mar-23 11:10:08

Well I went back and persevered to the end. Yes, it is about half way through that you finally see what's going on, but it's still a no from me.

I really enjoyed "An Irish Goodbye" though....free on iPlayer.

Chestnut Sun 19-Mar-23 10:14:02

BlueBelle

Haven’t watched as I know it’s not my type at all a friend who was really up for it didn’t really line it and said it was an hour too long
Unfortunately I wasnt keen on Elvis probably because no one can come up to the real thing and it upset me a bit seeing someone in his shoes, just me I know

Most fans will feel that way, but surely the Presley family are more likely to feel upset at seeing someone portraying him. Yet they loved the movie and they loved Austin Butler. Seeing his early performances in sizzling colour really will bring him alive for the younger generation who are unlikely to get excited over those old black and white TV appearances.

Boz Sun 19-Mar-23 10:05:29

A brilliant film, although exhausting! It will appeal to the young rather than the elderly because of the pace.
Banshees is good in parts if you can get past the premise that you would mutilate yourself to make someone comply with your wishes.

BlueBelle Sun 19-Mar-23 09:19:46

Haven’t watched as I know it’s not my type at all a friend who was really up for it didn’t really line it and said it was an hour too long
Unfortunately I wasnt keen on Elvis probably because no one can come up to the real thing and it upset me a bit seeing someone in his shoes, just me I know

marshmarigold132 Sun 19-Mar-23 09:09:11

Seen both Elvis and Top Gun which I really enjoyed. Thinking of watching Living with Bill Nighy, wondered if any one has seen it and what they thought of it.

katy1950 Sun 19-Mar-23 08:51:25

I've just watched the Irish goodbye it's on Oscar winner and only half an hour long and it's a lovely film it made me laugh and cry welll worth a watch

Chestnut Fri 17-Mar-23 10:02:19

The only one of the current crop I've seen is Elvis and I think Austin Butler deserved an Oscar. He totally put his heart and soul into that role and I can't see him doing that again to that degree. But as we know, awards are now following a diversity agenda and maybe that didn't tick the right boxes

Nvella Thu 16-Mar-23 17:44:46

HannahLoisLuke

I don’t fancy the winning film at all. I find the same with books, Booker Prize, orange prize etc usually turn out to be either boring or unreadable.
I loved Elvis (saw it twice) which won other awards, watched Banshees and was mystified at the number of nominations and I will watch All Quiet on the Western Front. I read the book about forty years ago, watched a hand coloured version of the 1930s original. Didn’t think much of either but I’m determined to give it one more go!
I agree with Chestnut that winning films from former times were excellent, but everybody is trying too hard to be clever and edgy nowadays.

The one you shouldn’t miss is the Banshees of Enisheerin. One of the best films I have seen in ages.

TerriBull Wed 15-Mar-23 18:00:42

Only saw Elvis of the current crop, I'm biased I know, thought it was wonderful especially young Ausin Butler, sublime! Listening to a film critic on the radio the other day they said "didn't know how that performance could be bettered"

HannahLoisLuke Wed 15-Mar-23 17:59:24

I don’t fancy the winning film at all. I find the same with books, Booker Prize, orange prize etc usually turn out to be either boring or unreadable.
I loved Elvis (saw it twice) which won other awards, watched Banshees and was mystified at the number of nominations and I will watch All Quiet on the Western Front. I read the book about forty years ago, watched a hand coloured version of the 1930s original. Didn’t think much of either but I’m determined to give it one more go!
I agree with Chestnut that winning films from former times were excellent, but everybody is trying too hard to be clever and edgy nowadays.

SachaMac Wed 15-Mar-23 17:53:55

I don’t think I’ll bother with Everything Everywhere… I was disappointed Elvis didn’t win any awards, absolutely loved that film, Austin Butler and Tom Hanks were both deserving of an award imo. Austin did get a BAFTA and deservedly so, his portrayal of Elvis was incredible.
I watched The Irish Goodbye, it was a lovely uplifting, humorous film just wished it had lasted longer.
Off to see Hallelujah at the cinema next week.

Bluecat Wed 15-Mar-23 17:38:13

I liked Everything, although it was rather silly, but it wasn't a patch on Elvis. DH and I made a rare visit to the cinema to see it and we weren't disappointed. Austin Butler's performance was phenomenal. As a lifelong Elvis fan, I always felt that attempts to portray him were rubbish but this film completely won me over.

Gundy Wed 15-Mar-23 15:52:05

I haven’t seen EEAAO, yet. Producers have categorized it as a Sci-fi Comedy. My friends who saw it and left early said it was a “horror” picture. So I don’t know.

It was explained by a movie critic as a story of the choices we make in life, and this film depicts how one person’s choice - played out in different scenarios (what ifs…) could have altered that person’s life had they made a different choice. Sounds intriguing. I often think about that my own experiences that way.

Hollywood is a political animal. You can pretty much figure out the why’s of awards. Top Gun was a national favorite ❤️ - and yes - saved the movie industry, along with Elvis 🥰 at COVID’s fade. Yet, were Oscar snubs. Not like the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s where more mainstream movies were glorified. Those were REAL movies, no computers back then.

Comic book hero movies are for teenage boys and immature men who are hooked on computer enhanced war/terror video games.

So many good movies today are being released to streaming services immediately, but who can afford all the different channel subscriptions in order to view?
That’s my beef!!!
USA Gundy

Parsley3 Wed 15-Mar-23 15:48:53

An Irish Goodbye is a lovely short film. Both witty and heart warming.

happycatholicwife1 Wed 15-Mar-23 15:40:53

Right you are, CHESTNUT, twice on one thread. Plus, there's some sort of back slapping event almost every week. I think it waters down point of it all. Lacking good material, they have to give awards to duds!

Soniah Wed 15-Mar-23 15:08:51

I enjoyed it, and the Banshees. I can understand they wouldn't be everyone's choice and my husband would really struggle with EEAAW but I enjoyed having my brain stretched. Just as well we like different things, it makes for variety!

Charly Wed 15-Mar-23 14:57:07

I’m not in a position to judge as I haven’t seen it. But there’s a nice Oscar micky-take cartoon I saw yesterday - dogs’ Oscars: “And the award goes to - Every Stick Everywhere all at Once”

suelld Wed 15-Mar-23 14:39:08

Daisymae

I think that it could be a case of the king's new clothes.

Agree

suelld Wed 15-Mar-23 14:37:23

After the Oscars hype and my son having watched it on the plane home to Japan last Dec - I watched ‘ Everything, Everywhere, All at once’- hoping for good things and an enjoyable evening with the tele - hmmm… Well…tho obviously the acting, etc, was V. Good, and I always enjoy Michelle Yeoh, I see no reason to change my original opinion from that held when watching the trailer… batty! To me it was a version of the moral tale ‘A Christmas Carol’ - updated, with some Sci Fi thrown in for good measure, and on acid! That’s a few hours I’ll never get back!

polly123 Wed 15-Mar-23 14:19:39

Haven't yet had a chance to watch it but did watch 'An Irish Goodbye' also a winning film. Short (25mins) but so magical and beautiful. Loved it.

Bazza Wed 15-Mar-23 14:15:06

Has anyone watched an Irish Goodbye which won an Oscar for best short film? It’s available on bbc iplayer and is only 20 minutes long. It was lovely. BTW if you’re using a search engine, make sure to use the An as we didn’t at first a got a film about a gay couple in Los Angeles!

swampy1961 Wed 15-Mar-23 14:07:30

Froglady

Daisymae

Started to watch this on Prime yesterday but gave up. Surprised to read that it's an Oscar winner. I found it to be confused and confusing. Am I missing something?

I gave up too part way through as I just didn't get it and life's too short to watch or read something that I'm not enjoying.

Ditto!! Such a weird film!!