Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Parole on BBC2

(7 Posts)
MerylStreep Fri 17-Mar-23 14:30:38

nanna8

I wouldn’t watch it if I were you. Those programs tend to be alarmist and choose the worst case scenarios to show.

Have you watched it?

Delila Fri 17-Mar-23 14:02:26

This isn’t an alarmist or sensationalising series.

Luckygirl3 Fri 17-Mar-23 13:57:34

nanna8

I wouldn’t watch it if I were you. Those programs tend to be alarmist and choose the worst case scenarios to show.

Sadly I don't think so to be honest.

My young relative has been on the receiving end of hopeless services that might have prevented his offence in the first place and also helped him not to be readmitted whilst on licence. Probation did nothing for him during that time; and he was discharged to a hostel full of drug dealers - not the best idea for someone with a drug problem!!

Delila Fri 17-Mar-23 11:50:54

A prisoner in the last episode was badly let down by his probation officer, whose complete failure to address his offending with him made it impossible to judge what factors might affect his future risk of re-offending and endangering the public. This meant that his parole hearing had to be adjourned and postponed for several more months. Unfair to prisoners who have worked hard within prison to turn things around in the hope of early release & a new start.

The probation officer’s excuse was a her huge workload and the prisoner’s reluctance to address his offending (which, if true, is a big red flag), but the prisoner claimed he’d only ever spent 45 minutes with her.

It can be argued that prisoners learn how to say the right things to convince the parole board that they’re reformed characters, and many are returned to prison soon after release due to re-offending, but the system exists and should at least give prisoners a fair hearing.

Dee1012 Fri 17-Mar-23 11:30:02

I've watched this...a number of years ago, I worked with prisoners discharged from prison and I have found it very sad that services in general are still very, very poor.

There's an ongoing campaigners to end Friday releases, because prisoners released at the end of the week may struggle to contact Probation, register with a GP and find accommodation before services close for the weekend - we often felt that for so many, they were being set up to fail!
People often leave custody without housing, they can't submit a claim for benefits while in prison and so many require immediate medical / mental health services.

nanna8 Fri 17-Mar-23 10:11:55

Luckygirl3 Fri 17-Mar-23 10:05:01

Anyone else been watching this.

It is so depressing .... why do I watch it you might reasonable ask! I do so because it affects a young relative.#

What hits me between the eyes is the paucity of services in general: support for adoptive parents (one prisoner was an adopted child), chaotic child care system (multiple foster homes featured in some), drug and alcohol treatment and on-going support, housing for released prisoners somewhere other than a hostel full of drug dealers to lead them back into trouble, psychiatric help, proper probation services ......... and so on.

If they go out into the criminal jungle, how can they turn their lives around?