Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Rev Richard Coles leaves Saturday Live

(51 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Fri 24-Mar-23 23:54:20

Am I the only person pleased to see him go?
I'd like to see Nikki Bedi go too to be honest - new blood would be welcome here (...*no*, not Amol Rajan grin)

FannyCornforth Sat 25-Mar-23 14:41:03

He was also my late grandmother’s heart throb, bless her! 🥰

FannyCornforth Sat 25-Mar-23 14:40:16

Janiepops

I am really nice Fanny! 😀 Thankyou 🤣🤣

You’re welcome!

IrishDancing I don’t like Attenborough as a presenter at all.
I have a really high regard of him as a man and a scientist, but I’ve never really liked his presentation.
I love his shows though, they were an absolute Godsend with my SEN children (pupils)

pandapatch Sat 25-Mar-23 14:37:41

Good

IrishDancing Sat 25-Mar-23 14:31:46

I don’t Richard Coles much, but then I don’t like David Attenborough either and he’s a national treasure …

Blinko Sat 25-Mar-23 14:26:12

Aldom

Janiepops

Me too ! Cannot abide the slimy weirdo, horrible wet mouth yeuck 🤮

Your unkind, unnecessary comment tells me more about you than about Revd. Richard Coles.
Personally, I like him. He's dealing with great personal sadness.
I'm sorry he is leaving the programme.

Yes.

Janiepops Sat 25-Mar-23 14:15:11

I am really nice Fanny! 😀 Thankyou 🤣🤣

FannyCornforth Sat 25-Mar-23 12:27:29

Janiepops has been a member for several years (longer than me) but she very rarely posts.
I also thought that her comment was really unpleasant, but I hope that she posts again.
I’ve pmed with her in the past, and she seems really nice

NanaDana Sat 25-Mar-23 12:22:28

Some most unpleasant, juvenile denigration being displayed on here about Richard Coles. OK, he may not be your cup of tea, but why be so vitriolic about someone you don't actually know? From what little I have seen of him, he seems to be a decent enough, caring person, and has been much praised for his book about bereavement. Soft target?

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Mar-23 11:54:44

MerylStreep

Maggiemaybe

Well I’ve never watched Saturday Live and can take or leave Rev Richard Coles as a broadcaster, but really. Slimy weirdo, horrible wet mouth yeuck 🤮, looks to be a bit of a toad. Have I wandered into the mean girls’ corner of the youth club by mistake? hmm

Couldn’t agree more. Is that the best that so called educated women can come up with to show their distain 🤷‍♀️

We know nothing about that poster's age or education, though, do we!!

Kim19 Sat 25-Mar-23 11:54:12

I find him thoroughly enjoyable. Sorry he's leaving.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Mar-23 11:53:07

aggie

My thoughts too Maggiemaybe

And mine.

I've not seen or heard much of him but from what I have seen or heard he seems pleasant enough.

That was very unkind indeed.

Grammaretto Sat 25-Mar-23 11:43:52

Nobody has told me who will replace him? Is that known yet?

MerylStreep Sat 25-Mar-23 11:27:59

How sad am I that I changed a plan tho listen live to his leaving show.

MerylStreep Sat 25-Mar-23 11:26:05

Maggiemaybe

Well I’ve never watched Saturday Live and can take or leave Rev Richard Coles as a broadcaster, but really. Slimy weirdo, horrible wet mouth yeuck 🤮, looks to be a bit of a toad. Have I wandered into the mean girls’ corner of the youth club by mistake? hmm

Couldn’t agree more. Is that the best that so called educated women can come up with to show their distain 🤷‍♀️

Gin Sat 25-Mar-23 11:00:38

Well we are all entitled to our views but is such nastiness necessary?
I have listened to the programme since it began and have always enjoyed Richard’s wit and extensive knowledge. Yes it is never the same when he is not there. I always greeted the programme with delight, the beginning of the weekend and interesting people to listen to whilst I began my day. Whether I will continue to listen depends on who replaces him but probably someone trying to be funny all the time with a less attractive voice than the Rev.

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Mar-23 10:53:22

It's not his looks that I dislike as until recently I don't believe I knew what he looked like.

It's the "me me me" thing I dislike
- though yes, I did hear him speak well about grief ( the spiteful playground "mean girl" in me wants to add his grief).

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Mar-23 10:40:50

I am sorry for his loss but he does irritate me beyond words. - me too Bertha

Freya5 Sat 25-Mar-23 10:37:34

Very cruel, judgmental and totally rude, about someone you know nothing about.

merlotgran Sat 25-Mar-23 10:35:20

I’m half way through his book Murder Before Evensong and really enjoying it.

I’ve never given a thought as to how he looks. He always comes across as warm hearted and kind to me.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 25-Mar-23 10:35:08

I like Richard Coles, I also enjoyed his first novel Murder before Evensong.

HettyBetty Sat 25-Mar-23 10:29:55

I'm a fully paid up Humanist but still find him to be interesting, compassionate and worth listening to. I like Saturday Live a lot, I will miss him.

You can always tell who the mean girls were at school.

pascal30 Sat 25-Mar-23 10:24:48

I used to really like him until I read his 2 autobiographies, now I'm rather ambivalent about him.. I don't think he looks like a frog however, that's really unnecessary

sf101 Sat 25-Mar-23 10:12:51

He has always made me cringe, too slimey for me.

DanniRae Sat 25-Mar-23 10:08:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 25-Mar-23 10:08:23

His book on grief is superb. I met him once or twice as his late partner was a student where I worked in Oxford.