Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Another Great Expectations. Why?

(196 Posts)
eddiecat78 Sun 26-Mar-23 17:34:22

Surely by now anyone remotely interested has already read the book or watched one of the many adaptations on film or TV. Meanwhile numerous other classics don't get a look in. I remember back in the 70s the BBC regularly showed classic series - often on a Sunday night I think. It's what gave me the incentive/confidence to read Dickens, Austen, the Brontes and less well known writers too.
Perhaps I'm in the minority but I won't be watching.

Deedaa Tue 18-Apr-23 20:39:54

The actor who plays Jaggers is very attractive! Jaggers was a different character in the book. Still unpleasant in a cold blooded way.

Oreo Tue 18-Apr-23 21:14:23

Why do historical dramas now always have people in dark clothing looking cold and floundering around in the mud?
I think mud must be brought in by the ship load, remember the Jamaica Inn series?

Granmarderby10 Wed 19-Apr-23 13:17:53

Oreo there was a lot of mud about at the time especially in the more rural areas.
Poorer people would have been cold (just like now) and many would live in dwellings with tiny windows and no doubt rationed candles.
However…. We get that and can use our imagination or the producers could use some of their trickery
I like to see what’s going on and hear it too.

Deedaa Wed 19-Apr-23 22:53:12

When we lived on a Cornish smallholding in the 80s we were pretty knee deep in mud most of the time, and in the dark every time there was a power cut. Some places took quite a time to move into the 20th century grin

Callistemon21 Wed 19-Apr-23 23:25:29

Deedaa

When we lived on a Cornish smallholding in the 80s we were pretty knee deep in mud most of the time, and in the dark every time there was a power cut. Some places took quite a time to move into the 20th century grin

The 1970s were rather cold and dark too!

Pittcity Sun 30-Apr-23 22:18:48

Of course they totally changed the ending!

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Apr-23 23:05:29

Pittcity

Of course they totally changed the ending!

A rewrite but I was only half watching, so half could be right.

grumppa Sun 30-Apr-23 23:19:49

If I had never read the book, I might have enjoyed a slightly ludicrous tv serial. But I have, so it drove me mad. Nothing wrong with the acting, but no nineteenth century character would have said "momentarily" in the manner Estella used it, and to fabricate an ending matching neither of Dickens' alternatives was just perverse.

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Apr-23 23:24:42

All's Well That Ends Well

Or not 😀

Oh, sorry, wrong playwright

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Apr-23 23:25:24

Sorry, author.

Time for 😴 I think

Chestnut Sun 30-Apr-23 23:26:59

Oreo

Why do historical dramas now always have people in dark clothing looking cold and floundering around in the mud?
I think mud must be brought in by the ship load, remember the Jamaica Inn series?

I think what you are referring to are the filming techniques which involve the use of dark filters on the cameras and way too much CGI which makes everything look fake and even darker. This has been standard procedure in many period dramas for some years now, especially Dickens. They are trying to make it look verging on monochrome like the old black 'n white movies to give a darker, more depressing feel. Consequently, the picture does not look realistic because the colours have all been drained out.

Deedaa Sun 30-Apr-23 23:28:54

Well I stuck it out to the bitter end, unlike the 2 million viewers who apparently gave up after the first two episodes. Poorly written, badly plotted with such stilted dialogue. Did anyone actually read the scripts before they decided to go ahead with it? He didn't even stay true to his ideas. Poverty in all it's grim reality gave way to a ridiculous cops and robbers style shoot out in Satis House and a Walt Disney technicolour country wedding. It would have been closer to reality to have stuck with Magwitch being sentenced to death for returning from Australia. And the most annoying thing is still the way everyone kept referring to Pip Gargery, When my daughter got married my son didn't feel any need to take on her married name, why would Pip have done? However if Ashley Thomas should happen to sweep up to my front door in that long black coat .......................................

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Apr-23 23:30:10

Despite what the BBC may think and try to portray, the sun did come out occasionally in Victorian times.

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Apr-23 23:31:56

And Philip Pirrip has such a ring to it, Deedaa

Lovetopaint037 Mon 01-May-23 09:34:42

Deedaa

Well I stuck it out to the bitter end, unlike the 2 million viewers who apparently gave up after the first two episodes. Poorly written, badly plotted with such stilted dialogue. Did anyone actually read the scripts before they decided to go ahead with it? He didn't even stay true to his ideas. Poverty in all it's grim reality gave way to a ridiculous cops and robbers style shoot out in Satis House and a Walt Disney technicolour country wedding. It would have been closer to reality to have stuck with Magwitch being sentenced to death for returning from Australia. And the most annoying thing is still the way everyone kept referring to Pip Gargery, When my daughter got married my son didn't feel any need to take on her married name, why would Pip have done? However if Ashley Thomas should happen to sweep up to my front door in that long black coat .......................................

Thank you so much for giving us a rundown of the ending and the reassurance that we were right to give up on it at the end of episode 2. Last week there was a repeat of an old version of David Copperfield on BBC 4 late on Sunday evening. It starred Daniel Radcliffe who was lovely as David, Maggie Smith as Betsy Trotwood, Bob Hoskins, Trevor Eve, Zoe Wanamaker, Pauline Quirk etc. It was sheer joy and a perfect antidote to the latest horrific version of GE.

Nana3 Mon 01-May-23 10:06:25

Well I enjoyed it.
Even Dickens wrote an alternative ending grin

Chestnut Mon 01-May-23 14:41:55

If you want the definitive version of Great Expectations, it's now on You Tube!
Great Expectations 1989
For some reason the titles are in German but the soundtrack in English.

I previously mentioned this 6 part mini-series from 1989 starring Anthony Hopkins and Jean Simmons. This was widely acclaimed as being the best version ever made, and the closest to the book. How can you go wrong with Anthony Hopkins as Magwich and the wonderful Jean Simmons as Miss Havisham (see picture). She plays her as bitter but vulnerable, and with kindness at the core. This was a lovely touch as she was Estella in the 1946 version. It's 5 hours of pure relaxation, no dark fantasies and CGI, just real people with real emotions.

Chestnut Mon 01-May-23 15:01:14

Here's the cover for 1989. Weirdly, it was originally Disney, but was only ever released on video. The Germans seem to be the only ones who have released it on DVD which is why the titles are in German.

Deedaa Mon 01-May-23 15:23:47

Lovetopaint037 That was such a good version of David Copperfield. Kept to the spirit of the book with not too many changes. Trevor Eve was so hateable as Mr Murdstone and Nicholas Lyndhurst was wonderfully slimy as Uriah. What a ball Ian McKellan must have had playing the loathsome Mr Creakle. It almost made me see why David married the soppy Dora instead of going straight for Agnes.

MayBee70 Mon 19-Jun-23 15:08:58

Started watching it last night. Looking on it as a based on version and, must say, I rather liked it!