Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Trigger Warnings

(56 Posts)
Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 09:53:56

There has been mention of trigger warnings on the Coronation Street thread, and rather than derail that one I thought I'd broaden it out.

For non-Corrie fans, there have been two potentially triggering incidents lately - the death of an old dog and a young man having acid thrown in his face. Both were preceded by a trigger warning, as are many other programmes where anything from drug use to road accidents are portrayed. We also hear of books, including classics, having trigger warnings in educational settings, and poetry readings often have them if a poem is going to have reference to (for example) bullying or domestic violence).

I can see the point in many ways. I would rather a warning about a particular trigger than a blanket 'not suitable for user 18s' for instance. I am over 18, but prefer to avoid supernatural horror, and others might be upset by swearing, which hasn't bothered me at any age. Similarly, I knew what would upset my children, and would have preferred to know why something had been deemed unsuitable, so i could decide for myself whether to let them watch.

The other side, however, is that too many warnings can weaken them. A warning of 'violence' when applied to rough and tumble, or 'shows scenes that some viewers might find upsetting' applied to both a dog dying and an acid attack don't fully prepare audiences for what is to come. As a young woman I had seen so many 'violence' warnings that I was completely unprepared for Death Wish, and the rape scene made me feel unsafe in my own home for years after seeing it.

OTOH, if warnings were too subject-specific they could become spoilers and ruin the programme. 'Butlers might be upset by the implication that they always do it' for instance wink

What do you think?

MerylStreep Fri 31-Mar-23 23:39:43

I’ve just seen on new one on Netflix. Crude humour.
If they think that’s going to warn me off, they’re wrong 😂

Grannybags Thu 30-Mar-23 21:23:38

Doodledog

CoolCoco

Some people should have bit of empathy. A few seconds warning before a show doesn't hurt anyone of a robust disposition, yet some people may be triggered by a programme which has content about ,for example, suicide, when they have had been personally impacted by suicide and would rather not watch it. - so they are informed. What harm does that do?

No harm in that instance, but what if the suicide happens on 13th of the month, and someone is wearing buttons, and there is a spider or a snake in a tank in the room? Or there is a car crash, or someone vomits, or dies of something that a viewer has a fear of? So many things can be triggering. And what if the suicide comes at the end of the programme, and knowing it's going to happen ruins the impact?

I'm not being flippant - I just don't see how everyone's fears can be covered without ruining programmes.

I agree with Doodledog. Everyone's trigger is different.

I had one brother who killed himself by hanging and another who died by accidental drowning. I can't watch anything with either in it but I don't expect a warning.

JPB123 Thu 30-Mar-23 20:33:56

We read the blurb on the cover of books before we read them,so I suppose it’s similar..a quick synopsis.

VioletSky Thu 30-Mar-23 18:55:07

Now that's a helpful trigger warning

The following programme may contain continuous abject misery, complaining and pointless drama

Juicylucy Thu 30-Mar-23 18:53:25

I have 2 friends that scrolled past Happy Valley on their Home Screen when t first came out as they thought it was going to be hairy fairy drama.
How wrong were they so the titles can be misleading.
Since loosing my dad to heart attack in ICU back in the 90s I cannot watch hospital programs of any sort drama or reality I’m not of the sensitive type but these trigger me incase I see something similar to how I remember his last days.

Iam64 Thu 30-Mar-23 18:45:38

Doodledog, maybe, just maybe, Gransnet will benefit from a bit of flippancy. It’s impossible to warn everybody about any possible ‘trigger’
Is it too much to ask that if we think a programme isn’t for us, we don’t watch it

I stopped watching Corrie about 12 years ago. It was another miserable wretched 12 year old pregnant, giving birth alone story that tipped me over the edge. I’d loved the mix of pathos/tragedy/murder/laughter that used to be guaranteed. When it became for me, a misery fest I gave up. It didn’t ‘ ‘trigger’ me, I just got fed up.

CanadianGran Thu 30-Mar-23 18:40:13

For the most part I don't mind them. I do find them helpful on the news, since I can not watch if I choose. These ones are verbal warnings usually, for graphic footage.

VioletSky Thu 30-Mar-23 18:30:13

Options:

Do something

Do nothing

Neither options cause any kind of inconvenience generally

Doodledog Thu 30-Mar-23 18:22:19

CoolCoco

Some people should have bit of empathy. A few seconds warning before a show doesn't hurt anyone of a robust disposition, yet some people may be triggered by a programme which has content about ,for example, suicide, when they have had been personally impacted by suicide and would rather not watch it. - so they are informed. What harm does that do?

No harm in that instance, but what if the suicide happens on 13th of the month, and someone is wearing buttons, and there is a spider or a snake in a tank in the room? Or there is a car crash, or someone vomits, or dies of something that a viewer has a fear of? So many things can be triggering. And what if the suicide comes at the end of the programme, and knowing it's going to happen ruins the impact?

I'm not being flippant - I just don't see how everyone's fears can be covered without ruining programmes.

CountryMouse22 Thu 30-Mar-23 18:12:35

Oh dear, what has happened to Corrie? Bring back Ena I say!

Iam64 Thu 30-Mar-23 17:34:51

I’m old and grumpy on trigger warnings. I dislike the term, it feels infantilising.
Film categories are helpful when choosing movies for grandchildren. TV programmes after 9 May include swearing and violence. If we don’t like it, don’t watch it or turn it off
Like others, I rather enjoy the ‘contains smoking’ warning. Is the risk we’ll be transported back to the 60’s and 70’s and take up smoking again?

Jaxjacky Thu 30-Mar-23 17:31:28

I can recall a day when a warning ‘of sexual content’ meant I’d try and watch it 🙂

VioletSky Thu 30-Mar-23 17:29:05

The ones I have seen have given a general idea

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 30-Mar-23 17:21:17

But they rarely explain what content viewers might find upsetting so it’s meaningless.

VioletSky Thu 30-Mar-23 17:01:28

It's a 3 second warning

Do not see the problem with it. Some programmes describe what the scene may contain but are general enough not to spoil.

Many people watch programmes with their children around, the brief warning allowed you to decide if its suitable to watch right now without the whole programme having an age rating or being on later in the day.

Some people do get triggered by certain scenes. I can very easily allow them a brief moment to decide if they want to continue.

It barely affects me in any way at all, cannot complain

CoolCoco Thu 30-Mar-23 17:00:16

Tinydancer Thu 30-Mar-23 16:50:53

*break not breakfast, far too late for that.grin

Tinydancer Thu 30-Mar-23 16:48:48

I've watched Corrie for 60 years and the acid attack upset me. I didn't see it about to happen. I am taking a breakfast as there are so many depressing plots at the moment and none of the usual light hearted stuff.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 30-Mar-23 15:19:35

I would only keep the flashing lights warnings which are vital for people with some forms of epilepsy.

Doodledog Thu 30-Mar-23 15:10:55

Rosie51

I think there should be far fewer trigger warnings, except in those circumstances where something could not have been remotely anticipated. If I watch "Father Brown" I will expect a different treatment of violence and crime scenes to those I'll likely encounter in "Happy Valley". It shouldn't be beyond the wit of adults to research a little before reading or watching content. It won't work in every situation, but would for the greater part. Too many trigger warnings have diluted their worth. The 100% exception is the flashing lights warning frequently given on, for example, news bulletins.
I can appreciate warnings for adults to observe in the case of PG films etc. Parents will have a pretty good idea of the tolerance level of their own children.

That's exactly my view, Rosie.

Doodledog Thu 30-Mar-23 15:10:18

Namsnanny

I've read that trigger warnings are one of the first steps to psychologically condition the public to accept direction from a higher power, and not question it.
Possible or not?

Interesting.

How does that work? People accepting that the things they are told are 'triggers' are things worth getting worried about? I can see how that's possible, yes.

'This programmes contains scenes of workers' exploitation and greedy shareholders' doesn't feature often, does it? grin

Rosie51 Thu 30-Mar-23 15:08:43

I think there should be far fewer trigger warnings, except in those circumstances where something could not have been remotely anticipated. If I watch "Father Brown" I will expect a different treatment of violence and crime scenes to those I'll likely encounter in "Happy Valley". It shouldn't be beyond the wit of adults to research a little before reading or watching content. It won't work in every situation, but would for the greater part. Too many trigger warnings have diluted their worth. The 100% exception is the flashing lights warning frequently given on, for example, news bulletins.
I can appreciate warnings for adults to observe in the case of PG films etc. Parents will have a pretty good idea of the tolerance level of their own children.

Musicgirl Thu 30-Mar-23 14:55:29

Fanny Cornforth, I read the Daily Mail, too. I get fed up with trigger warnings on vintage films and programmes that are much more innocent than many modern ones. The same with traditional texts that A level and university students read. They have often been exposed to far more via social media than many of us could imagine. Whatever has happened to people being able to make up their own minds and having educated discussions?

libra10 Thu 30-Mar-23 14:07:40

With Coronation Street's current storylines of a rape charge; someone being plied with drugs to take over her business, another character who has MND, and another character having acid thrown over them - there would need to be enough trigger warnings to stop you watching the show.

Where is the humour which used to feature so strongly in this soap?

Namsnanny Thu 30-Mar-23 14:00:09

I've read that trigger warnings are one of the first steps to psychologically condition the public to accept direction from a higher power, and not question it.
Possible or not?