Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Trigger Warnings

(55 Posts)
Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 09:53:56

There has been mention of trigger warnings on the Coronation Street thread, and rather than derail that one I thought I'd broaden it out.

For non-Corrie fans, there have been two potentially triggering incidents lately - the death of an old dog and a young man having acid thrown in his face. Both were preceded by a trigger warning, as are many other programmes where anything from drug use to road accidents are portrayed. We also hear of books, including classics, having trigger warnings in educational settings, and poetry readings often have them if a poem is going to have reference to (for example) bullying or domestic violence).

I can see the point in many ways. I would rather a warning about a particular trigger than a blanket 'not suitable for user 18s' for instance. I am over 18, but prefer to avoid supernatural horror, and others might be upset by swearing, which hasn't bothered me at any age. Similarly, I knew what would upset my children, and would have preferred to know why something had been deemed unsuitable, so i could decide for myself whether to let them watch.

The other side, however, is that too many warnings can weaken them. A warning of 'violence' when applied to rough and tumble, or 'shows scenes that some viewers might find upsetting' applied to both a dog dying and an acid attack don't fully prepare audiences for what is to come. As a young woman I had seen so many 'violence' warnings that I was completely unprepared for Death Wish, and the rape scene made me feel unsafe in my own home for years after seeing it.

OTOH, if warnings were too subject-specific they could become spoilers and ruin the programme. 'Butlers might be upset by the implication that they always do it' for instance wink

What do you think?

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Mar-23 10:11:02

I’m so fed up with these ‘some viewers may find upsetting’ warnings. Totally meaningless. It seems we have to be protected from any possible upset nowadays.

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 10:19:10

Sometimes they are pointless, I agree. If the programme is called Murder Most Foul we should expect that there will be a violent death at some stage, shouldn't we?

I think that if something is totally out of context we should maybe be warned. I'm thinking of the Christmas episode of The Vicar Of Dibley that featured a Tsunami as an example. Yes, the appeal was much more powerful because of the unexpected nature of the scene, but I'm not sure that a gentle family comedy was the best place to show scenes of death and destruction. I can't remember if there was a warning, but I do remember being shocked, and it was about 20 years ago, I think.

Scribbles Tue 28-Mar-23 10:20:07

I was going to say, almost word for word, what GSM has said. I'm sick and tired of being nannied.

Shinamae Tue 28-Mar-23 10:22:39

I really don’t need a trigger warning at all.
I also don’t need particularly in an introduction before a soap this… For instance, Emmerdale “and here is tonight’s Emmerdale, where Paddy finds his slipper stuck on top of the chimney” DON’T tell me I want to watch it and find out!!..😡

Ilovecheese Tue 28-Mar-23 10:23:41

They do give away the plot sometimes.

MawtheMerrier Tue 28-Mar-23 10:27:04

Look away now -spoiler alert.
Shakespeare - history plays and tragedies.

Everybody dies

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 10:39:57

MawtheMerrier

Look away now -spoiler alert.
Shakespeare - history plays and tragedies.

Everybody dies

Absolutely this, when it comes to degree courses - in fact A levels too. If someone has chosen to study a subject they should be aware of what it entails, and they are not mature enough to do the if they would be upset by people dying in a play. It's ridiculous to warn people about death in literature IMO.

Having said that, I taught English in a previous life, and we were looking at a series of texts about road accidents. A girl in the class asked to be excused, as she had recently lost a friend in an accident, which I completely understood. I think we need to be sensible about it, but that putting warnings on books is going way too far. I don't really understand what people are meant to do if they don't like reading about death (or failed love affairs, or illness, or whatever). Do they expect to answer different questions in the exam and have a personally tailored course?

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Mar-23 10:42:11

I’m just commenting on the warnings that I have personally heard.
Not the ones that are frequently ridiculed in The Daily Mail
(nb I am famously the only GNer who reads it)

I haven heard one that has annoyed me.
I really appreciate them on news stories on R4 (I don’t watch TV news)

A while back during the NHS Winter crisis, Shelagh Fogarty played the most distressing recording.
It was a son trying to get an ambulance for his mum, who audibly died during the phone call.

Shelagh played it completely without warning, and did actually say that she should have issued a warning.

It made me feel physically sick and nearly bought on a panic attack, which would not have been helpful as my DH was very ill in bed himself (partly the reason I was so anxious about ambulances)

I did complain to LBC, but just got brushed off.

In fact, I think that there is a lot of ‘scary’ stuff in the media (especially LBC) about health and the NHS that I sometimes think is unhelpful at best, counterproductive at worst.

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 11:37:11

The News is tricky, I think. We know that it is likely to have distressing things in it, and it would take as long to reel off everything that might be upsetting as to read the news itself. I suppose the headlines give away what is going to be covered, and people could switch off after those if they thought something would be too much.

I was thinking more about drama. I tend to assume that after 9.00pm there will be 'adult themes' and don't need a warning for them - you can tell from the title and synopsis what they are going to be about anyway. I suppose that if something more than usually upsetting is going to be covered it makes sense (and I do think that warnings about flashing lights are necessary), but nine times out of ten the warnings seem unnecessary to me.

Sago Tue 28-Mar-23 11:42:06

Can you imagine the trigger warnings before a film like Schindlers List?

Littleannie Tue 28-Mar-23 16:26:08

Fanny Cornforth
I read the Daily Mail too, on my tablet. Every day. And enjoy it.
So put that in your pipe all those GN-ers who ridicule it.
Goes to hide behind sofa.

crazyH Tue 28-Mar-23 16:36:51

I read the Daily Mail too, online . They are up to the minute with the news. This morning it was about Harry’s visit and now it’s about the shootings in the USA.

Shinamae Tue 28-Mar-23 18:49:21

Littleannie

Fanny Cornforth

Me too!
Head above the parapet, I really don’t care. 😜

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 18:53:41

Littleannie

Fanny Cornforth

So what do you think about trigger warnings?

MerylStreep Tue 28-Mar-23 18:56:18

I always laugh at the Netflix/ Prime/ Disney + channels when they put smoking warnings up 😂
Yes, I know it’s bad for you but seriously I’m an adult watching an adult film.

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 18:57:57

MerylStreep

I always laugh at the Netflix/ Prime/ Disney + channels when they put smoking warnings up 😂
Yes, I know it’s bad for you but seriously I’m an adult watching an adult film.

Yes grin. That's the sort of thing that weakens the impact of the warnings, I think. I don't really listen to them now.

MerylStreep Tue 28-Mar-23 19:06:11

Doodledog
I love the ones where it says, sexual content, sexual violence, swearing.
We always joke and say ^at least there’s no smoking 😂

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 19:16:45

MerylStreep

Doodledog
I love the ones where it says, sexual content, sexual violence, swearing.
We always joke and say ^at least there’s no smoking 😂

Small mercies, eh? grin

DeeDe Thu 30-Mar-23 11:18:43

I can never make out if Coronation street a comedy or serious drama type soap one minute it’s like a horror film the next too silly for words
I’m sure I only watch out of habit now, as more and more when it goes off I think what a load of tripe, many of the actors aren’t that great either… perhaps time it went off air and we had something bit more enjoyable all round

DeeDe Thu 30-Mar-23 11:20:27

Meant to start with the warnings become meaningless after awhile ..,

Dee1012 Thu 30-Mar-23 11:32:34

Germanshepherdsmum

I’m so fed up with these ‘some viewers may find upsetting’ warnings. Totally meaningless. It seems we have to be protected from any possible upset nowadays.

I agree with this...I posted sometime ago about a 'trigger warning' which totally spoilt the plot of a programme I was watching although the storyline was pointing clearly in that direction.

I'm an adult, I have an off switch.

There are situations in a learning environment where I can see they could be useful but elsewhere....no.

nipsmum Thu 30-Mar-23 11:32:59

I don't watch soaps of any genre now. I am fairly unshockable.

Saggi Thu 30-Mar-23 11:34:19

Stopped watching soaps 15 years ago when they started ‘blending’ into one another!!

Coco51 Thu 30-Mar-23 11:39:35

How will young people realise that life is hard and you have to get on with it?