Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The worst films you have ever seen

(136 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 28-Mar-23 16:09:49

I'm inspired to ask by another thread.

Restricting myself to those I sat right through and didn't turn off/walk out of, I'd like to start the roll of shame with

Braveheart
Pretty Woman
The Postman Always Rings Twice (the Jack Nicholson/Jessica Lange remake not the original)
Top Gun
Beetlejuice

bridie54 Tue 28-Mar-23 22:21:55

Moulin Rouge
Eyes Wide Shut
Any blood and guts stuff, so no Stallone/Rambo etc

But I'm another fan of The Bridges of Madison County.
I loved that 2 older actors could have such a love without steamy sex/nudity. The scenery/bridges were beautiful too, I got a wee book of photos of the bridges with poetry/quotes alongside each one.

IrishDancing Tue 28-Mar-23 22:26:41

Black Swan - so bad my friend and I had to go and have a restorative drink afterwards!

Georgesgran Tue 28-Mar-23 22:46:01

When DD2 was ill and in hospital for a long time, we were encouraged to take her out to do normal things. One evening, she wanted to go to the cinema. We saw Ace Ventura, Pet Detective. DH fell asleep and I just switched off - it was the worst film I’ve ever had the misfortune to sit through. I’m not keen on Jim Carey nor any of his films either.

MayBee70 Tue 28-Mar-23 23:07:57

Ladyleftfieldlover

Australia with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. We weren’t sure if it was a comedy. (I love Tarantino films. Pulp Fiction is my favourite film ever.)

From memory it was a film of two halves: one half was good but the other half was awful. That’s all I can remember about it.

Bodach Tue 28-Mar-23 23:36:43

Braveheart: Sir William Wallace must be spinning in his grave!

Deedaa Tue 28-Mar-23 23:48:51

As a teenager I remember sitting through some mind numbing westerns and spy films because they were the current boyfriends choice. I haven't seen too many dreadful ones since then, in fact I haven't been to a cinema for ages. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon stands out in my mind as particularly bad and I wasn't very impressed by Titanic.On the other hand I didn't expect to like Mama Mia but I loved it, and I hadn't been keen on seeing Philomena but I liked it so much I went out and bought the book.

Chestnut Tue 28-Mar-23 23:49:38

Hithere

Barbarella - still traumatized but never laughed so much in my life

Absolutely! I saw it in the 1960s and thought it was cool. Watched it with my daughter a year or so ago and we laughed our socks off. It was so funny. 😂

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Mar-23 23:49:59

Ladyleftfieldlover

Australia with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. We weren’t sure if it was a comedy. (I love Tarantino films. Pulp Fiction is my favourite film ever.)

I tried to watch Australia on a plane going to Australia but found it hard work watching on that tiny screen. It seemed quite boring although Hugh Jackman is always very watchable!
Perhaps I should have another try.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Mar-23 23:52:08

On the other hand I didn't expect to like Mama Mia but I loved it

I didn't like Mamma Mia at all but had to watch it yet again when I was looking after an unwell DGC.

Chestnut Wed 29-Mar-23 00:05:44

Films that traumatised me because I'd never seen such horrors before:
The Exorcist (the most traumatising)
Clockwork Orange (the violence)
Catch 22 (the guts spilling out)

Then there are many, many films I never actually watched because I knew I'd absolutely hate them, so they can't count as ones I sat through.
Shrek (and anything like that)
Jim Carey (can't stand silly faces)
Too many to name

On the whole, I carefully check out a film before going as I never want to be forced to sit through something I hate. I did half sit through The Greatest Showman at home because my granddaughter adores it. I fast forwarded most of it but got the gist. I absolutely hated it. All so fake. And it was really hard trying to hide my feelings when she asked whether I liked it. 😧

Shinamae Wed 29-Mar-23 00:42:04

ANY musical…😬🫣

nanna8 Wed 29-Mar-23 01:03:44

The Da Vinci code was pretty bad though the book was slightly better. We need to talk about Kevin got on my nerves. It’s really hard to find a good film these days.

Katie59 Wed 29-Mar-23 07:19:57

There are so many awful films on Netflix and Amazon Prime today, they look promising then the first 20mins is utter rubbish. Why do they bother making them, I did watch a Daniel Craig film “Cowboys and Aliens” it was even worse than the title suggests

Callistemon21 Wed 29-Mar-23 10:10:52

Katie59

There are so many awful films on Netflix and Amazon Prime today, they look promising then the first 20mins is utter rubbish. Why do they bother making them, I did watch a Daniel Craig film “Cowboys and Aliens” it was even worse than the title suggests

I sometimes think, well at least it keeps the actors in a job 😁

We've just cancelled Netflix, will try Amazon Prime for a bit and see if thst's any better.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 29-Mar-23 10:30:59

La La Land couldn’t watch to the end.
Little Women with Florence Pugh ( awful, especially the local newspaper editor publishing Jo’s book instead of Professor Bhaer’s friend so losing that lovely ending). It lost all the real fun and emotion of the book. Best Little Women was the June Allyson etc one.

HowVeryDareYou2 Wed 29-Mar-23 10:35:56

DoLittle (Robert Downey Junior) - appalling in every way
Carry on Columbus
Elf (I can't stand Will Farrell)
Bridget Jones (all of them)
Love Actually (and any films like that)
The Grinch
Liar Liar

HowVeryDareYou2 Wed 29-Mar-23 10:37:13

Shinamae

ANY musical…😬🫣

Me too. I hate musicals. Annie and Sister Act being 2 of the worst

Dee1012 Wed 29-Mar-23 10:41:44

Mama Mia and Cats....just no!!

sharon103 Wed 29-Mar-23 10:49:20

Chestnut

Hithere

Barbarella - still traumatized but never laughed so much in my life

Absolutely! I saw it in the 1960s and thought it was cool. Watched it with my daughter a year or so ago and we laughed our socks off. It was so funny. 😂

Barbarella's got to be the worse film ever.
King Kong but there again it was made in 1933.
I can't stand any of the James Bond films.
Crocodile Dundee.

FishandChips15 Wed 29-Mar-23 11:19:09

La La Land
Clockwork Orange
2001 Space O.

and more recently Babylon

SecondhandRose Wed 29-Mar-23 11:39:19

Lost in Translation

Jaxjacky Wed 29-Mar-23 11:50:59

HowVeryDareYou2

Shinamae

ANY musical…😬🫣

Me too. I hate musicals. Annie and Sister Act being 2 of the worst

We’re with you both!

Saggi Thu 30-Mar-23 11:29:12

Only film I ever walked out in is ‘Gone With the Wind’…plenty I’ve snored through though. Oh and a couple days ago I started watching ‘Pearl Harbor’ a remake of course and it was atrocious. At one point the aircraft defending Pearl Harbour were flying over the white cliffs of The Seven Sisters ….Hawaii being volcanic islands I thought I was strange to say the least! I text my son ( an officianado on films..old and new!) and he said “ you’ve just started watching the worst film ever made mum… you’ll never get that 15 minutes back “…. He was right!

orly Thu 30-Mar-23 11:29:51

Empire of Light
The Fablemans
The Favourite

Iwtwab12bow Thu 30-Mar-23 11:56:40

Everything, Everywhere All at once. Ba The Spirit of the Beehive, Mrs Darroway , All Quiet on the Western Front , the sound of music ,all those nuns singing ! All either baffling or dreadfully boring.