Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone started Maryland ?

(152 Posts)
BlueBelle Tue 23-May-23 07:32:45

I enjoyed it last night and thought it is very promising some good actors in it Suran jones who never fails and Hugh Quashie (Rick Griffin out of holby ) Eva Best held my attention anyway and I didn’t nod off as I often do

tanith Tue 23-May-23 19:12:31

Stockard Channing played Rizzo in Grease, and yes it was a bit predictable Junglebub but we shall see, I enjoyed it and will watch the rest.

FlexibleFriend Tue 23-May-23 20:33:59

I didn't think much of it tbh and I watched the whole thing.

Calendargirl Tue 23-May-23 20:54:53

Did they ever ring the dad and tell him it was his wife in the mortuary?confused

I too thought Rosaline looked too old for the part, I assumed from the trailers she was the mother.

Kandinsky Tue 23-May-23 21:06:01

Found it quite disappointing tbh. Bit boring.
And Stockard channing looks like a completely different person which is a shame.

Calendargirl Tue 23-May-23 21:33:58

Watching episode 2.

Very convenient, that taxi just happened to be passing just when Rosaline fell when out running.

merlotgran Tue 23-May-23 21:35:15

The tension between the daughters is slowing things down too much.

BlueBelle Tue 23-May-23 21:52:05

Well the islands only 30 miles by 10 miles so expect the taxi would be out and about

Primrose53 Tue 23-May-23 22:18:38

I want to like it but it doesn’t add up. To furnish a house, fill it with all your favourite things, have a wardrobe full of clothes then you need to be there a lot. Yet the daughter who lives nearby never notices her mother is seldom at home nor does the husband/father.

I also had to laugh when the taxi driver told the sister he lives in the fisherman’s cottage in the village. I would imagine there is more than one fisherman’s cottage in a coastal village.

lemsip Tue 23-May-23 22:22:33

to me this is dull, dull dull. a turn off.

Allsorts Tue 23-May-23 22:52:18

I enjoyed tonight's episode too, think the sisters fighting was spot on. ,Do think Stockyard miscast though.
It's filmed in Ireland not the Isle of Man.

maddyone Wed 24-May-23 01:07:41

I agree with you Primrose. I’m also struggling to understand how a woman could build and live a life somewhere else, complete with a lover, a large house, wardrobes full of clothes, a cat, and somehow her actual husband and daughter who lives near to her, don’t notice that she’s not there for long periods of time, or wonder where she goes to.
What happens to the cat when she’s not there?
The whole thing is not credible.

cornergran Wed 24-May-23 05:44:19

Credible or not we’re enjoying it. Mr C suspects while not wanting to acknowledge it Dad did know there was another life, we’ll find out this evening.

Calendargirl Wed 24-May-23 06:44:04

Also think Becca’s husband comes across as pretty useless, obviously what he’s always been like.

Who would waffle on about shower gel and other trivialities when your wife is phoning you from away, suffering the sudden bereavement of her mother and then telling you she committed suicide?

Still can’t get over how old the sister looks. Strange casting.

LRavenscroft Wed 24-May-23 08:47:33

I gave up half way through Episode 2. The words 'implausible' and 'not gripping' came to mind. It seems to lack 'soul'.

pascal30 Wed 24-May-23 08:55:47

I agree Ravenscroft the whole back story was completely implausible.. How did a woman from a modest background afford to run another home and pay for all the travelling for a start... whilst not being missed by her family in her absence..
and having spent 40 years with a very boring husband suddenly capture the heart of a rather interesting man... bonkers story..

Sago Wed 24-May-23 09:16:21

pascal30

I agree Ravenscroft the whole back story was completely implausible.. How did a woman from a modest background afford to run another home and pay for all the travelling for a start... whilst not being missed by her family in her absence..
and having spent 40 years with a very boring husband suddenly capture the heart of a rather interesting man... bonkers story..

The mother had found her birth mother, they forged a relationship and she was left the house on the IOM when her birth mother died.
As she was having an affair and her husband clearly knew but didn’t want the family to know she used the caravan in Wales as an excuse.

Primrose53 Wed 24-May-23 09:23:51

Calendargirl

Also think Becca’s husband comes across as pretty useless, obviously what he’s always been like.

Who would waffle on about shower gel and other trivialities when your wife is phoning you from away, suffering the sudden bereavement of her mother and then telling you she committed suicide?

Still can’t get over how old the sister looks. Strange casting.

“Where’s the shower gel?” Errrr, in the bathroom!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Enid101 Wed 24-May-23 09:24:39

I’m enjoying it as it makes a change from all the police dramas we’ve seen recently. I’ve watched two episodes and don’t think it’s predictable. If you say you are going to a caravan in Wales, it’s easy to go to Liverpool and get on a ferry.

pascal30 Wed 24-May-23 09:25:22

Sago

pascal30

The mother had found her birth mother, they forged a relationship and she was left the house on the IOM when her birth mother died.
As she was having an affair and her husband clearly knew but didn’t want the family to know she used the caravan in Wales as an excuse.

aware of all that but unless she'd been left a substantial amount of money my point was how did she afford the running costs and travel..

Louella12 Wed 24-May-23 09:25:58

Very disappointed. Watched it all but found it to be very underwhelming

Susynan Wed 24-May-23 09:28:39

Were I ever to have a second life, I’d go for a lover who didn’t need his shirts ironed and folded in my chest of drawers smile

tanith Wed 24-May-23 09:32:13

My theory was blown out the window as my thoughts were the affair was with Cathy the American. It’s got some iffy unbelievable bits but I’ll watch the last one I think it’s tonight.

Hetty58 Wed 24-May-23 10:02:08

Louella12, yes, apart from a few good insights into family dynamics - a real let down, quite predictable and fanciful/nostalgic.

Sago Wed 24-May-23 10:08:06

I can tell you all fact is stranger than fiction.

My husband was reunited with his birth mother, I could write 3 seasons of drama all of it true but most of it unbelievable!

Sparklefizz Wed 24-May-23 10:46:49

Susynan

Were I ever to have a second life, I’d go for a lover who didn’t need his shirts ironed and folded in my chest of drawers smile

Me too ! smile