Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Wicked Little Letters

(26 Posts)
Patsy70 Wed 21-Feb-24 20:28:34

Going to see this film, starring Timothy Spall, Olivia Colman and Jessie Buckley, among others, at the cinema on Saturday. It’s a comedy, so hope to be entertained.

ginny Wed 21-Feb-24 22:46:05

We are going on Friday.

SeaWoozle Wed 21-Feb-24 23:43:58

It looks hilarious! Such a faff going to the flicks around here though, as it's at least a 40 mile round trip & the closest cinema doesn't show everything 😢

TerriBull Thu 22-Feb-24 11:07:05

I'd like to see it, I read about it locally as some of it is filmed in Arundel which is a town not too far from us that we sometimes visit for lunch and a day out. It's a true story apparently, does sound funny, I imagine Olivia Coleman and Jessie Buckley had some fun filming it.

Maybe come back when you've seen it Patsy and let us know what you thought of it.

J52 Thu 22-Feb-24 12:02:16

I’m going to see if tomorrow. Looking forward to something lighthearted.

Patsy70 Thu 22-Feb-24 12:23:05

I will TerriBull and maybe J52 and ginny will too. A pity you can’t easily get to the cinema SeaWoozle. We don’t go that often, but are very selective so are rarely disappointed.

annsixty Thu 22-Feb-24 12:27:45

Please report back anyone who goes to see it as I like the sound of it.
I go to the cinema every ten years so I don’t want to waste an opportunity.😉

J52 Thu 22-Feb-24 12:53:59

Will do. 😊

Patsy70 Thu 22-Feb-24 12:56:09

Me too. 😊

annsixty Thu 22-Feb-24 12:58:07

Thankyou both 👍

HelterSkelter1 Thu 22-Feb-24 13:07:26

I read it is based on a true story in Littlehampton in the 1920s. And some choice language!! I will be interested to hear what you think.

J52 Thu 22-Feb-24 13:26:18

It doesn’t have the best of reviews, but that often doesn’t mean much.

SeaWoozle Thu 22-Feb-24 14:22:36

J52

It doesn’t have the best of reviews, but that often doesn’t mean much.

I rarely go by reviews. But then I generally like the obscure stuff or things many folk wouldn't go and see. Next on the list is Zone of Interest. Not showing around here, though.

ginny Fri 23-Feb-24 18:02:27

Just back from seeing this film.
Well, there is plenty of choice language but the story couldn’t be told without it. It is based on a true story.
It shows the control, repression and predudice that women had to put up with and the effect it had on them.
Some woke issues in it, can’t say too much without giving too much away.
There are a few amusing parts.
Overt we enjoyed the film.

J52 Fri 23-Feb-24 19:46:27

I can only agree with you Ginny. I also wondered if Edith had a form of Tourette’s. I don’t think I could continually string together such an outpouring of obscenities. 😂

lemsip Fri 23-Feb-24 21:19:02

Timothy Spall was on The One show tonight talking about the film. A true story of course.

you can watch Trailers on you tube!

I shall be going to see it.

Namsnanny Sat 24-Feb-24 13:11:23

_PLEASE NOTE SOME DESCRIPTIONS OF THE CHARACTERS IN THE FILM_

I've read the book, which is so descriptive of the characters and the mores of the day.

The film doesnt really reflect the people involved.
Imv it projects too much of modern sensibilities on to the past.

I was so looking forward to seeing it.

For my taste it wasnt as humorous as I'd hoped. After a while the so called shock of hearing a 'polite respectable' woman swearing, quickly lost any comic value.

If you forgive its patriarchal racist lens (Timothy Spalls character was so overbearing, the neighbour Rose was born in Lewes not Ireland, which led me to wonder why they chose to portray her as such?), and didnt know any of the back story it's probably worth it just to see the array of wonderful actors.

Patsy70 Sat 24-Feb-24 18:39:28

Great acting, as you would expect, so worth seeing for that reason alone, but not necessarily on the big screen. It wasn’t true to the era, for instance a motorcyclist got a ticket for not wearing a helmet! Although at times very funny, not as humorous as I’d expected. I agree that the shock of such explicit language became rather repetitive. A little disappointed.

Sarnia Wed 28-Feb-24 15:46:29

Just back from watching this. Some great actors and actresses in it, notably, Olivia Colman, Eileen Atkins and Timothy Spall. A true story based in Littlehampton avidly followed by the whole country. I enjoyed it bit if you hate swearing then don't go.

Iam64 Wed 28-Feb-24 15:58:29

I loved ut, some laugh out loud moments. Olivia Coleman. Timothy Spall and Jessie Buckley all great.
A lovely watch in terms of scenery and clothing as well

Namsnanny Thu 29-Feb-24 21:36:30

Sarnia

Just back from watching this. Some great actors and actresses in it, notably, Olivia Colman, Eileen Atkins and Timothy Spall. A true story based in Littlehampton avidly followed by the whole country. I enjoyed it bit if you hate swearing then don't go.

Some parts of the story are true, but much is re hashed to suit the audiences of today.

Esmay Thu 29-Feb-24 23:04:53

It's on my list .
I like the actors .
I can stand the swearing - it will be just like the constant onslaught that I hear on the bus .

One thing about my local cinema - it's so cold that I take a blanket or I don't enjoy the film !

Namsnanny Fri 01-Mar-24 00:35:06

The air con can be treacherous in the cinema can't it Esmay
Strangely, last summer it was far too hot in my local.
Worth it to me, to see Gemma Jones on form.

BrightandBreezy Fri 01-Mar-24 10:12:10

Saw it a few days ago. Found it hilarious. Can't remember when I last laughed out loud at the cinema. I haven't read the book so had nothing to compare it to buy really want to read the book now.

BrightandBreezy Fri 01-Mar-24 10:49:43

It did make very glad to be a woman now rather than then. The attitude to the woman police officer and the terrible repression of one of the main characters and it's result was very thought provoking. Also prison conditions and sentencing compared to now and the prejudices. Yes the language was quite something, especially in the context of 1920''s 'respectable' village life but I suppose that is what made the letters so funny. I came away having enjoyed a film without the types of violence so often seen in film these days. Was entertained and had a good laugh in the cinema and had some thought provoking discussions about the era on the way home. A lovely afternoon.