Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Background music on documentaries driving me mad!

(26 Posts)
mrsgreenfingers56 Sat 23-Mar-24 14:04:17

I do like to watch an interesting documentary but the background noise of drumming, echo music, choir singing is just driving me pots! I want to listen to the commentary and what the person is saying and find this drum, drum etc so distracting. Ended up putting sub titles on the other night as drumming really getting on my nerves and seems to be with everything you watch now. Must admit my hearing not as sharp as it was so this is doubly annoying.

Am I getting a grumpy old woman here?

My pet hate at present, what do others think?

Grandma70s Sat 23-Mar-24 14:33:23

I loathe it, too. So unnecessary. I do think, though, that many people just don’t hear it. I think that’s particularly true of younger generations who are accustomed to a constant meaningless blare of pop music. They would miss it if it wasn’t there, but don’t really listen to it.

eazybee Sat 23-Mar-24 14:38:48

It is worse on the radio; anything remotely factual has to be accompanied by what seems to be electronic music, why i don't know.

Septimia Sat 23-Mar-24 14:43:36

When we had to drive to work we used to be annoyed by the background music to the traffic bulletins. It was always frenetic and bound to make people anxious at a time when calm was a much better idea!

Wheniwasyourage Sat 23-Mar-24 18:18:29

It puts me off watching the wonderful David Attenborough, as I get so annoyed by the music that I can't concentrate on the programme.

Grandmaofone Sat 23-Mar-24 19:03:31

It is the same if I’m speaking on the ‘phone be that landline or mobile, if the other person has tv radio on, music playing or people speaking in the background, or one time, a dog barking, it is impossible to hear clearly.
Many, most YT channels have background music so loud !
why? one earlier, showing us around her apartment, plinky plonky ‘music’ ? just shows how deaf we are not !

Grandmaofone Sat 23-Mar-24 19:04:51

OP no you are not grumpy, nor noise sensitive, normal and exsperated covers it I believe !

pascal30 Sat 23-Mar-24 19:08:40

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have silence and/or a sensible clear dialogue to documentaries.. also not having to look at the presenters all the time..

rockgran Sat 23-Mar-24 19:12:08

I agree - I have been trying to listen to a YouTube tutorial but the music is so distracting and unnecessary.

Chestnut Sat 23-Mar-24 23:38:44

I fully agree. So many documentaries have what I'd call 'dramatic music' or just dramatic sounds sometimes, which try to make the whole thing more 'exciting' but why? These types of programmes don't need to be exciting. I find it deeply annoying.

crazyH Sat 23-Mar-24 23:43:45

I haven’t noticed any annoying music - I watch a lot of documentaries….. strange

NotSpaghetti Sat 23-Mar-24 23:49:03

I hate re-enactments too - they tend to come along with "dramatic" music.

Just give me the info. I don't need to see modern people dressed up/pretending yo cook/ dance/hunt or whatever.

merlotgran Sat 23-Mar-24 23:56:24

crazyH

I haven’t noticed any annoying music - I watch a lot of documentaries….. strange

I don’t notice it either - or maybe I’m so used to it I can just zone out.

Moonwatcher1904 Sun 24-Mar-24 00:00:49

I'm glad I'm not the only one. So bl***y irritating. Like having to leap up to turn the music down when the credits roll. It's not just documentaries all films and programmes have loud music that spoils the programme.

Curtaintwitcher Sun 24-Mar-24 06:39:15

It's so disappointing to watch a programme on something that really interests you, only to have it spoiled by unnecessary noise. People have been complaining about this for some time but they don't take any notice.
When you consider all the time and money spent on these documentaries, you would think they would realise how important it is for the viewer to be able to hear what's being said.

BlueBelle Sun 24-Mar-24 07:30:11

Well I m not a young person but I don’t hear it I m concentrating on the words and don’t notice the background music at all

petra Sun 24-Mar-24 07:35:49

Moonwatcher1904

I'm glad I'm not the only one. So bl***y irritating. Like having to leap up to turn the music down when the credits roll. It's not just documentaries all films and programmes have loud music that spoils the programme.

There is a volume control on your remote. No need to leap up

Jane71 Sun 24-Mar-24 09:57:16

Quite a variety of opinions so far which is interesting.
I understand that music can add atmosphere to a scene, but I don't understand why it's needed when people are speaking: is the dialog not good enough?

Chestnut Sun 24-Mar-24 11:20:23

Music in both drama or documentaries should normally be a background sound which the brain hears but doesn't register. It's there to provide atmosphere and feeling when required. It can be loud when that is part of the narrative (i.e. a musical) but in the case of documentaries hardly any music or sound is required and it should be low level.

If some people are not registering the loud music or sounds and others are finding it very annoying then it seems some people have the ability to switch it off and others don't. Maybe this depends on your environment, whether you have a noisy house or a very quiet house? Maybe your brain gets used to blocking the background noise. Just an idea.

I have a quiet house and I find the loud music/sounds annoying.

paddyann54 Sun 24-Mar-24 11:47:35

I like background tracks ,I'm usually googling them so I can buy new music ,I've found some brilliant stuff over the years.Olafur Arnolds for instance his music is beautiful and I found it on a crime drama, Broadchurch

JenniferEccles Sun 24-Mar-24 11:52:35

If a manufacturer produced a tv which enabled the viewer to switch off, or at least decrease, the background ‘music’ I am certain it would be a best seller.
I would certainly buy it, regardless of cost.

Chestnut Sun 24-Mar-24 12:22:41

JenniferEccles

If a manufacturer produced a tv which enabled the viewer to switch off, or at least decrease, the background ‘music’ I am certain it would be a best seller.
I would certainly buy it, regardless of cost.

I was thinking this, that in the future the various parts of the soundtrack will be transmitted separately so you can adjust them yourself. They can do this already in the music industry, just not on our TVs in the home!

BlueBelle Sun 24-Mar-24 12:27:09

I have a very quiet house Chestnut just me but I don’t notice the background music at all so I don’t think that’s the reason
I think it’s just something you can do or can’t do
The same with sub titles I have no problem reading them at the same time as watching the action, some people can’t do both together

NotSpaghetti Sun 24-Mar-24 12:54:54

I love soundtracks in films.
Absolutely essential.

Who would enjoy the "Barn Raising" scene in Witness without that glorious soundtrack by Maurice Jarre?

www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DSaf25lytVK0&ved=2ahUKEwio59C-94yFAxVLUEEAHVS6CpkQwqsBegQIEhAG&usg=AOvVaw0PlOZQyC4-UraAmuM4ap7L

Jane71 Sun 24-Mar-24 14:53:31

Who would enjoy the "Barn Raising" scene in Witness without that glorious soundtrack by Maurice Jarre?

I agree, but the dialog was mostly incidental.