Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Belgravia

(49 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 16-Mar-20 07:20:48

Did anyone watch this, and what was it like? I watched Last Tango, but will catch up with this so hope it’s good.

SirChenjin Mon 16-Mar-20 07:24:38

I loved it - well worth a watch smile

Sark Mon 16-Mar-20 07:27:50

I read the book and am looking forward to watching it

QuaintIrene Mon 16-Mar-20 07:30:48

It’s lovely. ?

LullyDully Mon 16-Mar-20 07:47:49

Yes. I never watched Downton Abbey but will watch this. But what happened to the relaxing detective story from Bath?

merlotgran Mon 16-Mar-20 07:56:02

It looks promising. A kind of cross between Downton Abbey and Vanity Fair.

oldgimmer1 Mon 16-Mar-20 08:18:57

I thought it was pretty awful to begin with but improved when Harriet Walter popped up.

I'm not sure how authentic the speech is. Any experts out there?

Gaunt47 Mon 16-Mar-20 08:22:15

Yes LullyDully, it was just 2 episodes wasn't it? I was quite enjoying it but perhaps those episodes were pilots. Anyway Belgravia is shaping up nicely and I look forward to more.

Marilla Mon 16-Mar-20 08:28:52

I also took a while to settle into Belgravia. But as it continued, I became quite intrigued. It was a welcome distraction from other matters!

I was a huge Upstairs Downstairs fan and similar programmes are always compared. No one can match the Bellamy family and the wise Mr Hudson..

Charleygirl5 Mon 16-Mar-20 19:17:25

There were only two episodes of McDonald and Dodds and apparently if it was a hit more episodes may be made.

I thought Belgravia to be a bit lightweight at first but it definitely improved so I will certainly watch the next episode. I was spoiled with Dowton Abbey- nothing will ever match that in my opinion.

EllanVannin Mon 16-Mar-20 21:09:32

It looks to be alright. Nothing much has changed from then to date I noticed where the young girl was concerned.

I'd been watching Catherine Cookson's " A Dinner of Herbs "----for the umpteenth time on the Drama channel, over 4 hours long before Belgravia came on. Love those novels.

Lisagran Mon 16-Mar-20 21:16:25

I liked McDonald and Dodds - bit different - hope they have more episodes.
I found Belgravia perfectly watchable, but a bit so-so. But anything that distracts for a while gets my vote at the moment!

NfkDumpling Mon 16-Mar-20 21:40:46

I enjoyed it - but will record it in future as I'll enjoy it even more without all the adverts.

Happiyogi Mon 16-Mar-20 21:42:52

Lisagran, I'm all for distraction at this time too! Though I've been wondering recently how badly the current situation will affect programme making. Can't really have big film crews and heaps of actors and costume departments making dramas. I wonder will we have six months of tired old repeats to endure?

lemongrove Mon 16-Mar-20 23:45:27

Have recorded it to watch.
I may have to buy all the series of Downton to watch in the coming months, I loved it all.

eazybee Tue 17-Mar-20 08:20:28

I enjoyed it, particularly the Duchess of Richmond's ball, which was cleverly done, although the soldiers returning from the battle of Waterloo were remarkably clean and tidy and undamaged.
Tamsin Grieg and Harriet Walters were excellent; subtle and understated. I much preferred it to Downton.

LullyDully Tue 17-Mar-20 08:20:35

Just hope they don't keep spoiling the story with trailers. It would have been better to find out the daughter had a baby by watching the programme rather telling us every evening for the week before.

Looks interesting, though " Debbie Aldridge" didn't age much in 26 years so I want to know her secret.

TerriBull Tue 17-Mar-20 08:52:21

Recorded it and watched it last night, got off to a good start. Can't help wondering that given Julian Fellows writes so much about bygone social divisions, if that's how he'd really like life to be today grin

Auntieflo Tue 17-Mar-20 09:08:15

We didn't watch the first episode last Sunday. Then I read some reviews that said it was good, so watched on catch up last night.
Enjoyed it, so have set up to record the rest of the series.

Loved it that Tamsin Greig and Paul Ritter, from 'Friday Night Dinner', were both in it.

Teetime Tue 17-Mar-20 10:19:18

I'm not sure about this - its was all a bit Barbara Cartland for me but it makes a change from murder and mayhem on a Sunday night.

Jane43 Tue 17-Mar-20 10:25:03

I thought it was promising. Every time I see these period dramas I notice how straight the ladies’ backs are when they sit down, such a contrast from the people on Gogglebox watching tv draped all over the sofa or each other!

ninathenana Tue 17-Mar-20 11:42:42

Liked it but didn't love it.
Not yet anyway.

eazybee Tue 17-Mar-20 11:50:13

Julian Fellowes would very much like his life to be like that. He can't quite get over the fact that his wife should have inherited the Kitchener title, if only she hadn't been a female. He does occasionally leave his gracious residence and condescend to the peasants residents of West Stafford.

Sussexborn Tue 17-Mar-20 12:01:02

The beginning of the story was similar to a Barbara Cartland story set in the same history period though, of course, the heroine in that kept her legs tightly crossed until the undercover Earl or Duke put a wedding ring on her finger!

Sussexborn Tue 17-Mar-20 12:02:23

Forgot to say I enjoyed it. It improved as it went along.