Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Married at first sight....Australia

(39 Posts)
overthehill Wed 19-Aug-20 17:11:23

Love this, utter tripe but watchable tripe. For anyone who isn't aware, these couples are matched by experts and don't clap eyes on each other until the wedding ceremony. You follow them through to the honeymoon. I watched the British one sometime back and I don't believe any of the couples stayed together. I will follow this to see the outcomes here. It's on E4 7:30pm.

BlueBelle Wed 19-Aug-20 17:37:38

Sorry I can’t share youre enthusiasm overthehill
Too daft to waste an hour on for me I m afraid

Millitt64 Wed 19-Aug-20 17:58:44

I’m with you overthehill, I love it too! Enjoyable light entertainment, just because it’s not a serious documentary or similar doesn’t mean it’s a waste of time! It goes beyond the honeymoon for several weeks to them meeting families, moving in etc, keep watching! ?

shysal Wed 19-Aug-20 18:24:09

I love it too. I am also watching Married at first sight USA on All4 player.
I also enjoyed Love is Blind on Netflix, where the singles spoke to those of opposite gender from pods then chose a marriage partner without seeing them.
Rubbish I know, but I love these shows as well as Love Island, and they are something I can discuss with the grandchildren.

POGS Wed 19-Aug-20 19:46:32

overthehill

My guilty pleasure as well. It might be tripe but it is fascinating to tell yourself don't judge the book by the cover.

Did you the last series or just started watching this week.?

If you watched the previous series that ended last week you will know by who I mean by ' Jonesy'. Boy was I mistaken by him in the end.

shysal Wed 19-Aug-20 20:09:52

I agree POGS. Have you Googled to see where all the couples are now? I was surprised at the outcomes.

POGS Wed 19-Aug-20 20:13:14

shysal

No I haven't but I am off to do so now. I hope Susan and the farmer are married with 2 children and she loves being a farmers wife.

I think I might be in for disappointment.

Toodle pip off to Google.

Millitt64 Wed 19-Aug-20 20:25:51

POGS Watch out for spoilers for the current series! I made the mistake of looking up Anthony (how irritating was he!) from the last series and it brought up what’s happened to the couples in the new series. I have managed to resist reading it all - so far!

I agree with you, it’s fascinating to see how their real personalities come out, a real social experiment. You can just never tell!!

POGS Wed 19-Aug-20 20:35:17

Well that didn't take long.

Yes I just stopped reading about the currently aired series in time not to spoil it.

What a bummer, some I thought stood a real chance but nice people remain friends I guess. Susan and Sean and Alene and Simon were 4 really nice people I thought they stood a chance.

Can't believe I get suckered into such rubbish but I love it. ??

shysal Wed 19-Aug-20 20:44:08

And Jonesy is suffering from PTSD since the show!

Millitt64 Wed 19-Aug-20 21:15:25

I know, crazy isn’t it! I think he still doesn’t think he did anything wrong!

It can’t be that bad if John has come back to try again. Hope he has better luck this time, she does seem nice though!

maddyone Thu 20-Aug-20 00:04:12

I watch it too, and enjoy it. I thought Alene and Simon would stay together, but apparently not.

GrandmasueUK Thu 20-Aug-20 00:47:36

I’ve loved it too. I know it’s not reality but I’m enjoying it.

Beechnut Thu 20-Aug-20 06:38:14

Susan and Sean and Alene and Simon were my favourites and I couldn’t believe I was watching it. I got so drawn in. I’ve not taken to anyone in the series on now.

shysal Thu 20-Aug-20 07:16:43

I haven't taken to anyone in this current series either. I am not keen on very loud personalities and there are a few! I hope John is more successful this time, they seem well suited.

GrandmasueUK Thu 20-Aug-20 11:01:08

POGS I was also fooled by Jonesy. I thought his behaviour towards Cheryl at the boys' night was dreadful and he claimed not to remember! I felt sorry for him at first when her dad was interrogating him but boy did he deserve it. Anthony was such a brat as well. My favourites were Sean and Susan and Alene and Simon as well. I did have to rewind and watch again when John pulled out the chair for his wife grin

POGS Thu 20-Aug-20 12:04:52

Poor old John just could not win ould he?

What the hell did they think they would be a match? Did she not tell them she wanted a man from the Islands.

timetogo2016 Thu 20-Aug-20 12:08:59

I`m with you BlueBelle.

Kestrel Thu 20-Aug-20 12:10:08

I loved it as well - but thought Jonesy was awful - not my fantasy of a fireman [hmm}

Kestrel Thu 20-Aug-20 12:10:53

or even hmm

gulligranny Thu 20-Aug-20 14:57:37

Just found this, haven't watched the first series. Yes I know it's not intellectually challenging but I don't watch any other reality tv and this does seem to have "real" people. I am so hoping that Gabrielle and Nasser make a go of it, they seem really sweet. John & Mel? maybe. All the others don't seem to have anything in common and I can't see any of them having a lasting commitment.

cannotbelieveiamaskingthis208 Mon 31-Aug-20 14:28:26

I love it! I love the older couple but I wish she would just leave the experiment. They are not meant to be together.

shysal Mon 31-Aug-20 16:06:11

Nasser will never be able to share a house, due to his obsessive cleaning!
I hope Davina doesn't vote to stay, her poor husband (?Ryan) has suffered enough.

gulligranny Mon 31-Aug-20 17:30:25

Davina is unspeakable ....

Although I know Troy is very irritating, that Ashley needs to cop on to herself, she's so negative and never gives him a word of praise or encouragement. Both should be "Leave" IMO.

I do like Patrick and Charlene, they seem well matched. I just love this programme!

overthehill Sat 05-Sep-20 15:26:56

I'm being careful of spoilers as I want to watch it right through. I'm up to date now. Feel a bit for Troy especially when Ashley run him down on front of his friends, so embarrassing for him and his mates. Having said that he acts like a hyperactive overgrown schoolboy which must be irritating. Little glitch when John said he wouldn't want to live where Mel lives. As in lots of cases there are families to consider, I feel along with matching personalities, area should be taken into account