Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Motherland and Number 9.

(31 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 11-May-21 06:54:08

Watched these, disappointed with both.
Motherland was really good the first series, it went off in the last one. Just seems a bit desperate now. AMM seems over the top.
Number 9 was rather daft.

kittylester Tue 11-May-21 06:58:53

Motherland is one of my favourite comedy programmes and I enjoyed it last night.

Inside No 9 went off after about Series 3 imo and should be quietly abandoned.

dragonfly46 Tue 11-May-21 07:12:22

I like Motherland but DH not impressed. We turned No 9 off.

keepingquiet Tue 11-May-21 08:20:28

I really want to like Motherland but it misses the mark most of the time and annoys me more than it makes me laugh.
No 9 is very hit and miss- sometimes genius and others very self indulgent. I fell asleep during last night's episode. I really need a laugh and so was let down by both.

Maggiemaybe Tue 11-May-21 09:01:56

I thought Motherland was so-so and I really didn’t like the first episode of number 9 (as keepingquiet says, it’s always been hit and miss). Fingers crossed they’ll both be better next week.

Kate1949 Tue 11-May-21 11:26:56

I've always loved Inside Number 9. We've watched it from the start but last night's was ridiculous.

Eloethan Wed 12-May-21 20:09:51

I found the last episode of Motherland disappointing but I think it's back on form now. I've really enjoyed the first two episodes (though I do agree Anna Maxwell-Martin is over the top, as, in my view, was her stint in Line of Duty).

No. 9 is just plain weird.

Jaxjacky Wed 12-May-21 20:42:59

Loved Motherland the other night, Number 9, tv went off.

BigBertha1 Wed 12-May-21 22:03:03

Loved Motherland as always but its not as good as it was but I love the yummy mummies. No 9 no very really enjoyed might watch it if desperate.

MayBee70 Thu 13-May-21 19:04:17

Spoiler alert.
I think the new series of Motherland is better than the last one but I wish it didn’t have a cancer storyline.

lemongrove Thu 13-May-21 19:39:45

Can’t stand Motherland, but love Number 9. I liked the first one in the new series so much that I watched it twice, it’s really clever.Shows we are all different, doesn’t it?

MayBee70 Sat 15-May-21 12:14:59

I’ve only got one more episode of Motherland to go and I really am loving this series now.

Eloethan Sat 15-May-21 13:18:45

I finished watching this series last night and, like others on here, thought it was great. Did I read somewhere that this is the last series? I hope not.

MayBee70 Sat 15-May-21 14:14:12

The secret of good comedy is that it has to tear at your heart strings as well as making you laugh. I related to so many things in this series. My daughter used to tell me of the coach trips she had to organise when she was a teacher. It’s one of the reasons why she left teaching. As for Garry. When I was in my thirties we had a builder called James who did some work for us. My ex used to work on the house and leave all the mess for me to clear up. He once started sanding walls down in the kitchen but left up board doors open. Would start drilling when the children had just gone to sleep. James did some work in the airing cupboard and took his shirt off to place over the stuff in there and I was instantly enamoured (not by his bare muscled torso but by how considerate he was)! I had such a crush on him. I met him a year or so ago and he’s now quite fat and ugly so my memories were shattered. Back then I didn’t realise that I was a bit of a yummy mummy ( my friends son told me years later that I was: I had no idea) and could have flirted with him shamelessly. Ditto a farrier I used who used to give me a post shoeing Marlborough Light (I was a terrible cigarette scrounged). Ben the blacksmith.... (sigh)....don’t want to watch the last episode if it’s the last episode ever.

MayBee70 Sat 15-May-21 18:17:56

Oh no. There are only 5 episodes so I’ve seen them all. Feel a bit deflated now....

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-May-21 19:26:48

The comments about Motherland have cheered me up. I thought the first episode was a bit hit and miss, but I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of it now.

SecondhandRose Sun 16-May-21 10:38:09

“Didnt you used to work in Greggs Ann?” Was a classic from Amanda. The reply was something along the lines of “No I was in charge of product development for Glaxo, Smithkline - worldwide”. Brilliant.

MayBee70 Sun 16-May-21 12:51:54

I wonder if any men find Motherland funny. I know my cousin does but his marriage broke up when his son was quite young and he seemed to look after him more than his ex wife did. In the first series I assumed Julia was separated from her husband. I was hoping that there might be another series and I think they’ve left it open for another series but I fear that that’s it. I can still watch repeats and find them funny, though.

JaneJudge Sun 16-May-21 12:55:35

I quite like it smile
In the last week I have binge watched
Starstruck
King Gary
and I've just started on Man like Mobeen - all on BBC iplayer
I do realise I need to get out more

Eloethan Sun 16-May-21 18:56:26

Starstruck I enjoyed very much - I binge watched it too. A sort of updated version of Notting Hill (which is one of my favourite films). Fluffy and inconsequential but, for me anyway, relaxing and enjoyable.

MayBee70 Sun 16-May-21 18:59:28

I’ll check out AMan called Mobeen. I think I did see a couple of them. I’m currently loving 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown which I’ve only just discovered.

JaneJudge Sun 16-May-21 19:35:07

I presume you've all watched Mum? it has to be my favourite ever tbh

kittylester Sun 16-May-21 21:26:37

I loved Mum, too! And one set in Weston Super Mare - maybe called The Cafe?

JaneJudge Sun 16-May-21 22:11:20

Oh I've not seen that! smile

overthehill Sun 16-May-21 23:05:27

I agree both not great. Motherland was better of
the two and inside no. 9 was clever at the start but now gone right off.
In the first series of Mland I rolled up especially loved Kevin. Will continue with Mland but not bother with no.9