Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

More ‘British’ TV? What do they mean?

(89 Posts)
ayse Fri 17-Sep-21 07:20:24

Just wondering what our ridiculous government are proposing. What is ‘British’ TV?

I admit to liking old fashioned detective dramas such as Midsommer Murders, Vera etc. and modern ones like Line of Duty. Costume drama is another favourite. I’d definitely like more home grown TV rather than loads of USA imports.

Just been watching Jewel in the Crown for the first time. What an indictment of British rule in India. Perhaps we will see more programmes about the iniquities of British rule elsewhere in the world and the appalling treatment both ancient and modern inflicted on the poorest in our society? Somehow I doubt that.

So what do the government mean?

FannyCornforth Fri 17-Sep-21 07:24:26

God knows. They just come out with any old toot.

I doubt if there is any thought or meaning behind it at all.

There is absolutely loads of British TV. It could be argued that we make the best TV in the world; we certainly export enough of it.

Nah, it’s just another meaningless dog whistle sound bite.

BlueBelle Fri 17-Sep-21 07:45:26

Well that doesn’t intrigue me I love my foreign films and Nordic murders

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Sep-21 07:49:18

Another load of rubbish, just up Dorries’ street I would have thought. Something she stands a chance of understanding.

Dumb and dumber.

British television can stand against everything the rest of the world produces, and it doesn’t need the likes of these idiots defending it.

We have brains and can make up our own minds.

VioletSky Fri 17-Sep-21 07:54:58

Maybe it's something to do with more and more people opting out of a TV license and not watching those channels at all. Good series make their way into apps like Netflix or prime anyway which are much cheaper.

Or maybe I just wonder where the money is every time the government says anything...

ayse Fri 17-Sep-21 08:08:23

Or maybe get rid of TV licence and Freeview altogether?

Or maybe a ‘new tax’ to take in all broadcasting? I don’t see why Prime, Netflix, NOW etc. watchers shouldn’t pay their fare share towards broadcasting here. How about all users of Smart gadgets to pay additional tax on purchase but just don’t call it a TV licence?

Josianne Fri 17-Sep-21 08:46:36

I'm not too fussed what they mean, but Britain has always led the way where the Arts are concerned so bring it on. It can be innovative or traditional, the important thing is to show our amazing skills in this field using new technology. TV will always have its place.

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 08:48:04

We had a proper laugh about this. They'll be programs with people moaning about the lack of cashiers in Tesco, no bottled water in the co-op and a comedy based on the raise in council tax

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 08:48:27

There will be an hourly morning show with people talking bout the weather

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 08:49:13

I don't know why I have started to type in Yorkshire....they'll be a soap opera set in Yorkshire love...oh hang on..

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 08:51:16

Britain has always led the way where the Arts are concerned so bring it on.

The French, Germans, Italians and Russians might disagree with that statement. confused.

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 08:53:47

Oh come on Alegrias Giacomo Puccini was not a patch on Gilbert and Sullivan!

FannyCornforth Fri 17-Sep-21 08:56:34

And what about Gilbert O Sullivan?

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 08:59:18

I've always had a soft spot for old Joe Green. wink

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 09:00:35

Ronnie O'Sullivan could do an entertainment hour too where he acts moody and beats someone up with a snooker cue, it will have to be after the watershed

Josianne Fri 17-Sep-21 09:06:17

A bit of British pride maybe then?
I am all for exhibiting our skills both nationally and internationally. The Arts, particularly TV, employs do many here. We need to celebrate and expand.

Josianne Fri 17-Sep-21 09:07:52

FannyCornforth

And what about Gilbert O Sullivan?

I loved Claire.

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 09:11:38

Josianne

A bit of British pride maybe then?
I am all for exhibiting our skills both nationally and internationally. The Arts, particularly TV, employs do many here. We need to celebrate and expand.

British pride? What are you talking about?

Shakespeare is fab. So is Burns, and lots of others. They stand with all the other writers, composers, artists, musicians and whatever from everywhere and anywhere.

Anyway, we've almost eradicated the chance our young artists/musicians/dancers have for international careers by bringing in Brexit.

Will we only be allowed TV programs about Raeburn but not Rembrandt?

Its ridiculous.

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Sep-21 09:15:40

It's easier to say something like this than it is to actually sort out any problems.

Why bother trying to do the hard stuff when there's lots of fluff available to distract the public?

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 09:28:56

Oh I know, there could be a linguistic program about regional accents. Origins, spellings and pronunciations. It would be fascinating. I could present it.

Alegrias1 Fri 17-Sep-21 09:33:30

I doubt I'd get on your program JaneJudge.

Too many Scandi and Dutch words in my dialect sad

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 09:34:59

I'd allow you on, I'd be in charge

Parsley3 Fri 17-Sep-21 09:36:44

We already have long standing programmes that celebrate the everyday lives of British folk... Corrie, Eastenders, River City for starters. What more do they want?

Lincslass Fri 17-Sep-21 09:44:17

Alegrias1

^Britain has always led the way where the Arts are concerned so bring it on.^

The French, Germans, Italians and Russians might disagree with that statement. confused.

. Of course they would. Each country thinks their programmes are better. Never watch any French programmes but do like Icelandic, German crime series, although they do like to be extremely graphic and don’t leave much to the imagination. We British can hold our heads up high, as far as writing, acting, production and can’t remember the last time French , German or Icelandic programmes winning an Emmy , or an Oscar . Not that I follow those closely either.

Scones Fri 17-Sep-21 09:51:35

Hopefully it will mean more Cunk on Britain. Now that really was a show that demonstrated all that was good and world leading about our nation.

Just marching off to the market to buy a pound of proper British grown bananas before coming home to some proper English grown coffee.