Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Hollington Drive

(102 Posts)
Armynanny Thu 30-Sep-21 10:57:43

Watched the first episode of this last night and really struggled with hearing the dialogue. Am I the only one who had to keep turning the sound up and down? Don’t want to give up on the programme but struggled.

Zoejory Thu 30-Sep-21 11:00:25

I could hear the dialogue but it wasn't making much sense. There was a lot of gazing into the distance when talking to each other. I doubt I'll carry on with it.

Dottydots Thu 30-Sep-21 11:03:29

I, too, couldn't hear what they were saying, so switched off after about 20 minutes. Shame, really, as the write up looked promising.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-Sep-21 11:09:17

Gave up after 25 minutes, the two children were allowed to go to the park for half an hour, then the woman got in the car to go and get them? No idea who were the parents either?

I do not think I will persevere with this series.

Aveline Thu 30-Sep-21 11:14:48

Oh dear. I'd recorded this. Don't think I'll bother to watch it.

tanith Thu 30-Sep-21 11:20:51

I shan’t bother either now.

Namsnanny Thu 30-Sep-21 12:58:58

I always have the subtitles on, so didn't notice if this program was worse than others.
I really like the actress from Bleak House and Motherland (stupid me I cant remember her name) so I tuned in because she was in it.
I didn't knit whilst it was on, so I could concentrate better.
I liked it.
I think it has potential.

Namsnanny Thu 30-Sep-21 13:00:13

Anna Maxwell Martin!!

Namsnanny Thu 30-Sep-21 13:01:32

Just like to add if you liked Broadchurch, you might like this. It had a similar feel.

Calendargirl Thu 30-Sep-21 13:05:52

I watched it, but nodded off a time or two, so missed some of the storyline.

Still not quite sure which child belonged to which parent? I assume the older girl was the child of one chap, the boy Ben belonged to Anna MM, and the little girl was Rachael Stirling’s?

I think AMM is a good actress, but often plays these intense, troubled characters. Gets a bit samey.

Think 4 episodes might end up as one of those dramas with a daft plot.

Charleygirl5 Thu 30-Sep-21 13:11:38

I also was thankful for subtitles because the speech was poor. I cannot see how there will be another 3 episodes.

Apart from the headteacher nobody appeared to work so how they bought and maintained their large houses is beyond me.

Anna Maxwell Martin was a single parent and did not appear to work.

I thought the children were too young to go to a park, which was not next door, to play. A responsible adult should have been with them.

lindiann Thu 30-Sep-21 13:14:56

The little girl thought I recognised was in The Haunting of Bly Manor

Pittcity Thu 30-Sep-21 13:16:20

Isn't Rachel Stirling like her Mum (Diana Rigg)? I did a double take.

I hope it livens up as I'm really confused.

Daisend1 Thu 30-Sep-21 13:45:02

Felt disappointed could hardly hear the sound and considering another week for episode two when some other series episodes have shown on following nights will most likely give this one a miss.

Ilovecheese Thu 30-Sep-21 13:47:10

Another one who couldn't hear what they said. I wonder how they got the houses to look so strange, like dolls houses, really creepy.

silverlining48 Thu 30-Sep-21 13:48:09

Thank goodness for subtitles! confused

Kim19 Thu 30-Sep-21 13:49:14

I found it frustratingly slow and confusing.

Calendargirl Thu 30-Sep-21 14:26:43

Ilovecheese

Another one who couldn't hear what they said. I wonder how they got the houses to look so strange, like dolls houses, really creepy.

I think many of them were just actual models, not real houses at all. They did look creepy.

J52 Thu 30-Sep-21 15:02:16

Couldn’t hear what they were saying either, I eventually worked out which child belonged to which adult.
A trivial thing, but always gets me in this and other dramas, is that although they live in expensive houses often the cast are seen doing the washing up! Don’t they have dishwashers.

Grannyben Thu 30-Sep-21 18:28:32

I turned off after 10 minutes. I had a good book waiting.

Allsorts Thu 30-Sep-21 18:33:52

Not for me.

BlueBelle Thu 30-Sep-21 18:35:33

Oh I liked it I really thought it was good I always have subtitles on so never have a problem with dialogue
I must be the only one but I m looking forward to the next episode

Curlywhirly Thu 30-Sep-21 18:47:35

I quite liked it too, but struggled to hear the dialogue of Anna Maxwell Martin - had no problem hearing the other actors. If I am watching something I am quite interested in, I usually put subtitles on anyway.

nanaK54 Thu 30-Sep-21 19:00:01

I liked it too, I wish it was going to be shown over a few days as opposed to weekly (only because I will forget what is going on grin)

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Sep-21 19:00:55

A trivial thing, but always gets me in this and other dramas, is that although they live in expensive houses often the cast are seen doing the washing up! Don’t they have dishwashers.

I'd never thought about this before, J52, but you're right! So many important conversations taking place while one's washing, one's drying.

Perhaps it's because all their expensive glasses and china can't go in the dishwasher. smile You'd think they'd at least leave them to drain though.