Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Prince's Master Crafters on Sky Arts, with Jim Moir

(44 Posts)
GrandmasueUK Wed 18-May-22 21:57:25

Just watched this programme about old crafts like wood carving, blacksmithing, weaving and decorative plastering. Each week the students are taught a new skill, with one of the students slightly more experienced than the others. Jim Moir is a lot more sensible than when he is being Vic Reeves and his enthusiasm for arts really does come through. This week focused on wood carving, next week is stained glass work. You are also shown real master craftsmanship. This week it was some superb examples of carving by Grinling Gibbons ìn Petworth House. It's just a soothing programme, always good to see people enthusiastic about their work. I recommend it if you can see it.

FannyCornforth Thu 19-May-22 07:49:41

I’ll definitely give it a go! Thank you Sue.
I really like the pottery thing and The Repair Shop (although Jay Blades really gets on my wick with his faux sincerity).
I will report back!

MerylStreep Thu 19-May-22 08:03:08

Fanny
I thought I was the only person to see through his faux sincerity

FannyCornforth Thu 19-May-22 08:40:48

I cannot stand him Meryl!

And the way he takes over and makes in all about him when he’s revealing the object: ‘d’ya wanna see it?’ (Have you noticed that he mainly says exactly the same phrases?)

He wonders around the workshop like a headmaster patting all the pupilscraftspeople on the head.
It would be much better without him.

And when he puts his hand to his heart and looks all choked up ?

He totally ruins it.
Not an opinion. A fact! smile

FannyCornforth Thu 19-May-22 08:44:56

And what does he actually do? All I’ve ever seen him do is blow some sawdust off something.
And his stupid clothes.
What’s going on there, will his formal shirt and gillet combo?
And I bet you anything that he doesn’t need to wear those glasses.

volver Thu 19-May-22 08:48:29

Anyway...

Thsnks for the recommendation Grandmasue, it sounds really good. I'll see if I can find it.

volver Thu 19-May-22 08:49:19

thanks

ixion Thu 19-May-22 09:05:15

FannyCornforth

I cannot stand him Meryl!

And the way he takes over and makes in all about him when he’s revealing the object: ‘d’ya wanna see it?’ (Have you noticed that he mainly says exactly the same phrases?)

He wonders around the workshop like a headmaster patting all the pupilscraftspeople on the head.
It would be much better without him.

And when he puts his hand to his heart and looks all choked up ?

He totally ruins it.
Not an opinion. A fact! smile

Add
How ya doin'?
All right?
as opening greetings.

He always reminds me of Eric Morecambe, when he used to stand sideways on the Ernie Wise when Ernie was holding the stage and Eric was trying to make his presence felt.

We do see him sweeping and making trays of tea then we all cheer. And mute when he interacts.

FannyCornforth Thu 19-May-22 09:13:20

That’s so funny ixion! grin
I mentioned ‘how ya doin’?’ to DH only yesterday
He thinks that he’s quite the charmer, doesn’t he

volver Thu 19-May-22 09:16:16

Its nothing to do with me but this is quite irritating.

GrandmasueUK has made a recommendation about an interesting TV program but most of this thread is about how irritating some posters find a TV presenter on another unrelated TV program on another channel.

Just saying.

FannyCornforth Thu 19-May-22 09:24:51

I’m sure that Sue won’t mind volver
It’s a good job that we don’t all complain about ‘irritating’ posters

volver Thu 19-May-22 09:25:44

I mind. But like I say, nothing to do with me and who I find irritating.

Luckygirl3 Thu 19-May-22 09:54:21

It is a huge relief to learn that others find Jay irritating - I thought I was just a miserable cow.

Thanks for the programme recommendation Sue.

volver - conversations ramble around - it is just a fact of life.

volver Thu 19-May-22 09:56:36

volver - conversations ramble around - it is just a fact of life.

From the second post on a thread? ??

henetha Thu 19-May-22 09:59:54

I've never been too keen on him either. But I feel a bit sorry for him now. confused. He's probably a decent bloke.
Anyway, it's wonderful to keep these old crafts going, and such an interesting programme.

FannyCornforth Thu 19-May-22 10:11:45

volver there were ten hours between Sue posting -
and me adding my ‘irritating’ comment.
If I hadn’t done so, the thread could well have dropped off the active list.
(I don’t know why I’m commenting actually, because it’s only going to make you more ‘irritated’)

FannyCornforth Thu 19-May-22 10:13:55

There’s a good show called The Arts & Crafts House, which is pretty much what the title says.
It’s quite hard to track down, but it’s very interesting.

volver Thu 19-May-22 10:14:40

Actually I was going to post a link to the BBC program about Jay Blades's life, how he was destined for a life of crime and how he has overcome adversity. But far better to talk about his silly waistcoat.

I'm off now to see if Sky Arts has a catch-up service.

FannyCornforth Thu 19-May-22 10:18:16

Yes it does

muse Thu 19-May-22 10:19:12

Thank you GrandmasueUK. I remember a similar format being used in a series about a year ago but it wasn’t on Sky Arts.

I’m hoping to find how to get it up on my laptop or TV. Apparently freeview Channel 11 has it but my TV is ancient and shows something different for 11. I’ll persevere.

I’ve a passion for crafts and have tried many in my time. My love was fused glass for years and I took up wood turning just before lockdown.

I think Jim Moir should be good. I like his enthusiasm for art. Saw him on Grayson Perry’s Art Club, ch4 talking about his work.

Joane123 Thu 19-May-22 10:51:50

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MayBee70 Thu 19-May-22 10:54:55

I’ve been watching a series on Ch5 that Jay Blades made about Hackney where he grew up. If you read about his life on Wikipedia he’s quite an amazing person and has overcome some awful things in his life.

Blossoming Thu 19-May-22 11:11:14

There’s an interesting and detailed article about the programme The Prince’s Master Crafters on the Heritage Crafts website.

It sounds really good, thanks for the recommendation GrandmaSueUK

heritagecrafts.org.uk/the-princes-master-crafters/

FannyCornforth Thu 19-May-22 11:17:38

Thank you Blossoming smile
I’d not heard of pargeting before

ixion Thu 19-May-22 11:20:16

FannyCornforth

Thank you Blossoming smile
I’d not heard of pargeting before

Cone to Suffolk, FannyCornforth!