Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Michael Palin in Nigeria

(24 Posts)
Elrel Tue 16-Apr-24 21:50:39

A real eyeopener. So much more than a travelogue. Arguably the nicest man on television gently and thoughtfully opens up a country of tragic history and contemporary contrasts as he meets the people and hears their stories.

OmaJoy Tue 16-Apr-24 22:00:36

I’ve loved it

rafichagran Tue 16-Apr-24 22:03:46

We really enjoyed it, I have always enjoyed Michael Palins programmes.

Hellogirl1 Tue 16-Apr-24 22:12:01

I watched with great interest. One of Lynne`s carers is from Nigeria, so it will give me something else to talk about with Michael.

maddyone Tue 16-Apr-24 22:37:06

I like Michael Palin, but have no interest in Nigeria. My cousin used to work there often and he told me tales to make your hair curl about life there. Suffice it to say, it’s not a safe country to travel to.

Callistemon21 Tue 16-Apr-24 23:13:47

We've recorded it and will watch later. My cousin and her DH lived there for years and a friend went to work there after university.
It's a country of extremes. Half of the population live in great poverty yet it is a very rich nation.

SueDonim Tue 16-Apr-24 23:16:06

We lived in Nigeria as a family for five years. I haven’t seen the programme yet but am looking forward to doing so. One thing I can safely say, you’ll never be bored in Nigeria. There’s always something happening, even when you’re stuck in a huge traffic jam, don’t have any power or are out searching for what are everyday items in the UK but can be scarce in Lagos. smile

Catterygirl Tue 16-Apr-24 23:25:51

Tried to watch but both of us too weary. Saved for another day. Dad worked there in the 70s. Oil industry. Can’t have been easy.

welbeck Wed 17-Apr-24 01:24:22

i thought how much older MP looked, he seemed thin, frail in the way he moved.
to be expected i suppose, but not noticed before.

Katie59 Wed 17-Apr-24 07:05:11

There is nothing positive about Nigeria, they are fighting terrorists in the north, a civil war against Biafra in the south.
Modern slavery is a fact of life, probably worse than 17th century, its a morass, but nobody cares.

maddyone Wed 17-Apr-24 09:27:59

I agree Katie.
It’s not a country I’m interested in.

Kate1949 Wed 17-Apr-24 09:35:14

I enjoyed it. I love Michael's programmes. He comes across as such a gentleman. I think it's interesting to see other countries even if we wouldn't want to visit them.

maddyone Wed 17-Apr-24 09:38:21

I think I’m disinterested because my cousin spoke about the enormous level of corruption there, including the necessity for bribes. It has made me uninterested in the country. I don’t suppose Michael Palin will be reported on that.

Bigred18 Wed 17-Apr-24 09:38:55

I lived there for 5 years, so i hope i get a chance to watch. Terrible place is all I can say about it!

maddyone Wed 17-Apr-24 09:39:10

I have watched other programmes made by Michael Palin and found them very interesting.

Bigred18 Wed 17-Apr-24 09:41:00

Hi! Sounds as if you had the same experiences as me! Driving around looking for salt, no power, no water, teefmen!

maddyone Wed 17-Apr-24 09:41:01

I meant I don’t suppose MP will be reporting on that. Michael Palin is unlikely to report on how unsavoury Nigeria is.

dogsmother Wed 17-Apr-24 09:41:59

Didn’t record but would love to watch this. Michael Palin is a gentleman and I love to see his enlightening travels.

Bigred18 Wed 17-Apr-24 09:42:36

Tt message was for Suedonim!

maddyone Wed 17-Apr-24 09:44:05

Bigred, it was my cousin who went there regularly. He told me enough to ensure that I will never go there. It’s not a very safe country by his account, requiring bribes to get things done, and a lack of safety, especially for white people. I suspect Michael Palin’s programme will be sanitised and romanticised.

Primrose53 Wed 17-Apr-24 09:48:54

It always makes me laugh when people go to these countries and say “but the people are so lovely” when they’ve only met the head waiter and a cleaner in their hotel who will be expecting a good tip!

Really like Michael Palin though.

Kate1949 Wed 17-Apr-24 09:51:40

Michael did indeed mention the corruption.

Kate1949 Wed 17-Apr-24 09:54:38

He also went to a slum area. I don't think it's supposed to be promoting Nigeria as a tourist destination.

SueDonim Wed 17-Apr-24 14:36:27

Bigred18

Tt message was for Suedonim!

We enjoyed our time there, actually, Bigred and still miss it on occasions. We made some good friends there, with whom we’re still in contact. I enjoyed not doing any housework for five years, I will admit! I got involved with charity work and that was very rewarding, with visible results right there in front of you.

My dd went to school there and she counts it as really giving her an understanding of how much of the world works and a different point of view to the Western eye. One comes to realise how privileged we are in the developed world, even with all its flaws.

You do need to be aware of your own safety but nothing worse happened other than feeling threatened, which I’ve also felt in UK cities. Nowhere is 100% safe. We’d previously lived in Indonesia, at the time of the Bali bomb, so I suppose we knew what to expect.